Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-18-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Theory: Competition models get less TC intervention with non-staggered tire diameter

Base models have a 2.3% tire diameter stagger.

Competition models have a 1.5% tire diameter stagger.

Reports of excessive traction control intervention when using square or same-diameter tire setups vary a huge amount. Some people say it was so bad that they had to go back to a staggered diameter setup. Others say they have no issues at all.

Looking at the stock diameter staggers, it seems the Competition models would be less prone to the excessive nannies intervention because their stock sizing is closer to same diameter than base models.

Are there any owners of Competition models that had unacceptably more aggressive traction control intervention after switching to a same diameter tire setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:30 PM   #2
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I feel I have less TC intervention with a true square setup. This is on winter tires!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:46 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

No. TC is developed to deal with F and R tires with varying diameters. For example, it must deal with the situation where the F tires are new and the R tires are worn. At the extreme, the tire diameter has been reduced by more than a 1/2”. Also, I’ve used different setups (both street and track) that have slightly increased and decreased (and eliminated for a square setup) the F and R rolling diameters with no change in TC. Driving style (i.e., aggressive throttle) has the greatest effect on TC intervention. I prefer the torque curve of my ‘16 F82, peak torque < 2k rpm, over the newer cars with the torque peak above 2k rpm, and i have no TC issues. A < 1% difference in initial rolling F-R rolling diameters of base, ZCP, CS and GTS has no impact on RWD TC (huge effect on AWD due to the F and R diffs where you must keep the difference < 1%, ideally with the R being the larger diameter, otherwise you’ll get something similar to limp mode).
Appreciate 0