Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #23
Highlander-M4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hiya all, has anyone considered removing the front brake dust shields altogether and feeding air through a hole/duct on the inner side of the fender well much like the stock E36 M3? I know it's not pumping air right in the rotor but it's close enough and will flow air into the braking system. On my E36 M3 days the airspeed of the air coming off the duct was about 1/2 the ground speed. Not bad, not bad at all in my book
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander-M4 View Post
Hiya all, has anyone considered removing the front brake dust shields altogether and feeding air through a hole/duct on the inner side of the fender well much like the stock E36 M3? I know it's not pumping air right in the rotor but it's close enough and will flow air into the braking system. On my E36 M3 days the airspeed of the air coming off the duct was about 1/2 the ground speed. Not bad, not bad at all in my book
If you search here and the F87 forums, you’ll eventually find a massive thread where cooling has been discussed at great lengths. The problem with the F8X front end is that very little space exists to route ducting to the front rotors. Several of us are using 3D-printed ducts Mounted under the front control arms (see F87 thread linked earlier in this topic) and another member found similar airflow underneath the car as you found on your E36.

I had my front bumper off the car for the first time last weekend and the whole front is blocked by radiators, save a small gap just inboard of the auxiliary coolers forward of each wheel. The M4 GT4 already uses a small scoop below each headlight and routes a duct through this gap. Another option exists to catch air behind the kidneys, but that is currently occupied by the engine air intake ducting.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #25
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

I bought gt3 brake ducts and modified them to fit, and trimmed the rotor shield to direct air to the center of the rotor. It made a huge difference at CA speedway and held fine doing 150+ on the front straight, i was burning front ds2500 pads before the ducts in the advanced run group and after i could run hard then let them cool and go back it again👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #26
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

If you don't mind disassembling everything again, can you show what you did to the brake shield?
Appreciate 0