Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #67
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem3fan View Post
Devil's Advocate:

Why is everyone here assuming the OEM brakes with the traditional brake discs won't be good enough?

It is quite the opposite, there is only one poster in this thread that is insisting on that point
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #68
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
gee-m-w was sent here by the Audi board to makes you guys insane, don't fall for it.

One thing to keep in mind with CCB if you track the car much is resale, you'll either be selling it with some scrappy looking ceramic rotors that the buyer will balk at considering replacement cost or replace with steel and be asked where the ceramics are, either way a savvy buyer knows.

Well used PCCBs on Porsches are considered a liability and deduct for resale, that's why they get pulled off for track work, sad but true. You can tell a well tracked PCCB rotor from not, the surface looks different, pitted. There is little delta between PCCB and steel Porsches in the second hand market, and that's if the PCCBs are clean. If you buy them you won't be seeing much value when you sell.

Ideal buyer for CCB IMO:
-money no object DD/track car, replace rotors as needed
-DD with ne plus ultra brakes for show, I'm in this camp

The steel brakes on the new M will be great with pads and fluid, no one should feel the need to go CCB for trackwork.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #69
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

If you seriously don't think you need this option, then you seriously don't even need an M3. Just get a $60,000 335i with every option. Really if you don't need these brakes then you don't need to save 8 pounds in the roof.
      02-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #70
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

The street car on top is the perfect car for CCB. The cup car on the bottom is not a car you put CCB on. Got it? Don't get it twisted.
Attached Images

02-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #71
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
The street car on top is the perfect car for CCB. The cup car on the bottom is not a car you put CCB on. Got it? Don't get it twisted.
You have far to much time on your hands. Astonishing how much time you spend trolling other car forums. Why did you even join this forum if you're only going to rep Audi and are not even considering buying an M3. Go take your research to audizine.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #72
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Porsche guys who used other track pads ruined their CCB rotors much faster than the ones who used the Porsche track pads.

At risk of getting dragged down in this sinking ship of a thread thanks to our resident successful troll, I want to address this point.

The Porsche guys "who used other track pads" on their PCCB rotors are idiots. PCCB was - and to an extent still is - a relatively unusual technology, and using something other than what was officially blessed by PCAG, PCNA, PMNA or whoever would be strictly at the user's own risk. For that user to slap on a Hawk Blue and then complain of fast PCCB rotor wear would be completely disingenuous.

My hope for CCB this time around is that BMW or their supplier has learned from all the CCB trials and errors of the past decade or so, and applied that knowledge into creating a superior braking solution to iron rotors. That is merely a hope. I would love to hear about M5 or M6 guys' track experience with CCB.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #73
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
If you seriously don't think you need this option, then you seriously don't even need an M3. Just get a $60,000 335i with every option. Really if you don't need these brakes then you don't need to save 8 pounds in the roof.
Your a very serious buyer I can tell.

I have a GT3RS I instruct in, it came with PCCBs I replaced with steel. The only difference I could feel at COTA was slightly more pedal pressure for the steels, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #74
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
The Porsche guys "who used other track pads" on their PCCB rotors are idiots. PCCB was - and to an extent still is - a relatively unusual technology, and using something other than what was officially blessed by PCAG, PCNA, PMNA or whoever would be strictly at the user's own risk. For that user to slap on a Hawk Blue and then complain of fast PCCB rotor wear would be completely disingenuous.
The Porsche OEM pad for PCCB is Pagid P50 Green. The Pagid RSC1 is just one grade more abrasive and will last a lot longer. You're on your own when you do this, but it should keep you out of trouble as far as accidentally scoring the rotor with a pad backing because the pad wore so quickly.
      02-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #75
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Your a very serious buyer I can tell.

I have a GT3RS I instruct in, it came with PCCBs I replaced with steel. The only difference I could feel at COTA was slightly more pedal pressure for the steels, that's it.
It's a sports sedan. We need all the help we can get. Jealous you drove on circuit of the americas. I have to figure out how to make that happen...
      02-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #76
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Thank you for this input. This is the type of experience based feedback I am looking for
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #77
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Thank you for this input. This is the type of experience based feedback I am looking for
Exactly, and it seems to echo the sentiments of many Porsche guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #78
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Can't believe this is still going on
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #79
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Cant believe you guys are still arguing with him.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #80
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

You guys should all write letters to BMW for offering such a stupid option. What are they doing to the brand offering high end motorsports parts? This is a street car. We need things like a tablet on the dash with a live dyno chart. Glowing LED seats. What if I want to hear electric car sound through the speakers? These are the options we should be talking about.

Clearly CCB are overkill for any and all use cases you can think of, from going to Target all the way up to cup racing.

For the old timers I'd like you to link some usenet posts where you all talked down disc brakes and "stuck with drums" because "that's how it was in the 70's" and "because BMW 2002i" and "Roundel said drums are easier to maintain".

I also find it completely illogical that on the one hand, 99% of owners treat their cars like garbage for 4 years and 50,000 miles and blame everything that goes wrong on BMW. You'll drive around with broken parts with 2 weeks waiting for a dealer appointment instead of just getting it fixed. But at the same time everyone is worried what will happen to these brakes at 100,000 miles. 70% of people will lease the car because the residuals are attractive, so they're out. 20% of the people will sell it before it has 50k miles. A few people who claim to keep an ultra high end luxury car for a decade (I've never met one) are worried that even though they rode the depreciation curve all the way down, that an expensive brake job is keeping them on the fence. I don't think anyone is serious or has given it much thought.

What most of you are trying to say is you can't get your head around an $8100 option. You're so put off by the price that you can't see the value. So you come up with reasons why it's a trick, or why it's bad technology, or what the 1999 Porsche Turbo guys are doing.

Last edited by gee-m-w; 02-21-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #81
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w
You guys should all write letters to BMW for offering such a stupid option. What are they doing to the brand offering high end motorsports parts? This is a street car. We need things like a tablet on the dash with a live dyno chart. Glowing LED seats. What if I want to hear electric car sound through the speakers? These are the options we should be talking about.

Clearly CCB are overkill for any and all use cases you can think of, from going to Target all the way up to cup racing.

For the old timers I'd like you to link some usenet posts where you all talked down disc brakes and "stuck with drums" because "that's how it was in the 70's" and "because BMW 2002i" and "Roundel said drums are easier to maintain".

I also find it completely illogical that on the one hand, 99% of owners treat their cars like garbage for 4 years and 50,000 miles and blame everything that goes wrong on BMW. You'll drive around with broken parts with 2 weeks waiting for a dealer appointment instead of just getting it fixed. But at the same time everyone is worried what will happen to these brakes at 100,000 miles. 70% of people will lease the car because the residuals are attractive, so they're out. 20% of the people will sell it before it has 50k miles. A few people who claim to keep an ultra high end luxury car for a decade (I've never met one) are worried that even though they rode the depreciation curve all the way down, that an expensive brake job is keeping them on the fence. I don't think anyone is serious or has given it much thought.

What most of you are trying to say is you can't get your head around an $8100 option. You're so put off by the price that you can't see the value. So you come up with reasons why it's a trick, or why it's bad technology, or what the 1999 Porsche Turbo guys are doing.
You must have a lot of free time to sit around and argue all day.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #82
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Oh come on now. That's quite the exaggeration. The F30 335i and F80 M3 are separated by far more than just their brakes.

I once had the M Sport F30 335i with the M Performance Brakes. The calipers (4/2 front/rear fixed Brembo calipers) in the M Performance kit are the exact same calipers that will be utilized with the steel, cross-drilled rotors on the F80/F82. The rotors included in the upgrade were only dimpled (partially drilled) and slotted but overall, as a package, the brakes worked tremendously well. They delivered a naturally progressive and linear pedal feel. Granted it was only one track weekend (I didn't have the car for long) but they performed flawlessly. Very confidence-inspiring.

The overwhelming majority of the AMG Driving Academy cars are fitted with the same steel rotors (cross-drilled and slotted) and monster Brembo calipers that factory AMG cars roll off the line with.

They don't even change out the fluid or pads.

These cars take an absolutely beating, over and over again, and the brakes just keep on working.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #83
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

you have an awfully easy time justifying $8,150 for upgraded brakes (which in the opinion of most on here, are unnecessary and disadvantageous for long-term use) considering you also harp about how you don't see the M3 being worth it for an extra $12k over the price of an S4.

GFY. you're in no position to call the M3 owners on here cheap for not ticking the box on this option, for a multitude of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #84
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
We're not.

We are just exchanging useful info in between his funny posts
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #85
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:

Ordered every option except ccb. Don't need them. You're a joke.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #86
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330
Quote:

Ordered every option except ccb. Don't need them. You're a joke.
Same here , except power shades cause I will tint heavily
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #87
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:

No, it is an opinion that most of us will not get the unnecessary CCB option. If you are still allowed to come here and spread amazing delusion, then we, as ACTUAL BMW owners, are allowed to say whether or not we will buy this option. The thread is aftermarket vs CCB is it not? It is not justifiable to purchase this option when the stock are most likely great for OUR OWN applications. If not, the majority will still only purchase aftermarket because it makes far more sense. That is just my opinion. It seems to be quite popular too from what I have read so far.
      02-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #88
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

When a option is 1/10 of the price of the car for a marginal daily difference I think is hard for people(including me) to wrap their head around it. If I was spending 180k on a car it would be a different story.
Appreciate 0