Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

sorry you had to give up the M. But sounds like you made the right choice for yourself. giving up performance for more interior space, comfier ride, and higher seating position.

at least you didn't go off the deep end and get a minivan

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I get the sentiment, but you are going to be disappointed. The Merc is nice and all, but it's not a real "AMG" like the GLC63 so it will feel like a numb soulless car. Also, not much more space than your average sedan indoors though it does have a higher ground clearance.

You'd have much more fun in an X3M40i. But if you want the practicality with the power and fun of the M4 your best bet is a X3M/X4M, and deals on those are really good right now. But nothing will really be the same or similar to an M4 in an SUV.

If you get the GLC43 after leaving an M4, you will 100% regret it, unless you aren't a car guy, then you won't care.

EDIT: to save those who will respond without reading below, and I can't believe I have to say this, but this is an opinion and I made clarifications below. Did not mean the above to be factual.
Sort of with you except for the much more fun in a X3M40i part. None of these SUVs do anything for me (I've driven just about all of them listed). But, I'd put the X3M40i on par with the GLC43. Both are nice/comfortable and quick in a straight line. But neither are involving in any way driving wise IMO.

Someone mentioned earlier the full on AMG/M products are better, but they are still top heavy SUVs with so so dynamics. As Arcades and others mention whenever this conversation comes up, if you want some fun dynamically in an SUV, I agree with them that Macan is pretty much the only way to go.
Good point on the X3M40i. I was trying to cut between GLC43 and what he is used to in a BMW product, but agree the X3MC or X4MC would be better (we have the latter). But all in all, if you can swing a Macan GTS/turbo, and need an SUV (though it doesn't have much more space than a sedan) that is the way to go.

Nice seeing your posts again bud. I'm back on here as I'm picking up an M3CS in a few weeks after some punk hit my M2C and ran.
Aye, sorry about your M2C.

This is why I am afraid to have nice things.
Thescout134944.00
minn1913970.00
      10-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #25
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
sorry you had to give up the M. But sounds like you made the right choice for yourself. giving up performance for more interior space, comfier ride, and higher seating position.

at least you didn't go off the deep end and get a minivan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #26
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
GLC63 is sluggish and such a half assed middle ground (not high enough to clear rough roads or fast enough to justify going from the excellent balance of F8x) that I would rather get a wagon.
I would have said the exact same thing but then I spun one for a weekend. In sport+ it very fast and feels toyish in a good way. And it sounds great in any mode. The car is very fun.

I will tell you two things that sucked though. The steering wheel profile and it doesn’t have navigation in the best option (cheap upgrade but the one I drove didn’t have it). Makes your big, pretty screen feel like a rental car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #27
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuMpion3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
GLC63 is sluggish and such a half assed middle ground (not high enough to clear rough roads or fast enough to justify going from the excellent balance of F8x) that I would rather get a wagon.
I would have said the exact same thing but then I spun one for a weekend. In sport+ it very fast and feels toyish in a good way. And it sounds great in any mode. The car is very fun.

I will tell you two things that sucked though. The steering wheel profile and it doesn’t have navigation in the best option (cheap upgrade but the one I drove didn’t have it). Makes your big, pretty screen feel like a rental car.
I was gonna say, that M178 TTV8 is anything but sluggish. New GLC63 or Macan GTS is probably the SUV I would get if I had to replace a sports sedan with one.
      10-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Yeah, I get the sentiment, but you are going to be disappointed. The Merc is nice and all, but it's not a real "AMG" like the GLC63 so it will feel like a numb soulless car. Also, not much more space than your average sedan indoors though it does have a higher ground clearance.

You'd have much more fun in an X3M40i. But if you want the practicality with the power and fun of the M4 your best bet is a X3M/X4M, and deals on those are really good right now. But nothing will really be the same or similar to an M4 in an SUV.

If you get the GLC43 after leaving an M4, you will 100% regret it, unless you aren't a car guy, then you won't care.

EDIT: to save those who will respond without reading below, and I can't believe I have to say this, but this is an opinion and I made clarifications below. Did not mean the above to be factual.
Numb and soulless? Thats like the perfect description of an F8x M car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #29
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I was gonna say, that M178 TTV8 is anything but sluggish. New GLC63 or Macan GTS is probably the SUV I would get if I had to replace a sports sedan with one.
This engine is a gem.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #30
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This engine is a gem.
I got out of the car after putting a decent clip on it really wanting one. I then looked up its stats and price points and was impressed. Headed down the e63 path from there but I would take the glc63 over the new/next m3 any day.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
stein_325i25051.00
      10-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #31
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

Numb and soulless? Thats like the perfect description of an F8x M car.
Hard disagree, but opinions are subjective, and because of how much I travel for work I spend a decent amount of time in different rental cars, and don't necessarily feel the same. Compared to an old 911 or an e30/e46, sure. But compared to most modern cars including the e90, it's a great experience.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #32
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hard disagree, but opinions are subjective, and because of how much I travel for work I spend a decent amount of time in different rental cars, and don't necessarily feel the same. Compared to an old 911 or an e30/e46, sure. But compared to most modern cars including the e90, it's a great experience.
Compared to lets say a new Camaro or just about any other car with well tuned EPS the F80 steering feel is numb. It may be subjective but most people agree with that subjective opinion. Including folks like Chris Harris.

I have to assume youre comparing it to normal rental cars like Hyundais and Kias? That's not a very high bar if so. Or are you out there renting performance oriented cars on a regular basis?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #33
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

Calling the F80/F82 steering 'numb and soulless' and comparing it to a rental is a heck of a hyperbole. I just switched from an E92 335is, frequently praised as having one of the last great BMW hydraulic steerings, and regularly switch between the F80 and my E36 M3. Maybe you don't feel every road imperfection and texture in the F80 like you do in those older cars. But it more than makes up for it in precision.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #34
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Compared to lets say a new Camaro or just about any other car with well tuned EPS the F80 steering feel is numb. It may be subjective but most people agree with that subjective opinion. Including folks like Chris Harris.

I have to assume youre comparing it to normal rental cars like Hyundais and Kias? That's not a very high bar if so. Or are you out there renting performance oriented cars on a regular basis?
I had an F80, went to a new Camaro SS then came back to an F80ZCP, then to an M2C and now an F80 M3CS. Prefer the F80 or M2C to the Camaro any day of the week. The M3CS steering also is much better than the other two I had. Lastly, Chris Harris never reviewed the Camaro, so when he does and says it's fantastic and better than the F80 then I will happily concede that point. Also, people seem to forget that Chris Harris' daily is an M2C and before that a was a signal green civic F80....

Was it capable and an awesome car (the camaro), yes, was it worth the compromises? No. Was the steering better? To be fair I couldn't ever tell at either AutoX or track days.

It's all personal preference man. But I think saying an F8X is numb and soulless is a bit of stretch. But that's your opinion, so we are all good. Don't need you to agree.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #35
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I had an F80, went to a new Camaro SS then came back to an F80ZCP, then to an M2C and now an F80 M3CS. Prefer the F80 or M2C to the Camaro any day of the week. The M3CS steering also is much better than the other two I had. Lastly, Chris Harris never reviewed the Camaro, so when he does and says it's fantastic and better than the F80 then I will happily concede that point. Also, people seem to forget that Chris Harris' daily is an M2C and before that a was a signal green civic F80....

Was it capable and an awesome car (the camaro), yes, was it worth the compromises? No. Was the steering better? To be fair I couldn't ever tell at either AutoX or track days.

It's all personal preference man. But I think saying an F8X is numb and soulless is a bit of stretch. But that's your opinion, so we are all good. Don't need you to agree.
It's all personal opinion. I felt all F80/82s I had with the one exception being my M4CS were numb compared to either the GT350 or ZL1 1LE. The overall chassis feel was much better in the 'Stang and Camaro IMO. Granted, not your run of the mill versions. But, the SS 1LE is one of the all time great performance bargains of our time.

I never have had a chance to drive a M2 of any variety and I'd really like to.

I can't imagine the G80/82 are going to have any feel whatsoever. But, I could be wrong and we'll see what actual reviewers (not these paid YT influencers) think when they get their hands on them.

Bottom line is if one likes one of the over, the good thing is we still have some great choices for awhile.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #36
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like youre just not someone who is worried about steering feel as you dont even notice it.

I couldn't care how fast it does a lap. i just want it to feel good.

Different strokes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #37
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like youre just not someone who is worried about steering feel as you dont even notice it.

Different strokes.
I do care about steering feel.... which is why I don't own an econoshitbox. My point was that with those two comparably highly engineered/performance cars I cannot tell much of a difference at my limit. Maybe if I was a professional race car driver like you apparently are I'd bitch about the minutia of differences in steering and shit on everyone on the forum who doesn't look at it the same way as you do, sure, but I don't.

Shouldn't you buy what gives you the feels? The F80 and the F87 did that for me, the Camaro didn't. Isn't that all that matters?

Also, I assume you haven't driven the M2C or the M3CS which those reviewers you seem to think so highly of almost universally think is better than the normal F8X.

Maybe your one of those people who doesn't care about trying anything yourself and see if it has improved. See how that works? I can make wild assumptions about you without basis in reality, funny how that works.

I mean don't you own like an X5 and an M340i? Get out of here your high and mighty "I care about steering" nonsense, those are two of the most numb soulless take me to the retirement community cars I've ever driven.

Also, I don't care at all about track times (if I did, id still own the Camaro obviously).

But again, OPINION.
Appreciate 1
GB///M160.00
      10-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #38
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Different strokes.
I do care about steering feel.... which is why I don't own an econoshitbox. My point was that with those two comparably highly engineered/performance cars I cannot tell much of a difference at my limit. Maybe if I was a professional race car driver like you apparently are I'd bitch about the minutia of differences in steering and shit on everyone on the forum who doesn't look at it the same way as you do, sure, but I don't.

Shouldn't you buy what gives you the feels? The F80 and the F87 did that for me, the Camaro didn't. Isn't that all that matters?

Also, I assume you haven't driven the M2C or the M3CS which those reviewers you seem to think so highly of almost universally think is better than the normal F8X.

Maybe your one of those people who doesn't care about trying anything yourself and see if it has improved. See how that works? I can make wild assumptions about you without basis in reality, funny how that works.

I mean don't you own like an X5 and an M340i? Get out of here your high and mighty "I care about steering" nonsense, those are two of the most numb soulless take me to the retirement community cars I've ever driven.

Also, I don't care at all about track times (if I did, id still own the Camaro obviously).

But again, OPINION.
I agree and always felt like my M3CS has great steering precision and feel. Before my F80 I've only ever driven an M4 a couple years back as a rental when I was in Germany but can't remember how the steering felt.

Had an M850 GC last week as a loaner. Loved the car and steering was precise but just no feel to me at least.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #39
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335I manual

Get the 63. Anything 43amg 👎
Appreciate 0