R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Rear bumper repair not allowed by BMW?

Someone played bumper cars with my friend's M3 in a parking lot which resulted in some small scuffs on the rear bumper. Their license plate screw dug in to the paint a little but so it will need to be spot repaired. It's very small and barely noticeable, but having trouble finding someone who is willing to fix it.

A BMW certified body shop (not the dealer) says BMW's official policy is that they're not allowed to repair bumpers on cars with lane departure sensors in it. They will only do a full replacement due to liability concerns.
I was able to find the part they're talking about: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=66_0280

Couldn't find much info regarding the placement of these sensors, mostly trying to find out if they're attached to the bumper cover or to the body directly.
Not sure how the sensors would be blocked by paint, clearcoat, or even body filler if it was even worse.

Is BMW corporate just trying to force everyone into buying new bumpers here?

Anyone ever experience something like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ahhh the dealership....not much goes on besides remove and replace.

they are not a body shop...they likely have a body shop in their family or it is outsourced. every BMW shop is NJ is certified yet some send their work out.

so what the dealer is telling you is this...they don't want to repair your bumper.

they make their cut on parts and you only take up a service bay for a few hours.

find a body shop to fix that. also if you dont have mineral white or some wild color...its pretty standard
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      07-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
ahhh the dealership....not much goes on besides remove and replace.

they are not a body shop...they likely have a body shop in their family or it is outsourced. every BMW shop is NJ is certified yet some send their work out.

so what the dealer is telling you is this...they don't want to repair your bumper.

they make their cut on parts and you only take up a service bay for a few hours.

find a body shop to fix that. also if you dont have mineral white or some wild color...its pretty standard
not the dealer. just a bmw certified body shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

BMW certified means absolutely nothing...any body shop can get any part for any make.

Find the best bodyshop you can and use them.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34176.50
arashir164.00
      07-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nrad View Post
not the dealer. just a bmw certified body shop.
theres not such thing as a certified shop. participation trophies and marketing schemes.

not trying to sound all illumnati; but BSM is a pretty straightforward color. any good body shop will have it as good as new
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      07-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
theres not such thing as a certified shop. participation trophies and marketing schemes.

not trying to sound all illumnati; but BSM is a pretty straightforward color. any good body shop will have it as good as new
Is Mineral White that hard to fix of match the color? asking since I'm looking at a MW right now... I was planning to ppf the car when it arrives..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Yes mineral white is harder to match
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I don't get any of the argument that they're trying to make. Replacement parts don't come painted from the factory anyway, so the body shop part is unavoidable
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I don't get any of the argument that they're trying to make. Replacement parts don't come painted from the factory anyway, so the body shop part is unavoidable
sometimes just gotta read between the lines and assume they don;t want the work for some reason
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Is Mineral White that hard to fix of match the color? asking since I'm looking at a MW right now... I was planning to ppf the car when it arrives..
youll spend a fortune since youll require so much paint correction on a used car.

no point of PPF if the paint underneath is battered just the same.

save your money; you hit a big enough rock I don't care whats on your bumper. Although I would been saved the scraping incident on mine.

MW is not hard to match at all. depends how many coats you wish to add to undamaged panels just to blend. The bumper always looks off and it should being plastic...and likely the part thats going to be damaged. so dont fear the color when the sun is going down is striking
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Just chiming in as an M340i owner. Someone hit-and-run scuffed the corner of my rear bumper in a parking lot. The damage is completely superficial, but definitely needs repair.

The first body shop quoted me a new bumper with the same explanation about not being allowed to repair bumpers with sensing equipment. I’m still trying to understand if this is officially coming from BMW because the replacement bumper will require paintwork regardless. If there was an actual dent or structural damage that required body filler, I think I would understand and would accept it, but I’m talking about a SUPERFICIAL marring of the paint down to the prime coat (no gouges/dents/deep scratches).

At any rate, I took it to another body shop and they quoted me for repair and paint work at less than half the cost. When I get the work completed, I’ll be sure to test the sensors, but I just can’t understand how or why sand/prime/paint to repair a bumper will interfere with the sensors ability to detect peripheral objects. I’m a technically minded person (structural engineer by trade) and I just can’t figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Just chiming in as an M340i owner. Someone hit-and-run scuffed the corner of my rear bumper in a parking lot. The damage is completely superficial, but definitely needs repair.

The first body shop quoted me a new bumper with the same explanation about not being allowed to repair bumpers with sensing equipment. I’m still trying to understand if this is officially coming from BMW because the replacement bumper will require paintwork regardless. If there was an actual dent or structural damage that required body filler, I think I would understand and would accept it, but I’m talking about a SUPERFICIAL marring of the paint down to the prime coat (no gouges/dents/deep scratches).

At any rate, I took it to another body shop and they quoted me for repair and paint work at less than half the cost. When I get the work completed, I’ll be sure to test the sensors, but I just can’t understand how or why sand/prime/paint to repair a bumper will interfere with the sensors ability to detect peripheral objects. I’m a technically minded person (structural engineer by trade) and I just can’t figure it out.
It's for more monies!

I have ppf over my sensors (not cut out), and have no issues detecting objects. Would be surprised if paint did anything.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I've just gone through the same thing with my car!

Took it to two different BMW certified places and the refuse to repair and only want to replace the bumper even though the damage is very minor.

They kept going on about modules and sensors on my car particularly around lane keep assist, however mine is a CS which doesn't even have lane assist!
Appreciate 1
c0nrad93.00
      06-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #14
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Curious to know what city and state these jackleg body shops are located.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
I think its a directive from BMW HQ for BMW authorised workshops that they do not repair rear bumpers at all... only replace
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
I think its a directive from BMW HQ for BMW authorised workshops that they do not repair rear bumpers at all... only replace
Ok, gotcha.
Appreciate 0