ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #67
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHOW996 View Post
I did this today with the Carbon Fiber grills using the reach in through the grill technique. It took about 10 minutes and it was worth waiting two months for the parts. THANK YOU IND!! Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos
Front grills look great!
      07-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #68
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman666
After reading several DIY here and watching the video, I decided to try taking the grills out without removing the screws and flexing the bumper.

If you have the full grill replacement set, look where the clips are located. Reach into the grill on the car and click the tabs starting with the top left-most (outside of the left grill as you face the car) and work towards the center. If you give gentle pull pressure as you go, the top part of the assembly pops forward. Then do the side clips and finally the bottom. It all comes out easily. The second grill is even easier than the first as you can now easily get your hand behind the grill through the open side. Then just slip the new ones in. No need to remove the weather strip, screws, or play with the bumper.
Agreed! This can be done without removing strip, bumper or using any tools at all. I literally just finished this up a couple minutes ago. The first, left hand side grill is the most challenging, but if you're patient, and use a deliberate and careful amount of force you can do it fairly easy. The bottom clips are the toughest, but once you get all the others out and get your fingers under them pushing upwards they will come too. You need to be careful of the slots (attached to the car) that these clips go into. They seem flimsy (once you get the grill out you'll see what I mean), so don't overly force anything.

Once the left side is complete, the right one is far easier and I used a small flat head screwdriver to give me a bit more prying leverage.

Sliding them back in is cake.

Having the full set does make it easier because you can see exactly where the clips go.
Attached Images

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #69
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

This was really easy to do, I had no issues whatsoever. Simplified DIY: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post18414515
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #70
Hrmm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
This was really easy to do, I had no issues whatsoever. Simplified DIY: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post18414515
Yup...just removed the grills by sticking my fingers through the slats. The top 3 tabs and 2 sides were quite easy, but I did have to use a small screwdriver to assist with a couple of the bottom tabs. I think it took about 15 minutes total.

Last edited by Hrmm; 09-18-2015 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #71
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

For the IND full grille set, if you choose "NO" for painted logo, that just means it comes with the standard M3 logo correct? Or does it mean the grille won't have any M3 badge at all?

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...ull-grille-set
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #72
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
For the IND full grille set, if you choose "NO" for painted logo, that just means it comes with the standard M3 logo correct? Or does it mean the grille won't have any M3 badge at all?

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...ull-grille-set
If selecting "no" for the painted logo, the ///M3 logo in the grille will be left in the OEM chrome finish.
      10-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #73
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat@IND View Post
If selecting "no" for the painted logo, the ///M3 logo in the grille will be left in the OEM chrome finish.
Perfect! Exactly what I wanted.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #74
JeffDaKid3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW i8

I swap the grills but now i can't get the hood to close with the weather strip, if i remove it the hood closes does anyone know what it could be or how the weather strip should be
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #75
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDaKid3 View Post
I swap the grills but now i can't get the hood to close with the weather strip, if i remove it the hood closes does anyone know what it could be or how the weather strip should be
Make sure the weather strip is fully seated onto the ridge of the bumper. It might take a few tries to get it right.
      03-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #76
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman666 View Post
After reading several DIY here and watching the video, I decided to try taking the grills out without removing the screws and flexing the bumper.

If you have the full grill replacement set, look where the clips are located. Reach into the grill on the car and click the tabs starting with the top left-most (outside of the left grill as you face the car) and work towards the center. If you give gentle pull pressure as you go, the top part of the assembly pops forward. Then do the side clips and finally the bottom. It all comes out easily. The second grill is even easier than the first as you can now easily get your hand behind the grill through the open side. Then just slip the new ones in. No need to remove the weather strip, screws, or play with the bumper.
+1 worked like a charm, no torx needed. Great suggestion! One thing I found very helpful was to get a very small key and stick it into each one of the clips as leverage. Saved my fingers some abuse. Can't explain any better than that but when you see it you'll know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #77
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
Rep

I tried a couple of times, and failed. I took it to my dealership, and got it taken care of for just $47. He said it was a 20 min job for his tech, and I said, OK, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #78
gaff0486
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
+1 worked like a charm, no torx needed. Great suggestion! One thing I found very helpful was to get a very small key and stick it into each one of the clips as leverage. Saved my fingers some abuse. Can't explain any better than that but when you see it you'll know what I mean.
Just completed this myself without removing anything. I was able to fit my hand between the grill slats and use my fingers to depress the tabs from the back of the grill. Pretty tight but I have smaller hands and had little issue. Took about 20 minutes start to finish.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #79
pdx_m3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M2 G87 | 08 E90 | 16 F80

I completed this myself today. The video made it look so easy. I followed the steps including the removal OGG e weather strip and 8 torx bolts. The first grill was the hardest to remove and the 2nd was easier. Since I have big hands, I used my prying tool to hold the top from latching back In and a flathead screwdriver to loosen the bottom tabs.

Once it's out, putting the slats back in and reassembling the completed grills took only a minute.
Attached Images

2008 BMW M3 Saloon
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #80
GSWCireM3
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 M3 Black Sapphire

I don't recommend doing this at night But it looks fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #81
MovingChicane
Been there and back...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four inc. a '21 M2C

For those removing the weather strip and unbolting the Torx at the top (6 or 8; whatever you choose to do), be sure to check your hood alignment once it is all back together again.

When you put the Torx back in and tighten, your front bodywork trip may be a bit different in alignment that before you took the Torx out, and the gap between that trim piece and hood will not be even all the way around. Ask me how I know. Still looks off to me but I'm done re-doing it again and again tonight to get it "just right."

Might want to highlight this in an early step and suggest marking the original Torx bolt location/placement with tape or something to make this easier at the end for everyone. Just a suggestion.
Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      07-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #82
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Just finished installing my IND black grille surrounds, side grilles, and trunk emblem.

I first tried the "reach in" method. After 45 minutes I gave up. Hands were destroyed and felt like I was definitely gonna break the bottom clips.

Moved on to the side grilles. Pretty easy.

Trunk badge. Pretty easy.

Back to the grille surrounds. I went to Home Depot to get the correct size torx, pulled the bumper, and had them done in about 10 minutes. Definitely recommend you pull the bumper. Only caveat is to make sure your weatherstripping is PERFECT when put back otherwise your hood won't close.

Pics to follow.
      07-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #83
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pics attached. Don't mind the filthy car.

(Sorry if the pics are sideways as its from my iPhone).
Attached Images

07-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #84
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Rear.
Attached Images

07-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #85
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Side grilles.
Attached Images

05-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #86
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingChicane View Post
For those removing the weather strip and unbolting the Torx at the top (6 or 8; whatever you choose to do), be sure to check your hood alignment once it is all back together again.

When you put the Torx back in and tighten, your front bodywork trip may be a bit different in alignment that before you took the Torx out, and the gap between that trim piece and hood will not be even all the way around. Ask me how I know. Still looks off to me but I'm done re-doing it again and again tonight to get it "just right."

Might want to highlight this in an early step and suggest marking the original Torx bolt location/placement with tape or something to make this easier at the end for everyone. Just a suggestion.

I second this! Aligning the hood was a bit time consuming.

Another tip when re-installing the weather strip, if you look on the underside of it towards the center there is a white dot marking the center of the strip, align this dot with the center of the bumper and it will save you some guessing.
      07-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #87
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

need to remove the grilles to install eventuri ducts

tried to do this tonight, pulling the bumper back just seemed excessive - it was bending right at the bottom of the centre grille area and didn't feel right

so then tried a pry tool and fingers through the grille opening, and just couldn't get enough leverage

i'm now thinking of either a) buying a set of oe grilles, not too expensive, and dremeling the slats out so i can get my hand inside the grille to remove the tabs

or b) removing the whole bumper
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #88
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
need to remove the grilles to install eventuri ducts

tried to do this tonight, pulling the bumper back just seemed excessive - it was bending right at the bottom of the centre grille area and didn't feel right

so then tried a pry tool and fingers through the grille opening, and just couldn't get enough leverage

i'm now thinking of either a) buying a set of oe grilles, not too expensive, and dremeling the slats out so i can get my hand inside the grille to remove the tabs

or b) removing the whole bumper
Try making a tool like I did. It helped me a lot.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=313
Appreciate 1
domino_z1230.50