Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
namkyu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e

Purchasing a 2016 BMW M4 CPO

Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing a 2016 BMW M4 CPO in MW with 7k miles for $66k. Has adaptive suspension, executive package, lighting package, and DCT.

I have purchased CPOs before, but I didn't realize that the free maintenance is not included now with the new policy. I got a phone call the other day telling me to purchase all kinds of warranty.

I do have a childhood friend that has his own shop so I kind of have a piece of mind with the car's overall health.

The finance guy was really trying to get me on the maintenance upgrade over the phone, but I said I was going to think about it. It would be for 3 more years or 50k miles (whichever comes first) for $1200. Ironically, I am a pretty calm, slow driver so I'm not really concerned about the car getting abused or anything.

Those with experience, what are your thoughts? I came from a 2012 BMW 5 series and I do plan to keep this car for a while. For other things, I usually don't get warranty, but since this is a fairly expensive purchase I am kind of on the fence with things. I did like it that BMW gave me free loaners and whatnot before.

Last edited by namkyu; 10-18-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Full Court Press
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkyu View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing a 2016 BMW M4 CPO in MW with 7k miles for $66k. Has adaptive suspension, executive package, lighting package, and DCT.

I have purchased CPOs before, but I didn't realize that the free maintenance is not included now with the new policy. I got a phone call the other day telling me to purchase all kinds of warranty.

I do have a childhood friend that has his own shop so I kind of have a piece of mind with the car's overall health.

The finance guy was really trying to get me on the maintenance upgrade over the phone, but I said I was going to think about it. It would be for 3 more years or 50k miles (whichever comes first) for $1200. Ironically, I am a pretty calm, slow driver so I'm not really concerned about the car getting abused or anything.

Those with experience, what are your thoughts? I came from a 2012 BMW 5 series and I do plan to keep this car for a while. For other things, I usually don't get warranty, but since this is a fairly expensive purchase I am kind of on the fence with things. I did like it that BMW gave me free loaners and whatnot before.
For MY 2016, the original maintenance (4 years or 50,000 miles) *does* transfer for a fee. Your dealer should have disclosed this, and they determine the fee, which is primarily based on vehicle age. Maintenance extension is best handled in the last year (i.e., year 4) of the original warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

You need to weigh the cost for any potential maintenance required during that time period in order to determine if it's of value. Bear in mind that you'll only see a couple of oil changes during that period of time and maybe some wiper inserts. It's not likely you'll need brakes. Your friend likely charges a lot less than the dealer for service, so it's more than likely not worth it.

As a rule of them, my experience has been the harder someone tries to push something, the less desirable it actually is...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

I would forgo the warranty ripoff theyre trying to sell you. If its the new one, it wont cover much besides oil and wipers anyways.

Also, at that price point, you may be able to purchase new with the right CA and at the right time.
      10-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I would forgo the warranty ripoff theyre trying to sell you. If its the new one, it wont cover much besides oil and wipers anyways.

Also, at that price point, you may be able to purchase new with the right CA and at the right time.
This. Doesn't sound like a great deal. The car has 7k on it. I'm thinking you could get new for around the same price with a little research and the right CA. Have you ever considered ED? 5% discount and an awesome trip.
Appreciate 0