Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-19-2024, 06:28 PM   #1
Vmohan5072
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Adding to the plethora of GTS/CS upgrade posts to emphasize how mindblowing the differences make for a early model base f8x. It makes a great difference for 2016+ F8x's and competition f8x's, but man, with how poorly the early model F8x's were set up, this is a must to have both the iStep changes made and have the GTS/CS configurations coded in.

My previous iStep is prehistoric at a 11/2014 date, with the iStep modules updated for EDC, GHAS, DSC, and VDC1. These modules coded to the GTS configurations with the exception of VDC1 which is CS. Since I already had BM3 CS+ maps on, I saw no need to update the DME's.

I followed a very detailed guide posted on Bimmerpost, with a few caveats to make sure everything worked well. If you're not really confident with working with ESYS for the flashing and coding, I highly recommend you go to Kubax86 to have it done for you for a very reasonable price.

Below are my personal observations, ordered from biggest benefit to least.

Steering by far the best improvement, you feel more road vibrations and it feels more responsive to turn-in. All three modes saw an increase of weight, with comfort only being a little more heavy. The best part by far is the removal of the center dead zone. It felt atrocious before, it reminded me of my 200 dollar logitech G29 wheel, and always has bothered me. Now, the steering weight feels consistent at the center point and feels more satisfying to turn the wheel.

Diff is great, when you push the car through corners hard it actually hunts for grip better without trying to put the car into a slide. It feels addicting to push the car harder in the corners as the rear end just feels more planted. A side effect is that it seems like the diff locks quicker upon take off, there is less of a hesitation driving off from a stop as well as doing 3 point turns.

MDM is less restrictive now. If I had to make a scale where DSC is 100% and DSC off is 0%, the old MDM is 80% and the new MDM is closer to 50-60%. Easier to put the power down while still having a fail-safe.

CD EDC on a base F8x is a double edged sword. It does feels softer and more ride compliant on the road on comfort mode, but a side effect is the car has more side to side sway because CS is supposed to have ZCP dampers, springs, and ZCP rear sway bar. I have them already sitting in a box I just need to install next, so that's why I elected to keep the CS coding on. If there are no plans to do so, I would personally recommend that CS EDC gives too much sway to be much of an upgrade on the base car. Will update once the new suspension is put on.

Before, the early year F8x felt like a lot of great parts on a car that did not mesh well together, with poor steering and poor grip standing out to me. Now it feels like the orchestra of physical components has a capable conductor to lead. This almost feels like a new car to me, and it genuinely excites me to go and find excuses to drive the car. If there was any hesitation to get the car updated and coded, absolutely do it!
Appreciate 1