GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
TasteTheRambo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

The Driveshaft Shop Rear Axle upgraded a Bad Pair or Bad Quality, Advice Needed!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys, Im going through a terrible experience, maybe this would help out others planing to do this upgrade or maybe I just got the S**** end of the stick. I recently just picked up my car two days ago from a local very well known experienced Mod Friendly BMW dealer in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I took the car in for servicing they put their best guy to work on my car since it was heavily modified.

I originally purchased a brand new pair of Rear Axle from the dealer, I then had them shipped to (The Driveshaft Shop) for upgrading. They were shipped back once the upgrade was completed. I ended up taking them in to my local BMW dealer and requesting to switch my current rear axles with the new upgraded Axle. Once the car was completed and ready to go it was driven home right away parked until today, Its been heavily raining so I decided to wait until today for a test drive and head out for a cruise, as Im about 5 minutes away from home I started hearing a noise that would come and go, the noise would increase as I reached 20 mph, I decided to head back home to figure out the issue, Since was just recently completed at the dealer and I never had the chance to test it out. I raised the car using My Quick Jack I then realize the Boot on my right side rear axle is missing the large clamp. Grease was everywhere, All over my air lift suspensions, rims, you name it. I started reaching out to the dealer and the had mentioned that the axles were originally upgraded with large clamps and much more and they cant do much about it, also to reached out to Driveshaft Shop. I Called the Driveshaft Shop couple times and no answer, As this I am not surprised and it isn't New to me, I had previously called them for custom upgrades they took down my info and never emailed or even called back. I have called them multiple times for a custom upgrade, it was always the same process. Now Im lost as what to do. Paid for new axles, upgraded the axles, paid to get them installed, and now this. I will attach photos as I have no clue where to buy the clamp they originally used. Also the Dealer had called back and mentioned I might need to buy a new axle and replace it and go through same process. This is extremely Frustrating. If anyone has gone through the upgrade and have had a great experience or the same issue let me know what you did and if any advice on figuring out how to solve this issue would truly be appreciated. I cant seem to find this Clamp locally.
Attached Images

Last edited by TasteTheRambo; 06-21-2019 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C;12 X5 35D;Turbo E46 M3

Regardless of install or how the part was shipped it sucks and now you gotta deal with it. IMO based on the information the installer is the problem here but it's pointless to point fingers because the problem is very apparent.
Clean the grease...repack the boot and put a new clamp on with your nice Quickjack. Eventually you will get in contact with DSS; they make good stuff but communication isn't their strong suite. You're not out any money or failed equipment from the looks of things.
      06-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
TasteTheRambo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Regardless of install or how the part was shipped it sucks and now you gotta deal with it. IMO based on the information the installer is the problem here but it's pointless to point fingers because the problem is very apparent.
Clean the grease...repack the boot and put a new clamp on with your nice Quickjack. Eventually you will get in contact with DSS; they make good stuff but communication isn't their strong suite. You're not out any money or failed equipment from the looks of things.
Exactly that's the issue, The dealer will always point fingers at its an after Market part. The usual. I took a look on the left side axle to find it also not tightened and fitted well. Sadly I was not expecting to go through this issue at all, I had high expectations from Driveshaft Shop compared to Stock. But it is what it is, I appreciate the respond, I'm not sure if anyone else has been through this. A perfect start to a summer. Luckily the boot is still in great condition and I'm guessing it was also not tightened well and shipped. A good clean, refill the boot and clamp is the only option. I did email driveshaft shop about this issue. But will see.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #4
Commanderwiggin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C;12 X5 35D;Turbo E46 M3

For what it's worth I've had DSS axles for over 5 years with no issue.
      06-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
rnguyennnn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
X2.

DSS axles w. well over 900whp here. Looks like installer problem. The axles can get a bit tricky during install. The sound you hear is a slight screech iím sure. Itís just leaking grease from the boot. As long as it doesnít go dry youíll be fine and wonít really need to send it back to DSS. Find an independent euro shop that knows their chit and drop the dealer as they wonít be able to help you. DSS axles are very common on GTRís and what not so iím pretty sure any high performance shop can help you.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
maximumpsi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3, 02 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The issue is the dss axles that you have require clearancing of the area near the outboard clamp. Without that, the clamp contacts the upright and rips it off, resulting in this issue. I had DSS use a smaller outer boot design that requires no clearancing on the last set that I ordered.

The DSS Driveshaft also needs additional mods to ensure it does not contact the vehicle.

I have provided pics and info to DSS so they can inform customers/installers.
Appreciate 3