GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
captaindingy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

KW DDC or Bilstein B16 Owners - What EDC coding are you running?

Curious to hear what EDC coding everyone with aftermarket adaptive suspension is using and what your experience has been with the different EDC programs.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I know PandxF82 is running the CS EDC coding on his Bilstein B16 Damptronic. I don't believe he has run the stock EDC coding on this setup to give you a comparison though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
captaindingy
Private
Rep

From what I can gather, it sounds like CS is the way to go. I have KWs being delivered tomorrow and installed later this week. They're going in a 2015 base M4, so regardless this is going to be a big upgrade. I'll run the base coding for a few days before I code up to CS and update the thread accordingly.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
PandaxF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M4 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
My car was a non ZCP car prior to suspension upgrades. I wanted the car to feel tighter which is why I opted for CS EDC coding.

If you prefer a bit more aggressive dampening and rebound, I really recommend the CS EDC coding. Some say it's not that much different from a ZCP car. But paired with the Bilsteins I have, I've been very satisfied.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

I have the b16 and I am on the CS coding. I want to try OEM soon, but don't have the time to go get it changed. I have a civic f80 2015..
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i'm running stock zcp edc coding on my f80 with tractive suspension

i did try the cs coding via ista, but quickly changed it back, it was just too stiff in comfort mode, i didn't even bother trying the other modes, felt as hard and crashy as the stock zcp uspension

i can't see how the cs owners claim it's more comfortable, other than it being a case of having a 35 series tyre up front vs 30 on zcp
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
i'm running stock zcp edc coding on my f80 with tractive suspension

i did try the cs coding via ista, but quickly changed it back, it was just too stiff in comfort mode, i didn't even bother trying the other modes, felt as hard and crashy as the stock zcp uspension

i can't see how the cs owners claim it's more comfortable, other than it being a case of having a 35 series tyre up front vs 30 on zcp
The latest ZCP istep is stiffer relative to the CS. Earlier ZCP istep is not as stiff compared to CS.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #8
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

The latest ZCP istep is stiffer relative to the CS. Earlier ZCP istep is not as stiff compared to CS.
Are you referring to m4 only?

Otherwise why would there be a new istep for m3 zcp if it's no longer in production
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Otherwise why would there be a new istep for m3 zcp if it's no longer in production
I have a 2017 and recently had my istep updated. Noticeably stiffer and I was running the CS EDC before my dealer upgraded me.

Edit: F80 M3
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a 2017 and recently had my istep updated. Noticeably stiffer and I was running the CS EDC before my dealer upgraded me.

That's really interesting, and I wonder why they would do that

you sure dealer just didn't pump up the tyres to 40psi lol

do you know what istep version it is
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's really interesting, and I wonder why they would do that

you sure dealer just didn't pump up the tyres to 40psi lol

do you know what istep version it is
I'm sure since I check my tire pressure weekly.

I'm not sure what istep but I did the update on May 2019.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
captaindingy
Private
Rep

Sorry for the delay on getting this out there.

After installing the KW DDC setup I ran the base model software and coding (May '18 istep) on my M4. From what I could gather the different EDC settings had a much more dramatic impact on ride quality than they did on my original stock struts. I'm not an engineer, but from a butt dyno perspective the differences seemed greater. All modes immediately had better rebound, but comfort still felt under dampened and sport plus overdampened. It sounds weird but the highs were higher and the lows were lower... if that makes any sense.

I swapped to CS coding after about 2 days and I will say that the dampening now seems absolutely spot on. Sport is absolutely perfect and incredibly well balanced. Comfort is just a tad less dampening and more comfortable, sport plus the same on the other end of the spectrum. All modes seem "appropriate" for the setup. That being said, I absolutely love this new setup and the CS coding. The car feels planted and predictable. The suspension feels like its something special, the cars ride is just amazing.

I'll plan on writing a full review of the KW's shortly, but wanted to make sure I followed up on this thread first.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindingy View Post
Sorry for the delay on getting this out there.

After installing the KW DDC setup I ran the base model software and coding (May '18 istep) on my M4. From what I could gather the different EDC settings had a much more dramatic impact on ride quality than they did on my original stock struts. I'm not an engineer, but from a butt dyno perspective the differences seemed greater. All modes immediately had better rebound, but comfort still felt under dampened and sport plus overdampened. It sounds weird but the highs were higher and the lows were lower... if that makes any sense.

I swapped to CS coding after about 2 days and I will say that the dampening now seems absolutely spot on. Sport is absolutely perfect and incredibly well balanced. Comfort is just a tad less dampening and more comfortable, sport plus the same on the other end of the spectrum. All modes seem "appropriate" for the setup. That being said, I absolutely love this new setup and the CS coding. The car feels planted and predictable. The suspension feels like its something special, the cars ride is just amazing.

I'll plan on writing a full review of the KW's shortly, but wanted to make sure I followed up on this thread first.
hi I am curious about the rear ride height of the ddc on an m4. what is your rear gap like and are you adjusted all the way up etc. I have seen m3s that are too low for me, i would prefer to get the rear wheel gap filled but not tucked (still see the top of the tire). I saw some people got 2cm longer springs or a 15mm spring spacer for M3s but ive heard M4 may sit a bit higher and not have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I’m on factory suspension coding with my Bilstein’s. Want to try ZCP and CS and see what all the fuss is about but need to see how I can do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
17 M3 with DDC on its stock ZCP coding. Would not want it to be any cushier or more luxe than it feels right now.
Appreciate 0