BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
hkalavi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Smog for stage 2 M3 / California

Hi all,

I have a stage 2 M3 with BM3, cat less downpipes, live in SF bay area

All work was done at sonic motorsport in San Jose which is now gone.

Any recommendations on where to get a smog- anyone "know a guy..."

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkalavi View Post
Hi all,

I have a stage 2 M3 with BM3, cat less downpipes, live in SF bay area

All work was done at sonic motorsport in San Jose which is now gone.

Any recommendations on where to get a smog- anyone "know a guy..."

Many thanks in advance
Nope, don't know anyone like that Officer. Nothing illegal going on here.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 14
F80RN898.50
RugbyBro7600.50
spidy512491.50
Redacre369.00
clutchdj1875.50
m3elmo49.50
shay2nak1070.00
j2dad5389372.00
      05-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1rve View Post
nope, don't know anyone like that officer. Nothing illegal going on here.
hahahahhaha
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:54 AM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I wouldn't do a special smog anymore, especially nowadays in CA. Uninstall the flash, go back to stock, get emissions ready and get it passed normally.

The BAR has caught on to these illegal techniques and has datamined all OBD2 data from every OBD2 smog taken. Any inconsistency in the smog data for your particular vehicle will send you to the state referee on the spot for a "light" OBD2 inspection where they plug your car in and validate your DME programming to make sure it is consistent with the stock programming and not modified. Even uninstalling your flash and relocking your DME may not save you from getting sent to the referee. I had to get my car reflashed at the dealer before it will pass.

Ask me how I know…
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 3
spidy512491.50
Boostd426.00
SD ///M42992.00
      05-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
hkalavi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Nope, don't know anyone like that Officer. Nothing illegal going on here.
omg soo funny... thanks for derailing a serious question a member had with your idiotic comment...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkalavi View Post
omg soo funny... thanks for derailing a serious question a member had with your idiotic comment...
Damn... that’s exactly what a cop would say
icegrill2078.00
spidy512491.50
Redacre369.00
      05-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #7
hkalavi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

well what do you know, another idiot who thinks he's so witty...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7600.50
      05-15-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I wouldn't do a special smog anymore, especially nowadays in CA. Uninstall the flash, go back to stock, get emissions ready and get it passed normally.

The BAR has caught on to these illegal techniques and has datamined all OBD2 data from every OBD2 smog taken. Any inconsistency in the smog data for your particular vehicle will send you to the state referee on the spot for a "light" OBD2 inspection where they plug your car in and validate your DME programming to make sure it is consistent with the stock programming and not modified. Even uninstalling your flash and relocking your DME may not save you from getting sent to the referee. I had to get my car reflashed at the dealer before it will pass.

Ask me how I know…
It seems wild that the California DMV/B.A.R. would have access to countless proprietary data from private vehicle manufacturers. Not to mention most of the advanced level data are stored on an encrypted section of the DME. Did you happen to check your vehicle's smog readiness state prior to getting flagged?

Not saying this was your case, but many assume that simply accumulating hundreds of miles would automatically complete the readiness cycle following a DME reset. Some items on the readiness checklist actually require certain driving conditions in order to reach completion.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:59 AM   #10
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Quote:

Ask me how I know…
It seems wild that the California DMV/B.A.R. would have access to countless proprietary data from private vehicle manufacturers. Not to mention most of the advanced level data are stored on an encrypted section of the DME. Did you happen to check your vehicle's smog readiness state prior to getting flagged?

Not saying this was your case, but many assume that simply accumulating hundreds of miles would automatically complete the readiness cycle following a DME reset. Some items on the readiness checklist actually require certain driving conditions in order to reach completion.
Yes I did the drive cycle countless times with my OBD2 scanner plugged in. Everything was ready.

They log and save all of the car data and tie it back to your car as well as similar vehicles. If something falls outside of the standard deviation, you will get flagged at the smog shop. They can compare your latest smog result with your past smog data and if it is different by a big margin, you get flagged.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #11
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Yes I did the drive cycle countless times with my OBD2 scanner plugged in. Everything was ready.

They log and save all of the car data and tie it back to your car as well as similar vehicles. If something falls outside of the standard deviation, you will get flagged at the smog shop. They can compare your latest smog result with your past smog data and if it is different by a big margin, you get flagged.
I remember your review on the tune. So are you saying that you had to have the dealer reflash it to stock to pass a basic smog test?

Are you still running your tune then?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Quote:

I remember your review on the tune. So are you saying that you had to have the dealer reflash it to stock to pass a basic smog test?

Are you still running your tune then?
This happened on my N54. I'm still running BM3 on my S55.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #13
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

With that in mind, has anyone encountered issues with the S55 and a tune?

I'm a little surprised based on what I'm hearing that CA can detect differences in the stock flash file, unless its calibration issues like what FriedPiston mentioned.

Unless you are running catless with full bolt ons, my understanding is that smog should be an easy pass with just a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #14
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm a little surprised based on what I'm hearing that CA can detect differences in the stock flash file, unless its calibration issues like what FriedPiston mentioned.

Unless you are running catless with full bolt ons, my understanding is that smog should be an easy pass with just a tune.
My S55 passed CA smog in 2019. DME has had both MHD and BM3 flash. Flashed back to factory tune and locked DME. Car passed with flying colors.

FWIW, it was the vehicle's first ever CA smog test. I'm assuming OBD test just checks for smog readiness without any references to previous NOx levels like the old sniff test for 1999 and older vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My S55 passed CA smog in 2019. DME has had both MHD and BM3 flash. Flashed back to factory tune and locked DME. Car passed with flying colors.
Was this the car's first ever smog check?

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #16
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, sir. I also know of many tuned N54s who were able to pass a traditional test using an O2 sensor spacer aka DP fix.

Edit: here's more information on what the OBD check entails -- https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fac...ems-fact-sheet

Last edited by FriedPiston; 05-16-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, sir. I also know of many tuned N54s who were able to pass a traditional test using an O2 sensor spacer aka DP fix.

Edit: here's more information on what the OBD check entails -- https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fac...ems-fact-sheet
So be careful on your next smog check. That's how I got dinged. My first smog check was done using an older version of MHD. My second one was flashed with a newer OEM software file via MHD flash back to stock. Smog 2 didn't line up with smog 1 based on my vehicle history, which caused me to be flagged. The first one will pass, subsequent ones are the issue.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #18
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So be careful on your next smog check. That's how I got dinged. My first smog check was done using an older version of MHD. My second one was flashed with a newer OEM software file via MHD flash back to stock. Smog 2 didn't line up with smog 1 based on my vehicle history, which caused me to be flagged. The first one will pass, subsequent ones are the issue.
This sounds exactly like your situation:

https://www.asktheref.org/Services/M...iness-Concerns
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This sounds exactly like your situation:

https://www.asktheref.org/Services/M...iness-Concerns
Yup, there it is!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #20
Boostd4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP Silverstone

From my conversations with the BM3 support team, the way they back up the factory ROM is similar to Cobb where it is an actual copy of your DME rather than a "factory style" reflash. This should present the correct CVN and Calibration ID during smog. But, making sure the drive cycles are all complete is the other piece of the puzzle.

Now, this is in reference to the scenario where you are uninstalling the tuning software and relocking the DME. Some people think that flashing a "stock" map on top of the tuning software will do the trick, this is definitely not the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Ask me how I know…
Well damn, ok.

Was planning on doing the stock route anyway :/ But you're saying even that is means for suspicion?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Quote:

Ask me how I know…
Well damn, ok.

Was planning on doing the stock route anyway :/ But you're saying even that is means for suspicion?
What you mean by stock? Flashing back to stock using your OEM backup flash plus locking your ecu is going back to stock.

Flashing a stock map is not stock.

Hopefully the difference between the two makes sense lol.

It is good that BM3 saves your actual DME backup. Is this done and uploaded to the cloud?

Appreciate 0