proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #155
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
BMW has to do something about this issue. I have had 2 windshields replaced within 7 months....

Never ever had this problem before on any car esp me e92..

my deductible for the glass was 250 each time.
dondula and others, we need to do something. At the least minimum let BMW know, call/email BMW USA or CA. I also think this is not expected, driven 12 years with my e46 325i on same roads with many stones hitting my windshield, never did i get a crack like the one in my pic.

BMW USA: customerrelations@bmwusa.com, 1-800-831-1117
BMW CA: customer.service@bmw.ca, 1-800-567-2691

I have contacted BMW Canada and informed them that this happened, of course, they said this is not covered under warranty, so did the dealer, but i am waiting on a call from a BMW supervisor.

I decided to pay out of my pocket ($660 CAD + $195 for installation) for the windshield and look into what further actions could be taken. I didn't want to use insurance, as I have a $250 deductible, and it would count as a claim in my province.

I have been reading the US and Canadian safety regulation and have also stumbled on http://www.camvap.ca . I have also contacted Pilkington for information. I haven't found anything referencing windshield cracks due to stone chips or other road debris.

Here's some reading material:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/
FMVSS 205 Glazing Materials: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR...ol6-sec571-205
FMVSS 212 Windshield Mounting: http://www.carwindshields.info/fmvss212 (not sure about this site, but very similar to other canadian government sites)
Windshield Zone Intrusion: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...TSD_rev_0R.pdf

Interestingly enough, the Canadian laws reference the FMVSS. Not sure what to make from all this, but maybe we find something.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #156
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Surprise, BMW is the only manufacturer that isn't part of that arbitration vehicle program. So that is one less option to consider. In the meantime, I received a call from BMW welcoming me to the M family and inquiring about my satisfaction. I gave the person an earful and he was very understanding and promised to escalate to his supervisor as all the issues we are having are not acceptable. I don't expect anything. I also mentioned that prior to his call, I received two email surveys and he wasn't aware of the source of those surveys... You go figure
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:47 AM   #157
mtatarian
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Mine chipped the first week of ownership
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #158
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatarian View Post
Mine chipped the first week of ownership
Sorry to hear that. But is it a small chip, repairable or a crack, I.e. a line that developed, that you'd need a replacement? You can see my pic above.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #159
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Quote:
BMW has to do something about this issue. I have had 2 windshields replaced within 7 months....

Never ever had this problem before on any car esp me e92..

my deductible for the glass was 250 each time.
dondula and others, we need to do something. At the least minimum let BMW know, call/email BMW USA or CA. I also think this is not expected, driven 12 years with my e46 325i on same roads with many stones hitting my windshield, never did i get a crack like the one in my pic.

BMW USA: customerrelations@bmwusa.com, 1-800-831-1117
BMW CA: customer.service@bmw.ca, 1-800-567-2691

I have contacted BMW Canada and informed them that this happened, of course, they said this is not covered under warranty, so did the dealer, but i am waiting on a call from a BMW supervisor.

I decided to pay out of my pocket ($660 CAD + $195 for installation) for the windshield and look into what further actions could be taken. I didn't want to use insurance, as I have a $250 deductible, and it would count as a claim in my province.

I have been reading the US and Canadian safety regulation and have also stumbled on http://www.camvap.ca . I have also contacted Pilkington for information. I haven't found anything referencing windshield cracks due to stone chips or other road debris.

Here's some reading material:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/
FMVSS 205 Glazing Materials: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR...ol6-sec571-205
FMVSS 212 Windshield Mounting: http://www.carwindshields.info/fmvss212 (not sure about this site, but very similar to other canadian government sites)
Windshield Zone Intrusion: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...TSD_rev_0R.pdf

Interestingly enough, the Canadian laws reference the FMVSS. Not sure what to make from all this, but maybe we find something.
This is good info.
I had a large crack as well happen after only 9 months and I'm worried about this repeating, given the other stories I've read here.
Plus my dealer here in Toronto is charging me over $1000 for replacement OEM glass, rain sensor, mouldings and install. I had to wait several weeks for the parts to arrive from Germany.
I'm not certain I have a case yet to complain to BMW Canada.
M
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #160
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I am of the opinion that this windshield and in combination with the M that there's something up, of course I can't scientifically prove it, but the OP had it replaced twice within 3 months... Let your dealer know and BMW. You can shoot an email too. I couldn't have driven weeks, the damn crack is 30" long and right there in my line of sight.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #161
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2,800 miles in and I have a crack growing from the top center across the top driver's side. I'm bummed because of the cosmetic flaw but my insurance company does not off glass coverage in Michigan due to our garbage roads so I'll have to replace myself before lease end.

My E90 335 seemed to crack with even the slightest stone hit.

My X3 has 46K miles on it over nearly 4 years and don't have a crack or even a chip.

2016 340i x Drive M Sport - current | BSM | Every option except adaptive cruise |
2015 M3 - retired
2012 X3 35i M Sport - retired
2007 335i - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #162
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laimbeer
2,800 miles in and I have a crack growing from the top center across the top driver's side. I'm bummed because of the cosmetic flaw but my insurance company does not off glass coverage in Michigan due to our garbage roads so I'll have to replace myself before lease end.

My X3 has 46K miles on it over nearly 4 years and don't have a crack or even a chip.
That's too bad. It seems that more recent BMWs have less resistant windshields. I had an e46 325i for 12yrs with many stones hitting the windshield, and no crack! More reading I do on windshields, it seems in general the outer 2-3 in is especially vulnerable, called the "crack zone" : it's been a week and still waiting for the replacement glass to come in.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #163
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laimbeer View Post

That's not true.. I have glass coverage here in MI.. 250 deductible
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #164
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
I am of the opinion that this windshield and in combination with the M that there's something up, of course I can't scientifically prove it, but the OP had it replaced twice within 3 months... Let your dealer know and BMW. You can shoot an email too. I couldn't have driven weeks, the damn crack is 30" long and right there in my line of sight.
I can 100% confirm there is something wrong with the glass... Or the degree in which the windshield now sits at compared to the previous M's which would be a design flaw..

Out of all the cars I have owned, I have NEVER had this problem. We do have crap roads here in Michigan, but I have two cars. One is my daily driver that I use on and off freeways, the other is my M4... I have had to stop driving my M4 on the freeway due to the poor windshield design..

I Have received new chips here and there from one day of short highway driving in the M4 on my 3rd windshield and I told myself I am not replacing that windshield again. EVER! So now I can no longer drive my M4 on the highway. I have not been on the highway in my M in over 4 months... Such a joke. I don't think im going to get another after all the issues I have had. I drive my every day sedan on the highway and get hit by small rocks and I have 0 chips or cracks and I drive that everyday..

So that is proof that the BMW glass is shit. I just wish there was something we could do about it but I don't think there is. Only thing I can do is spend my money else where.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #165
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Hi dondula , I will be writing a "demands letter" sent by certified mail to BMW. This puts them on notice for 10 days to do something. If they don't, then on to small claims court.

BTW, where was the impact on both of your windshield that were replaced? Maybe we exchange some more info about month, type of car, ... By PM.

I think there's a safety issue, in my case the line developed exactly in my line of sight and startled the heck out of me and my visibility was obviously impaired somewhat. What happens if you are tracking the car and a small stone hit the windshield at 200km/hr? I was doing 80km/hr and alone in the road.

At the least just let BMW know, you don't have to take any other actions if you are not comfortable but I am not staying silent!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #166
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi dondula , I will be writing a "demands letter" sent by certified mail to BMW. This puts them on notice for 10 days to do something. If they don't, then on to small claims court.

BTW, where was the impact on both of your windshield that were replaced? Maybe we exchange some more info about month, type of car, ... By PM.

I think there's a safety issue, in my case the line developed exactly in my line of sight and startled the heck out of me and my visibility was obviously impaired somewhat. What happens if you are tracking the car and a small stone hit the windshield at 200km/hr? I was doing 80km/hr and alone in the road.

At the least just let BMW know, you don't have to take any other actions if you are not comfortable but I am not staying silent!
not sure how much the demand letter will help being its hard to prove without a petition with enough people to rule out driver error?

My damaged happened in different areas each time. depends where the stone hits....

The windshield is safety glass so it cannot shatter like that. the windshield is actually two pieces of glass with a polycarb center sandwiched in between. That's what holds the glass together incase of an impact.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #167
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
A driver is not responsible for having stones hit the windshield, in highways it is expected to have some debris. I agree, I wasn't referring to the safety of the laminated glass, rather to the fact that if a windshield is so easily cracked, it could easily distract the drivers vision of field. That's what happened in my case. It is hard to prove anything as we don't have access to any information aside the reports that fellow members are posting. But I am not giving up and have the time to read and try... In the meantime I am still waiting on that windshield replacement... I will continue to drive on highways and if it happens again it just increase the case that there is a fault somewhere, and it is neither the driver or the stones on the road!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #168
Jtjjen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infinity G35; X5

Quote:

If I were BMW, about the time I received your "demand letter" is when I would move you from my "approved customer" list to my "banned customer" list.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #169
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtjjen
If I were BMW, about the time I received your "demand letter" is when I would move you from my "approved customer" list to my "banned customer" list.
Well you are not BMW, and if you have nothing constructive to say, move on to another thread, please.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #170
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Some insurance companies do not cover glass. My provider does not write glass coverage in Michigan. I'm aware I can get coverage through another provider but it's not worth the delta in my policy cost.

2016 340i x Drive M Sport - current | BSM | Every option except adaptive cruise |
2015 M3 - retired
2007 335i - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #171
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's too bad. It seems that more recent BMWs have less resistant windshields. I had an e46 325i for 12yrs with many stones hitting the windshield, and no crack! More reading I do on windshields, it seems in general the outer 2-3 in is especially vulnerable, called the "crack zone" : it's been a week and still waiting for the replacement glass to come in.
The "crack zone" reminds me of my 335. I had two major cracks due to strikes on the outer 1-2 inches of my windshield.

In my M3's case, the stone hit literally dead center right where my rear view mirror is attached. Now that I think about what you said, that's still the "crack zone" as it struck about 2-3 inches down below my roof panel.

In hindsight, I'm glad the rock didn't hit my CF roof. It's too pretty for flaws!

2015 M3 - retired
2007 335i - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #172
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
also picked up chip as my buds GTR passed me @ 290km/h ..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #173
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laimbeer
Quote:
Some insurance companies do not cover glass. My provider does not write glass coverage in Michigan. I'm aware I can get coverage through another provider but it's not worth the delta in my policy cost.
I'd gladly pay the deductible but those claims jn my province starts adding up and eventually affecting your rating and insurance premiums. Hence why I decided to pay it. If you have glass insurance option, take it! The OP had it happen twice within few months... And they still haven't received the replacement windshield. Apparently last one in the country, after that it's back order 5-10 days.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #174
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd gladly pay the deductible but those claims jn my province starts adding up and eventually affecting your rating and insurance premiums. Hence why I decided to pay it. If you have glass insurance option, take it! The OP had it happen twice within few months... And they still haven't received the replacement windshield. Apparently last one in the country, after that it's back order 5-10 days.
I pay under $1,500 a year for both of my BMWs with higher coverage limits than the state minimums. I fear my premium will go up as well so I'd rather just eat the one time cost and pay for it myself.

Rough math shows I've saved at leaset the cost of a new windshield over the past few years so in essence, it's probably going to be a wash.

I had a loaner X3 about 3 years ago while mine was in for service. I got nailed with a rock driving back to the dealer. I pointed it out to my SA and figured I was going to eat it. He cut me a break for being honest so it cost me about $500 to replace a loaner car's windshield. He said they typically charge nearly double. I'll have to lean on him for a similar discount.

2015 M3 - retired
2007 335i - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #175
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laimbeer View Post
I pay under $1,500 a year for both of my BMWs with higher coverage limits than the state minimums. I fear my premium will go up as well so I'd rather just eat the one time cost and pay for it myself.

Rough math shows I've saved at leaset the cost of a new windshield over the past few years so in essence, it's probably going to be a wash.

I had a loaner X3 about 3 years ago while mine was in for service. I got nailed with a rock driving back to the dealer. I pointed it out to my SA and figured I was going to eat it. He cut me a break for being honest so it cost me about $500 to replace a loaner car's windshield. He said they typically charge nearly double. I'll have to lean on him for a similar discount.
Oh man some of us are unlucky! Yesterday I had the loaner, but somewhat I took the rental company protection for $17 a day and when I got home the stupid TPMS Orange light came on. Turns out there was a screw in the tire and it was leaking slowly until it showed up w me. Have I not taken the protection I'd have to replace the run flat tire even if another customer did it. And I believe a previous rental must have inflated the tire and returned it... Anyways my windshield is in, getting it replaced tomorrow and conincidently BMW called me to discuss the situation. We shall see! Oh my gf had an X3 that she replaced the windshield 3 times!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #176
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboss View Post
also picked up chip as my buds GTR passed me @ 290km/h ..
A chip or a crack that requires replacement?
Appreciate 0