ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

07-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #111
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Okay but on the colors why can't the offer a normal blue and a normal red and a normal light grey like they do on every other BMW they sell (especially the ones for the mass market?) And adding tanzanite blue as an individual color at a premium isn't the fix (though I do appreciate that's better than nothing).

If they want to add YMB and AY and some unique colors, no problem there whatsoever, but don't take away colors that people are used to being able to pick? Did we really need TWO versions of white?
Fair.

I'm not gonna defend the colour options too much.

Right now I lean towards Tanzanite (no extra cost in Canada) but, I dunno, the BSM, MG and SS are all fine if you don't like white. Reds, Oranges and more normal Blues will come.....just not launch year, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #112
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
makes sense? i dont even know the difference between UK,Great Britain, Britain.
Those actually all mean the same thing. England refers to just one country, though, whereas the UK/Britain/Great Britain includes England, Scotland, Wales, and part of Ireland -- but call a Scotsman "British" at your peril.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #113
MpowerLex
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
DCT is awesome but manual is way more fun
I want to agree with this statement but I cant. Until I drive a DCT equipped M car, Im going to assume the vast majority of people are correct when they say its one of the top transmissions available on any car at the moment. And Im a manual guy with a 6-MT on order for last week of Sept!

I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of a DCT.....soon.
I am a big manual guy, my '13 e92 M3 was manual an so where my past sports cars. I finally decided it's time to give this whole DCT thing a try, and boy am I glad I did! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! I have no regrets and haven't looked back since picking up my new M3 last Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #114
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Phenomenal amount of ignorance and closed-mindedness on this board; good god it's shocking.

FWIW, Clarkson does love BMWs. Not that it should matter (this goes out to 80% of this fanboi-butthurt-raging nerd board).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #115
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post
Phenomenal amount of ignorance and closed-mindedness on this board; good god it's shocking.

FWIW, Clarkson does love BMWs. Not that it should matter (this goes out to 80% of this fanboi-butthurt-raging nerd board).
Are you trying to prove your point. Your comment was ignorant and closed minded. Where are your statistics to say that 80% of this board is fanboi-butthurt-raging nerds?

Good god you are shocking
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #116
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Those actually all mean the same thing. England refers to just one country, though, whereas the UK/Britain/Great Britain includes England, Scotland, Wales, and part of Ireland -- but call a Scotsman "British" at your peril.
Well, not quite.

Britain or Great Britain is the island which, sorry Braveheart, includes Scotland, England and Wales. But Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain - it is on a different island (the island of Ireland). Thats why the country is actually called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So UK works to capture all 4 parts of the country, but Britain only captures 3/4 of it. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #117
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
and F them Northern Ireland ppl right?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #118
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Great minds think alike I suppose
I salute both of you and that is a well written review from JC which does not mean that he likes anything and everything, that is what fanboys do.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #119
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I enjoy Clarkson's reviews for the most part as he adds a great deal of humor to a field often given over to dullards. I think he comes up with some insightful driving impressions from time to time. But if you are going to him for styling cues, I think you ought to consider allowing your mother to dress you again.

I think a lot of his review was 'colored' by his initially having being put off by the baby puke yellow M4 (as he saw it) and not seeing things objectively. His comments about styling, for example, were about as off-the-mark as his musings about the car being a creation of BMW's 'B' team. Similarly, his clowning around about the base operations of the DCT were also just Clarkson being Clarkson.

Apart from that, he seemed suitably impressed by the car's driving dynamics and prowess. I look forward to seeing where the Stig can stick it on the wall (provided it does not end up being yet another test run marred by pervasive English rain).
      07-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #120
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post

That percentage seems very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I enjoy Clarkson's reviews for the most part as he adds a great deal of humor to a field often given over to dullards. I think he comes up with some insightful driving impressions from time to time. But if you are going to him for styling cues, I think you ought to consider allowing your mother to dress you again.

I think a lot of his review was 'colored' by his initially having being put off by the baby puke yellow M4 (as he saw it) and not seeing things objectively. His comments about styling, for example, were about as off-the-mark as his musings about the car being a creation of BMW's 'B' team.
I don't think his comments on the styling are particularly off the mark. Every part of the car does look like they finished designing it, stepped back, and said, no, let's add more flaps and more detail and more stuff. Then let's add more stuff. And that's how you end up with a front bumper with more folds and creases than a vagina.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #121
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
And that's how you end up with a front bumper with more folds and creases than a vagina.
NOW I understand why I just love the front of the F8X!!! I could not, for the life of me, figure out why it seemed so perfect to me. Makes sense now... cheers to the BMW designers for such an innovative, sexy and exciting design
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #122
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
That percentage seems very low.

I don't think his comments on the styling are particularly off the mark. Every part of the car does look like they finished designing it, stepped back, and said, no, let's add more flaps and more detail and more stuff. Then let's add more stuff. And that's how you end up with a front bumper with more folds and creases than a vagina.
Car needed 7 cooling systems, I guess you need a vagina to keep it cool? I am sure Bmw engineers and designers don't know wtf they are doing yet half this board could be doing a better job! The up coming football season will also produce many coaches sitting at home thinking they can design better plays.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #123
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Car needed 7 cooling systems, I guess you need a vagina to keep it cool? I am sure Bmw engineers and designers don't know wtf they are doing yet half this board could be doing a better job! The up coming football season will also produce many coaches sitting at home thinking they can design better plays.
Well, the front design on German cars are now heavily influenced by stupid pedestrian safety laws, as opposed to any design sense or aesthetic. Hence the ugly from every manufacturer.

And the rear and front bumpers seem to have been designed mainly to be "more hardcorez to de max" so you can tell it apart from a regular 4-series, than any functional reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #124
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

agree with clarkson on the color. AY is horrendous. Should have offered Dakar...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #125
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Great comment. I think most people, especially on this board, are just overly critical because the internet gives a ton of information of which to be critical with. It seems the guys actually driving these cars, for the most part, are very happy with them. The others are wanna be Clarkson's, wanting people to believe their palate for sports cars is much deeper than the average person. Jeremy Clarkson is paid to be extremely critical about cars. I highly doubt the average enthusiast is anywhere near that critical of cars...even though they pretend to be. No car is perfect. I do agree with him on the colors, they're pretty bad.

Last edited by JoePcone; 07-29-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #126
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
agree with clarkson on the color. AY is horrendous. Should have offered Dakar...
Says the guy driving the car with the most bland color known to mankind

Just kidding... I like MG... but wow, it's interesting how a bunch of people who have never seen a color in person (which I'm sure is the case for most of those who have commented) like to bash something that others like. Not sure what purpose that serves

There is one F8X color I really don't like too... but you won't hear me spouting off about it when color choice is so personal and subjective and lots of people like the color I don't.

P.S. I don't think I have ever seen a MG BMW? Wait, it probably just blended in so I didn't notice it... Just kidding, just kidding...

P.P.S. AY ROCKS !!!
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #127
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Great comment. I think most people, especially on this board, are just overly critical because the internet gives a ton of information of which to be critical with. It seems the guys actually driving these cars, for the most part, are very happy with them. The others are wanna be Clarkson's, wanting people to believe their palate for sports cars is much deeper than the average person. Jeremy Clarkson is paid to be extremely critical about cars. I highly doubt the average enthusiast is anywhere near that critical of cars...even though they pretend to be. No car is perfect.
Sums up my argument so bravo... You spend 80k and drive what BMW designed and if you don't like it then move on to other 100 car makers. I said it earlier in this thread that the only review that matters is mine. I am the one buying the car, driving it and enjoying it. I can hardly gives a crap what some review tells me about my M3. 95 percent of the time I love my car and 5 percent of it that I don't like has to do with my taste... It's funny how many people on forums act like they know how to design better cars yet all they do is show off their vast knowledge of the automotive industry
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #128
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

You guys all take Clarkson waaaaaayyyyyy too seriously. He is a comedian first and foremost remember.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #129
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Well, the front design on German cars are now heavily influenced by stupid pedestrian safety laws, as opposed to any design sense or aesthetic. Hence the ugly from every manufacturer.

And the rear and front bumpers seem to have been designed mainly to be "more hardcorez to de max" so you can tell it apart from a regular 4-series, than any functional reason.

But..but...but the Audis look really nice.....many Mercedes look nice......the Cayman looks nice... and the GT3 too. The GTI looks pretty cool too and they have nice colors too. I believe they all have to follow the same German rules?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #130
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Yep. Still no video. Right so far.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #131
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Yup.

I realize that on an enthusiast forum we like to play up our own importance and the power of our views, however when it comes to marketing and selling what the broader market actually wants, I think it is reasonable to assume BMW and ///M know something about what they are doing.......
Yup. We are insignificant now. A man has to be realistic but I can't help remember feeling insignificant when the M3 got so heavy and they came out with the 1M and now dropped the weight on the F80 base M3. That happened because a few of the insignificants complained. If no one had raised an issue, the a BLoaded M3 would weight 4000 lbs today. And despite the urban myth that it's safety stuff, it's not. It's gadgets and frills tacked on. My head says we don't matter anymore but every now and then there are some small victories.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #132
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Only review that matters is mine, my own experience and what I feel when I drive my car. Who gives a shit what any of these guys have to say, drive the car for your self and decide if the car is for you.
The only review that matters is mine. I will tell you of my experience and what you will feel if you drive the car. You will give a shit about what I have to say and I will ultimately decide if the car is for you. If I decide that you can drive the car, I will tell you when you are allowed to fart in it.