Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Battery Charge or Replace?

Good evening fellow enthusiasts,

I've been noticing that my 2015 M4 is taking a bit longer to start up for the past two days. I imagine that it is a battery issue. A little history on the car is that I bought it in March 2019 with 6000 miles and its now at 9200. The car sits for a couple days at a time but I've been driving it frequently within the past two weeks. The car is out of warranty. I also do have a radar detector that I have tapped into the mirror that is plugged in all the time.

After looking at the cost of a new battery, I was wondering if a trickle charger (specifically the CTEK referenced in the forums) would do the trick or whether I'd have to buy a new battery. I was hoping that it would last longer but I understand that driving a car sporadically and having a radar detector could shorten it.

I am unfamiliar with the CTEK trickle charger as well. If this is a solution, would anyone mind explaining it to me and how I can use it?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Nick
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Could be anything: battery too low voltage, bad ground cable, bad starter motor, loose cables to the starter, vapor lock, ... . The trick obviously is to pinpoint which one it is.

Check grounding cable:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_2092

Is it hot where you live?
What is the voltage of the battery?
Does it happen everytime?

Last edited by G4BR13L; 09-21-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Could be anything: battery too low voltage, bad ground cable, bad starter motor, loose cables to the starter, vapor lock, ... . The trick obviously is to pinpoint which one it is.

Check grounding cable:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_2092

Is it hot where you live?
What is the voltage of the battery?
Does it happen everytime?
I live in Central Florida so it gets pretty dang hot lol. I don't have my multimeter with me so I won't be able to check the voltage. It has been happening the past two weeks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I have a feeling it's because you're not driving it enough to fully recharge your battery, therefore it's a weak battery. Heat kills batteries.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I have a feeling it's because you're not driving it enough to fully recharge your battery, therefore it's a weak battery. Heat kills batteries.
Would taking it for a long drive help out? Also would the CTEK battery charger charge the battery? I'm planning on getting one since when I normally drive the car its days between sessions.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpower.nick View Post
Would taking it for a long drive help out? Also would the CTEK battery charger charge the battery? I'm planning on getting one since when I normally drive the car its days between sessions.
You can try taking it on an hour drive without turning the car off and see if it helps. I'm not familiar with the CTEK battery charger but if you're looking to get a battery tender, make sure it works with the Lithium battery in the F8X. You can't use a normal lead acid battery tender.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can try taking it on an hour drive without turning the car off and see if it helps. I'm not familiar with the CTEK battery charger but if you're looking to get a battery tender, make sure it works with the Lithium battery in the F8X. You can't use a normal lead acid battery tender.
10-4, thanks friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:29 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpower.nick View Post
Quote:
10-4, thanks friend.
Likely low voltage. Buy a CTEK li-ion charger and leave it plugged in until you are ready to drive.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
SCKOMS
SCKOMS
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible

Get one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Saver...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Edit: As a sanity check, the battery tender in the original amazon link did not specifically say it is meant for Lithium flavored batteries. Thanks SCKOMS for updating. New link does indicate Lithium battery compatibility.

CTEK is recommended in every thread about this.

Last edited by agentrnge; 09-25-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
SCKOMS
SCKOMS
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
As a sanity check, the battery tender in the amazon link doesn't specifically say it is meant for Lithium flavored batteries. CTEK is recommended in every thread about this. Stick with that one.
Corrected the link
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #12
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
As a sanity check, the battery tender in the amazon link doesn't specifically say it is meant for Lithium flavored batteries. CTEK is recommended in every thread about this. Stick with that one.
Thanks, I think I will take the CTEK.
Appreciate 0