European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #23
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
My independent installed my Ground Control camber plates and my Dinan HAS almost five years ago and charged less than half that. He didn't have an alignment rack then so I took it to a different guy for that.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #24
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalinSez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSlug View Post
The dealership quoted me $4,000 for parts, labor, and alignment. Assuming parts at MSRP for $1,600 and $200 for alignment, my labor quote was $2,200.
Dude, dealership prices are such a scam. My spark plugs need changing. Doing oil and air filter too. Dealership wanted 180 for oil, 110 for filters, 1100 for plugs. Local BMW indy mechanic quoted me 400 for everything with OEM filters and plugs and Castrol Edge. I swear, I don't understand why people go and pay dealership rates.
Many people assign disproportionate value to intact warranty, (so much that they will pay $20-30k for a newer car just to get it) and also think they may have a risk of warranty being denied, or have concerns about other shops' ability to do the job correctly.

All in all it's insane. People don't bat an eye paying arm and a leg for a new car; but think paying 1500 bucks for a repair on an out of warranty vehicle is getting killed.

Unless you end up having multiple $1000-$5000 repairs on a vehicle, which would be very unusual, warranty is overrated. And you sure as shit don't need to go to a stealership and pay stealership prices to maintain your warranty.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6039.00
2011ninja3376.00
      06-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #25
CalinSez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
And you sure as shit don't need to go to a stealership and pay stealership prices to maintain your warranty.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #26
noemon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:

All in all it's insane. People don't bat an eye paying arm and a leg for a new car; but think paying 1500 bucks for a repair on an out of warranty vehicle is getting killed.
I think paying 1500 bucks for a 1.5 hours(max) spring install on this car is flat out insane.

Are you willing to pay 1500 for labour for tyre changes?

It will take a shop about the same time to change your tyres as it is to change your springs. Assuming they know what they are doing of course. In the worst case scenario it will take 30 minutes extra.

I think people charging these prices need to be named and shamed across the interwebs to deter others from saying such things to ignorant people.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:14 PM   #27
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
Quote:

I think paying 1500 bucks for a 1.5 hours(max) spring install on this car is flat out insane.

Are you willing to pay 1500 for labour for tyre changes?

It will take a shop about the same time to change your tyres as it is to change your springs. Assuming they know what they are doing of course. In the worst case scenario it will take 30 minutes extra.

I think people charging these prices need to be named and shamed across the interwebs to deter others from saying such things to ignorant people.
I only meant to respond to why some people
are ok with paying stealership prices. Not referring to the overpriced spring install quote.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #28
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Many people assign disproportionate value to intact warranty, (so much that they will pay $20-30k for a newer car just to get it) and also think they may have a risk of warranty being denied, or have concerns about other shops' ability to do the job correctly.

Unless you end up having multiple $1000-$5000 repairs on a vehicle, which would be very unusual, warranty is overrated. And you sure as shit don't need to go to a stealership and pay stealership prices to maintain your warranty.
most people don't have spare cash. thats why they opt for the newer leased car with monthly payments and warranty. rather than financing the cheaper used out of warranty car.... even though the used car will save them more in the long run.

on a side note BMWs value pack services aren't too bad. plugs and oil change for like 550 or something. beat out the indy shop 2 hours away from me. Nice to have legit dealer paperwork when selling the car.. no one questions it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0