Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #23
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
I think he's referring to Alex@alipine's gts flash. I had this done and overall drivability got better, way faster shifts, no more jerkiness when down shifting from 2nd to 1st. Car should of came this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon//m3 View Post
I have the gts flash from Alex@alpine it's amazing.rev matching is nuts. Shifts faster, and smother. Car truly should have came this way!
I have a GTS EGS flash and prior to this I had stock 59.1 EGS and don't notice much of a difference, that is on my stock M4, shifts were already smooth, quick. As to "jerkiness" on downshift from 2 to 1, it varies upon many different factors and settings. It is possible I am wrong!
For me the down shift from 2 to 1 was most noticeable and my open throttle shifts the kick back was lessen. In my opinion it was completely worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #24
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
That what common (consumer) sense suggests. But knowing how any serious manufacturing/engineering company works in terms of releasing parts and software. They would need to conduct endless tests of this software on a non-GTS car to confirm that safety, comfort, durability, interaction with other components and systems (and there are many) is absolutely unaffected. Those confirmations would have to be given by several dozen of various departments at BMW. Testing would cost money. There is simply no business case in it for BMW. From where they stand the stock non-GTS TCU software is perfectly fine for the non-GTS cars.
If the GTS car do not run the water, it uses the standard map, not 500hp. So it uses the GTS DCT flash with the standard or ZCP map and runs okay.
Again, you are trying to say "GTS and non-GTS are pretty much same cars". What I am trying to say is that from a product management standpoint they are different models with hundreds of different part numbers. They just can't take one part/software from one product and smack it on another product with the words "see, it fits, so it should be fine".
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
For me the down shift from 2 to 1 was most noticeable and my open throttle shifts the kick back was lessen. In my opinion it was completely worth.
Were you downshifting from 2 to 1, or even in manual mode were you letting the car downshift from 2 to 1? Ive had a mixed bag of reactions, with no conclusion whatsoever on my part !

As to your shifts under WOT, do you use S2, S3, which mode ? Also do you know what I-step your car has ? Sorry for the many questions, not doubting anything you say, rather trying to explain my experience!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Again, you are trying to say "GTS and non-GTS are pretty much same cars". What I am trying to say is that from a product management standpoint they are different models with hundreds of different part numbers. They just can't take one part/software from one product and smack it on another product with the words "see, it fits, so it should be fine".
Hallo, Wie geht's?
generally, what you say is true, that testing ($$$) is required for reuse of any software module/class/... onto another platform. Depending on what type of software shop BMW runs, you'd hope that they know that the cost of fixing bugs once in the field is orders of magnitude had they injected appropriate relevant improvements or fixes from the current software development stream (M4 GTS EGS) into the M3/M4 maintenance stream.

Regarding the M4 GTS DCT, we know its 100% identical hardware, clutches, mechatronics, ... with its M4 predecessor, so we'd hope that some common fixes/improvements were ported/propagated to the M4 stream. The M4 EGS received a makevoer (BTLD, SWFL) updates at 59.0, and the main/minor/patch number is identical with that of the GTS EGS as well the BTLD is identical.

Of course, this is all speculation, and have no clue how BMW runs their software releases, but any modern software company realizes at one point in time the merit of a common software stream for a common hardware platform.
Appreciate 2
OutlawX3M298.00
Polo088161610.00
      08-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #27
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Were you downshifting from 2 to 1, or even in manual mode were you letting the car downshift from 2 to 1? Ive had a mixed bag of reactions, with no conclusion whatsoever on my part !

As to your shifts under WOT, do you use S2, S3, which mode ? Also do you know what I-step your car has ? Sorry for the many questions, not doubting anything you say, rather trying to explain my experience!
Before when I was in S3 sport+ at 2500 rpm my 2 to 1 shifts would bog but now it is smooth.

My WOT shifts feels like a video game now, just constant pull with minimal kick back.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure which firmware I had, my car was a 7/15 build and never updated anything. Maybe my jump from an even older firmware than yours gave me a bigger difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #29
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Before when I was in S3 sport+ at 2500 rpm my 2 to 1 shifts would bog but now it is smooth.

My WOT shifts feels like a video game now, just constant pull with minimal kick back.
Ah, here's a difference, I never drive in S3 and I never do WOTs in daily driving ! found S3 too aggressive for daily driving as do others too. I was on a track last Monday and thought about using S3 but didnt like the snap the car does.
Quote:
I'm not sure which firmware I had, my car was a 7/15 build and never updated anything. Maybe my jump from an even older firmware than yours gave me a bigger difference.
July 2015, or 2016? if the former, yeah for sure its quite old software, though nothing can confirm what changes happened in the software updates aside from similar subjective opinions mine was June 2015 before many software updates done.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #30
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Ah, here's a difference, I never drive in S3 and I never do WOTs in daily driving ! found S3 too aggressive for daily driving as do others too. I was on a track last Monday and thought about using S3 but didnt like the snap the car does.

July 2015, or 2016? if the former, yeah for sure its quite old software, though nothing can confirm what changes happened in the software updates aside from similar subjective opinions mine was June 2015 before many software updates done.
I think with the GTS DCT you will feel the most difference when your pushing it. Day to day driving there isn't as much of a drastic jump.
Appreciate 1
faiz76.50
      08-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #31
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Lets hear some feedback !
Appreciate 1
ecf34304.00
      08-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #32
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Interesting
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #33
humbertin0
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Any feedback from guys with ZCP upgrading to the GTS DCT flash?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #34
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertin0 View Post
Any feedback from guys with ZCP upgrading to the GTS DCT flash?
Everyone we have done so far has loved them
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #35
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
how much do you charge? (I have coding cable). I assume you can do it remotely via teamviewer
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #36
Rapture
I'm suckin gas but I'm haulin ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP MW/SO

I have a 16 ZCP M3. I just had EAS do the GTS DCT flash on it earlier this week. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference but I was having the car coded and figured I would have the transmission flash done while it was plugged in.
It is a noticeable difference. 2 to 1 at low speeds is much better. Especially when coming up to a light that just turned green, the car just pops smoothly into first gear and goes without slipping or bucking or hesitating. And it would hesitate badly before. Compared to my e92 M3 DCT this new f80 M3 DCT felt sluggish and hesitant at lower speeds and take-offs. WOT shifts were about the same between the different generations but I felt BMW made them too aggressive almost intentionally on the f8x just to give you that racecar feel. But now with the GTS flash it's smooth and puts the power down without hurting your insides.
And now the transmission seems to manage power delivery much better after adding JB4, intakes, charge pipes, downpipes, and full Akrapovic Evo exhaust. Part throttle shifts don't unsettle the chassis and WOT shifts are faster than I've ever experienced.
Would I flash the DCT software again? Yes, absolutely. The changes in casual driving are worth it alone, but the changes in aggressive driving solidify it's worth.
      02-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #37
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I have a 16 ZCP M3. I just had EAS do the GTS DCT flash on it earlier this week. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference but I was having the car coded and figured I would have the transmission flash done while it was plugged in.
It is a noticeable difference. 2 to 1 at low speeds is much better. Especially when coming up to a light that just turned green, the car just pops smoothly into first gear and goes without slipping or bucking or hesitating. And it would hesitate badly before. Compared to my e92 M3 DCT this new f80 M3 DCT felt sluggish and hesitant at lower speeds and take-offs. WOT shifts were about the same between the different generations but I felt BMW made them too aggressive almost intentionally on the f8x just to give you that racecar feel. But now with the GTS flash it's smooth and puts the power down without hurting your insides.
And now the transmission seems to manage power delivery much better after adding JB4, intakes, charge pipes, downpipes, and full Akrapovic Evo exhaust. Part throttle shifts don't unsettle the chassis and WOT shifts are faster than I've ever experienced.
Would I flash the DCT software again? Yes, absolutely. The changes in casual driving are worth it alone, but the changes in aggressive driving solidify it's worth.
+1. This is a must! Its night and day.
Appreciate 1
Rapture56.50
      02-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #38
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Appreciate the feedback, glad you're happy with the new setup.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
Rapture56.50
      02-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #39
packet pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
They just can't take one part/software from one product and smack it on another product with the words "see, it fits, so it should be fine".
Tell me, where's the difference in parts from the transmission downstream through the power train? Wheels and tires excluded of course. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #40
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Hey guys I offer the flash, feel free to email me at alex@alpinemss.com thank you
I think I already have Euro DCT but I'm interested in the GTS how can I tell witch one? What are the differences?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #41
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
add another to that list. Thanks as always!

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #42
exia_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
I have it on my 17 ZCP F80 through bootmod3 comes with the flash

@drivingwithbenny
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #43
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Does this flash affect anything on the warranty? The FDL coding doesn't affect the warranty, FDL coding is not the same as flashing.
      02-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #44
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Mandatory mod for all DCT owners. Have it through BM3 and it is night and day over stock TCU tune. It's so much more responsive and the shifts just snap.
Appreciate 0