Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #1
DNNS
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 / E30 325

iDrive 4 to iDrive 6 Flash - EasyBimmerCoding (video review)

Hey guys, made a quick video on doing the iDrive 6 Flash from EasyBimmerCoding. Wanted to share this as I've been shopping around to do this upgrade and I believe that EBC has one of the best iDrive 6 flashes on the market currently.

Very easy to do, only thing you would need to do on your end is install the WiFi antenna which takes about 10-15 minutes to install. After that, grab your laptop and plug in your OBD cable and then the guys at EBC will remote in to perform the flash (make sure to attach a battery charger as the flash does take about 30 mins to complete). Once that's done, you should be good to go and should have iDrive 6 up and running.

Have been hesitant since I've heard issues with other flashes that either have lag on the interface, need to reboot at start up, lowers audio quality on music, etc. Can confirm that I have not run into any issues and have been using it for over a week now. Very happy with the results and wanted to create a video to share with others who also may be hesitant on doing the flash.

Thanks to the guys at EBC again, would definitely recommend if you are wanting to upgrade to iDrive 6 without having to retrofit a new headunit.

Appreciate 3
      03-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Questions on Carplay with ID6

This sounds great and I am trying to choose between this and doing a MMI unit.

1. Do the steering wheel controls work with ID6 flash? Can it be used to control spotify on Carplay? Does it do anything with Maps?

2. Does the iDrive control knob handwriting feature work with Carplay?

3. Any chance of getting HUD directions with Apple Maps when using the ID6 flash?

4. What happens if there is a warranty or recall service on the car that requires the car to be coded?

5. Is the flash reversible?

I believe once I have carplay that will be the primary interface I use so the MMI unit seems better as it is fully reversible. Unless ID6 flash provides any of the capabilities above, in which case, I'd very much prefer that.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNNS View Post
Hey guys, made a quick video on doing the iDrive 6 Flash from EasyBimmerCoding. Wanted to share this as I've been shopping around to do this upgrade and I believe that EBC has one of the best iDrive 6 flashes on the market currently.

Very easy to do, only thing you would need to do on your end is install the WiFi antenna which takes about 10-15 minutes to install. After that, grab your laptop and plug in your OBD cable and then the guys at EBC will remote in to perform the flash (make sure to attach a battery charger as the flash does take about 30 mins to complete). Once that's done, you should be good to go and should have iDrive 6 up and running.

Have been hesitant since I've heard issues with other flashes that either have lag on the interface, need to reboot at start up, lowers audio quality on music, etc. Can confirm that I have not run into any issues and have been using it for over a week now. Very happy with the results and wanted to create a video to share with others who also may be hesitant on doing the flash.

Thanks to the guys at EBC again, would definitely recommend if you are wanting to upgrade to iDrive 6 without having to retrofit a new headunit.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

You won’t get a more professional service anywhere!! EBC are leading the way with their solutions and the worlds a better place for it!! Great skills guys and the video is on point! Who needs Kies and Bimmertech with you guys at the helm!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvG View Post
You won’t get a more professional service anywhere!! EBC are leading the way with their solutions and the worlds a better place for it!! Great skills guys and the video is on point! Who needs Kies and Bimmertech with you guys at the helm!!
Haha, appreciate that
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #6
tnt3k
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 San Marino Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post

1. Do the steering wheel controls work with ID6 flash? Can it be used to control spotify on Carplay? Does it do anything with Maps?

3. Any chance of getting HUD directions with Apple Maps when using the ID6 flash?

4. What happens if there is a warranty or recall service on the car that requires the car to be coded?

I believe once I have carplay that will be the primary interface I use so the MMI unit seems better as it is fully reversible. Unless ID6 flash provides any of the capabilities above, in which case, I'd very much prefer that.
Also curious about these questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
VeloDee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT AW/SO

Quote:

I recently had the same choice to make, and also needed to be sure that my existing aftermarket rear camera (BimmerTech OG MMI 2018) would continue to function post-upgrade. I went with the BimmerTech MMI Prime.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloDee View Post
I recently had the same choice to make, and also needed to be sure that my existing aftermarket rear camera (BimmerTech OG MMI 2018) would continue to function post-upgrade. I went with the BimmerTech MMI Prime.
I ended up going with the flash I really like the OEM integration into iDrive. For example, I can map Waze to one of the 8 buttons on the stereo and have Waze come up one-touch. Same for Spotify, Apple Music, Google Maps etc. I also get split screen views that can combine the OEM interface elements (Sport Display for example) with Carplay elements. Finally, I like the new ID6 interface too. It was also way cheaper than the BimmerTech MMI prime.

I had a bad experience with MMI units on another a non-BMW car and had to spend a lot of time with firmware updates etc. to get it to work. I am really happy with the flash. At one point I considered adding a front camera - if I had done that I'd have probably gone the MMI route.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliF80rnia View Post
Also curious about these questions.

The steering wheel controls just serve to navigate and there is nothing special that happens with them on CarPlay. The Siri button works well and I just figured double clicking on the iDrive knob will bring up Siri too. The HUD allows "Next Track" or "Previous Track" but not scrolling the playlist.

No, but voice input works very well (for address entry in Waze for example)

Unfortunately no. I hear this will be possible only with iDrive 7 and above.

I am in this position now - looking to get MP HAS kit on my car and it requires an iStep update. The flash only impacts the HeadUnit (in fact, I can continue to use BimmerCode and BimmerLink but it won't let me code the HU anymore though other ECUs are available for changes). I plan to ask the Dealer to leave the HU unit alone when doing the iStep update. My car is anyway out of warranty so hopefully they won't insist on having to update everything. If the coding wipes out the flash (it will if they update the HU), then I plan to get a reflash done which is much cheaper than the original flash (but not free).

The person who did the coding made backup so I presume so. In any case, I think we can go back to stock ID4. But this will require a reflash and a fee. After having the flash for a month, I don't think I'll ever want to go back!

Also, see my other reply on some of the things I really like with the ID6 flash and how it integrates CarPlay and OEM iDrive elements.

One other really nice thing is that its super easy to switch between Carplay and direct Bluetooth connection between phone and car. With the flash I also got Spotify App back in iDrive. So sometimes, I'll just play Music with OEM iDrive and see scroll lists in HUD etc. And when I want Waze, I'll hit one of the 1-8 buttons to switch to CarPlay and another one to bring up Waze. I think the music continues to play but I have to double check that.
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      05-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I ended up going with the flash I really like the OEM integration into iDrive. For example, I can map Waze to one of the 8 buttons on the stereo and have Waze come up one-touch. Same for Spotify, Apple Music, Google Maps etc. I also get split screen views that can combine the OEM interface elements (Sport Display for example) with Carplay elements. Finally, I like the new ID6 interface too. It was also way cheaper than the BimmerTech MMI prime.

I had a bad experience with MMI units on another a non-BMW car and had to spend a lot of time with firmware updates etc. to get it to work. I am really happy with the flash. At one point I considered adding a front camera - if I had done that I'd have probably gone the MMI route.
Happy you are enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
steeps5
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 228xi, '17 Ford Escape

Quote:
And when I want Waze, I'll hit one of the 1-8 buttons to switch to CarPlay and another one to bring up Waze. I think the music continues to play but I have to double check that.
Well this feature alone is selling me. I currently have a Carlinkit MMI and it's awful. Crashes multiple times per drive and audio cuts out frequently.

Have you had any crashing?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #12
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps5 View Post
Well this feature alone is selling me. I currently have a Carlinkit MMI and it's awful. Crashes multiple times per drive and audio cuts out frequently.

I haven't had a single crash and the system runs very smooth. If you have a 2016 model on which the flash is possible, this is a no brainer. The only catch is you have to be careful with iSTEP updates - as it will wipe out the flash if dealer updates the HU. I'll have to do this soon before I upgrade my suspension but I am planning to let the dealer know to not update the HU as part of the iSTEP update.

Switching between Direct Bluetooth between car iDrive and Phone to Apple Carplay is unfortunately 2 steps. I press the 1-8 button (Button 6 in my case) which takes me to my Phone Setting screen in iDrive. Move to the Carplay option. Click iDrive. Takes a few seconds to switch as it establishes the Carplay connection.

But I don't find myself doing this much at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #13
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had a single crash and the system runs very smooth. If you have a 2016 model on which the flash is possible, this is a no brainer. The only catch is you have to be careful with iSTEP updates - as it will wipe out the flash if dealer updates the HU. I'll have to do this soon before I upgrade my suspension but I am planning to let the dealer know to not update the HU as part of the iSTEP update.

Switching between Direct Bluetooth between car iDrive and Phone to Apple Carplay is unfortunately 2 steps. I press the 1-8 button (Button 6 in my case) which takes me to my Phone Setting screen in iDrive. Move to the Carplay option. Click iDrive. Takes a few seconds to switch as it establishes the Carplay connection.

But I don't find myself doing this much at all.
We offer our customers 75% off, if a reflash is ever required due to dealer update.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
Black_Mamba_M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

How can I upgrade my iDrive? I'm on NBTevo_L and I would like to be able to have Carplay full screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #15
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba_M3 View Post
How can I upgrade my iDrive? I'm on NBTevo_L and I would like to be able to have Carplay full screen.
You can either use E-Sys and flashing guide or get a service from 3rd party to get it updated to NBTEVO_X. Note that you will need ENET cable and Windows PC.

Dealer is also an option (most likely they won't do it for free)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #16
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba_M3 View Post
We can update it remotely for you, or next time we are in Coral Gables do it in person
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #17
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

A nice collage of some of our iDrive 4->6 Satisfied customers
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #18
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:

It crashes almost immediately if you try to use the OEM navigation.
      06-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #19
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449 View Post
Quote:

Strange. On my 2016 M4 it doesn't crash at all. I'll try to take a video later tonight if switching to OEM nav - it works fine. I am told that the only time it crashes if I try to plan a really long route with OEM nav - haven't tried that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #20
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:
Strange. On my 2016 M4 it doesn't crash at all. I'll try to take a video later tonight if switching to OEM nav - it works fine. I am told that the only time it crashes if I try to plan a really long route with OEM nav - haven't tried that.
Oh absolutely not the case with me. I was toying with it after installation for ~5min before I got my first reboot. Emailed with EBC and they said it's expected.

It hasn't rebooted since (as I've not used the OEM nav), but I sure do miss my navigation on my HUD

Edit: 2016 F80

Last edited by Xer0449; 06-06-2021 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #21
steeps5
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 228xi, '17 Ford Escape

iDrive 4 to iDrive 6 Flash - EasyBimmerCoding (video review)

Well once I get my car back from getting the screen replaced due to bubbling, I plan on upgrading if that's the only crashing. I can't stand the OEM navigation because I use CarPlay exclusively in my SUV.

No HUD here.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #22
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449 View Post
This is 100% NOT Correct.

It will only lag and possibly reboot if use OEM Navigation with route guidance enabled for long trips.

Simply don't use OEM Nav with Route Guidance and it will run Seamless as others have said.
Appreciate 0