Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #111
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca86108 View Post
When you all switch to different diameter wheels for the track and street, do you have to get an alignment each time? I have the 20" comp wheels. I want to get some 18s for the track. Do I have to get an alignment when I switch and wouldn't that be a pain getting an alignment done after each track day?
There is no need to have an alignment done when switching tires and/or wheels.

I don't understand why so many people believe otherwise as this question keeps popping again and again ...
Nah...you've just been on this forum since the era of dialup internet. Lol
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321113.50
      05-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #112
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

It just so happens that some members have 18s as their track set and 19s or 20s for the street. and discuss street versus track alignments (because of the specifics of the track alignment, not the tires diameter) so I can see how someone just getting into tracking would think the diameter was the cause.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #113
Highlander-M4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Although I am quite late in thread and the dead horse has been flogged to bits and pieces, here's my 2c:

- on the turns at end of long straights, scrub more speed on the straight line braking rather than in the trail braking phase. Do trail brake, as you need to load the fronts to get proper slip angle and generate mechanical grip, but scrub more mph on the straight braking.

- get Camber plates and if you re lazy set them at -2.5 on the front for both on and off track. It is a good compromise for both street and R compound DOTs and helps increase grip. Also reduces chunking when you overdrive the tire when coming in too hot

- listen to your front axle more on the tight turns. At the apex you may be giving it more throttle before you get to unwind the steering wheel. In practice it may feel great and fast (and often is!) to use understeer on some turns so you can use all the track and rotate the car faster to align with the next straight, BUT street tires overheat with this technique WHILE R compounds remain at optimal temp.

In other words tire wear profile isn't that much different between street and race compounds, but some errors on the track do accelerate wear in street tires.

For the braking issues mentioned on the thread, when on the track all electronics should be off. When driving on the track without massive brake ducts to cool the rotors, brake management is essential. Brake management means keeping track of how much time you use on the brakes and how much time you re off the brakes to give em a freaking chance to dissipate the heat accumulated at the last turn before you dive bomb the next one. Since street cars don't have cooling right into the rotors, you have to be conscious of your brakes on the track. And you can't do that with MDM applying micro braking all the time and not letting the freaking rotors and pads take a breather. MDM is for street driving canyon roads to ensure you don't fly off into the sunset. But not for balls out track laps.

Brake pads help deal with the heat better, but do not deal with the issue

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 2
jmg18649.50
CanAutM321113.50
      05-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #114
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander-M4 View Post

In other words tire wear profile isn't that much different between street and race compounds, but some errors on the track do accelerate wear in street tires..
I disagree on that one.

I use up 40tw r tires in noticeably fewer hours than 200tw street tires
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #115
Highlander-M4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

By "wear profile" I meant the pattern, not the amount of tread shaved off. Naturally softer compounds wear faster, but I am talking about the type of wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #116
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander-M4 View Post
By "wear profile" I meant the pattern, not the amount of tread shaved off. Naturally softer compounds wear faster, but I am talking about the type of wear.
That's how I read your original post as well.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0