Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-28-2023, 06:12 PM   #1
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
Anyone Switch to All-Season Tires Year Round?

I’ve been juggling between my PS4S tires in the summer and now currently on Blizzak snow tires in the winter (NYC).

Curious if anyone decided to get Michelin All Season 4. A set it and forget it approach.

Appreciate any thoughts and impressions you guys have after running all season tires year round on an F8X.
Attached Images

12-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I want more grip in the spring, summer and fall so max performance tires for summer. During the winter, I run Dunlop 3D (e92 m3) and Pirelli Sottozero 3 (G20 330ix and F22 240ix) winter performance tires. I’ve never been a fan of all season tires because I find them lacking the right performance the conditions. I
Swapping wheels, except for the F82 M4, one per year is worth it so that I always have the correct tires for the conditions.

I recently had Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 installed on my mother’s BRZ and they have decent grip in the dry. If you can’t store a 2nd set of wheels then I’d consider the MPSAS4 for all seasons as s single tire option.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00
      12-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #3
kaiserkannon
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, 993

I live in Seattle and find all seasons to offer more grip when it is sub 70 and damp out, which is a lot of the time here so I am lazy and run year round. When it's dry and warm out summer tires are on a different level, beyond the grip they are much more reactive, communicative, and sporty feeling. All seasons are a big reduction in road noise as well.

Besides Michelin we have continental extreme contact on an f type r and it’s a great all season tire as well.

The all seasons suck in real snow conditions though. More of an emergency use case or roads have been plowed use case rather than actively snowy.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00
      01-12-2024, 10:25 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserkannon View Post
I live in Seattle and find all seasons to offer more grip when it is sub 70 and damp out, which is a lot of the time here so I am lazy and run year round. When it's dry and warm out summer tires are on a different level, beyond the grip they are much more reactive, communicative, and sporty feeling. All seasons are a big reduction in road noise as well.

Besides Michelin we have continental extreme contact on an f type r and it’s a great all season tire as well.

The all seasons suck in real snow conditions though. More of an emergency use case or roads have been plowed use case rather than actively snowy.
Do the All Season 4S struggle for traction and spin the tires if you gas it too hard? Which one do you prefer the ECC or AS4s in the dry? It’s about time for another set of tires for me lol. I was debating about getting AS4s because they have longer mileage than PS4S.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 11:23 PM   #5
1slowteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 Competition

I’m running Continental Extremecontact DWS06+ on 437M in OEM sizes for winter in NY and they’ve done well for the last 2 years. I can’t speak to their performance during a blizzard since I haven’t experienced one, but light snow or light snow covered roads have been fine. I’ve been using this setup from November/December to June out of laziness and then swapping to 666M and Super Sports for summer and fall.

Pros: less road noise, better traction in cold temperatures, smoother ride over NYC streets, cheaper, and way longer life compared to extreme performance summer tires.

Cons: Less steering feedback (still feels good though), less traction in the summer, higher cost, faster wear, need to store winter wheels and tires and swap 2x per year.

Frankly, I recommend the all seasons if you drive your car like a normal person. For daily driver duties, you won’t notice the difference. For highway pulls, drag racing, roll racing, etc in the summer, you’ll notice the difference.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00
      01-14-2024, 02:58 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowteg View Post
I’m running Continental Extremecontact DWS06+ on 437M in OEM sizes for winter in NY and they’ve done well for the last 2 years. I can’t speak to their performance during a blizzard since I haven’t experienced one, but light snow or light snow covered roads have been fine. I’ve been using this setup from November/December to June out of laziness and then swapping to 666M and Super Sports for summer and fall.

Pros: less road noise, better traction in cold temperatures, smoother ride over NYC streets, cheaper, and way longer life compared to extreme performance summer tires.

Cons: Less steering feedback (still feels good though), less traction in the summer, higher cost, faster wear, need to store winter wheels and tires and swap 2x per year.

Frankly, I recommend the all seasons if you drive your car like a normal person. For daily driver duties, you won’t notice the difference. For highway pulls, drag racing, roll racing, etc in the summer, you’ll notice the difference.
Your pros and cons seem to be a mixture of both summer performance and all season pros/cons. For example, your cons of higher cost, faster wear and needing to store and swap winter tires are definitely summer tire cons but less steering feel and less grip are all season cons. Pros are consistent all season pros but then you throw in a comparison with extreme performance tires. Most F8x owners run the Michelin PSS or PS4S tires which are max performance summer tires. Max performance tires are much quieter and last much longer than extreme performance summer tires. I personally find a significant difference between all season and summer performance tires with just normal driving. I find all season tires to be a huge compromise in all seasons. Swapping between summer and winter tires 2x a year is well worth the effort to have the correct tires for the correct seasons.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00
      01-14-2024, 06:27 PM   #7
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

I ended up running my all season PS3 AS set straight through the last 3 years. They are pretty good and good enough that I have not needed more grip in regular street driving ( always traffic anyway ), but obviously a compromise.

I do intend to get my PS4S set on -this- spring though, and expect to have time in the next driving season to actually get out for some empty road fun and or HPDE light track day things. Got very busy with one thing or another the last 3 summers, but should not be the case this year.
Appreciate 0