BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #155
CARMASTERRACE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 F06 2015 - VW CC V6 2014

I am not on any side here, but this comparo was shit, and that is that. How did they say the MB had the worse ride, and remove no points from that (same 8 as the BMW)?? I drove it and it rides as well as the BM, in fact a little better actually. The performance data makes no sense, for all the 3 cars, and they put a lot of weight in the criterias rebates/extras, fuel consumption by giving 10 to the BMW and 7 to the others, and 1 extra for ATS and M3 over the Benz without any actual reason. They could talk about the lease, but not award any point for that. In a comparo with such close scoreboard, that is just pathetic, especially considering anyone buying these cars couldn't careless about fuel consumption or rebate. Then they remove points from exterior/interior design on both the ATS and C63S, considering this is subjective as hell, and everyone has their different opinion about it. Then there is the on tested price. They forget the test car each had different option and spec levels, still they kill 5 points from the Mercedes, and 3 from the BMW in regards to the ATS. Then they give points on driving fun, and once again that is subjective. If they wanted driving fun, they should put subcriterias one, one for exhaust noise, the other for turn in, or limit handling, and the last for how they make you feel and award 5 for each, instead of having an overall driving fun that makes no sense. This is a just a piece of shit comparo, and the EVO one, the Carmag and the Portuguese Magazine one are miles better, as they say admitedly that they were subjective, and chose one over the other for a reason, although they side, and say they are equally good.The C&D comparo tries to be objective by having a scoreboard and performance data, but it is a miserable fail at that aspect. I like the fact that the M3 came on top so far in most mag comparos:
M3 won Portuguese Mag, EVO, and C&D
C63 won Carmag
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #156
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Your MPG figures surprise me. I average 23/24 during my work commute. It is mostly freeway, but a 1/3 of it is in stop and go traffic and I still average that.
Well, probably my own fault mostly (Boston Traffic 70 mins for 25 mile commute, Sport Plus Settings, Turner Tune, Sprintbooster, leadfoot). Not the most efficient means of transport, but very fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #157
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMASTERRACE View Post
I am not on any side here, but this comparo was shit, and that is that.
yes, their point system is pathetic- Most of the time I think they have a conclusion and then they look for reasons to justify it.

Nonetheless, it is how they have done it for - well, forever... that is how most of these magazines do it, they have the same point system for a minivan as a sports sedan.

If one is not happy about this result they can think of all the reasons why it was flawed. It is subjective and that's it.

btw-

M3 #1!

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #158
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Well, probably my own fault mostly (Boston Traffic 70 mins for 25 mile commute, Sport Plus Settings, Turner Tune, Sprintbooster, leadfoot). Not the most efficient means of transport, but very fun!
my commute is about 1/4 local.. 28 miles 45 minutes.

sports plus throttle, hardest setting on shift... 19.3 mpg

no tune though... wow I must not be having as much fun as you.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #159
CARMASTERRACE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 F06 2015 - VW CC V6 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
yes, their point system is pathetic- Most of the time I think they have a conclusion and then they look for reasons to justify it.

Nonetheless, it is how they have done it for - well, forever... that is how most of these magazines do it, they have the same point system for a minivan as a sports sedan.

If one is not happy about this result they can think of all the reasons why it was flawed. It is subjective and that's it.

btw-

M3 #1!

I believe that for all their claims there should be backed evidence. I like their performance, and chassis criteria partially (as steering feel may seem subjective but it isn't, either there is or there isn't, brake feel as well but other stuff well...), besides the cabin space, but boy o boy, the other tables don't make any sense,when comparing these type of cars, and many of the comments from the review are pretty poor as well. However C&D has a reputation for doing poor reviews, so all I can say is let's wait for Motor Trend, Auto Car, AMS, Autobild, South African Magazine, Car and Driver Brazil magazine one (large extensive test on both has been done), until better conclusions can be taken.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #160
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Honestly though I'm surprised at the lackluster C63 S straight line numbers. I was expecting a better quarter mile time even with that weight.

Seeing as this was in print I have my doubts as to them publishing mixed up numbers. Usually editors are very thorough with those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMASTERRACE View Post
However C&D has a reputation for doing poor reviews, so all I can say is let's wait for Motor Trend, Auto Car, AMS, Autobild, South African Magazine, Car and Driver Brazil magazine one (large extensive test on both has been done), until better conclusions can be taken.
MT and auto car have never been "better" than C&D though I agree their reviews aren't the best. I've always preferred autobild and evo to a lesser extent.

Last edited by tallshortguy; 06-30-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #161
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The hilarious thing is that as crappy as Jalopnik is... they are part of gawker media so they will tell you exactly how they feel about a car. They don't care about adversting dollars from the car manufactures and have taken a massive steamy dump on anything GM before... with that being said, if they did a head to head it might actually be meaningful in terms of no BS... but then again their reviewers suck. I think in the US, with the way the media is setup... we aren't gonna get 100% honesty here one way or another from anyone. Clarkson on Netflix usa would be very refreshing...
Appreciate 1