Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #89
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I have done something like this a couple of times on a race track in an Audi while slowing down from a fast straight in 4th to hit a corner in 3rd, ending up in 1st by mistake. I'm not that fast a driver so I felt it while releasing the clutch and depressed the pedal again and put the shifter where it needed to be. Anyway, that tranny had this thing I hated that while the shifter would center itself between 3rd and 4th, that was not the geometrical center. The geometrical center was between 1, 2, 3, and 4th because the R gate was to the left of the 1st and some idiot had decided that positioning the gates symmetrically across the chassis center line would be best. So when you did fast shifts from 3rd up or 4th down, you could hit the gate separator and you might find yourself on the wrong side of it. The M3 tranny doesn't have this anomaly, but unless the dealer had told me how to put it in reverse, I'm not sure I was going to be able to figure that out by myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #90
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
I learned to drive on the other side of the planet, the RHD side, and in an MT car (MT is ubiquitous there). But I don't think either driver position has an advantage when it comes to this.

I had never heard the term 'money shift' until on these forums, nor have I ever done it, but I can see how it could be possible. I redline in 3rd from time to time. I better watch out that I don't drop it into 2nd...

I did however, willingly downshift from 4th to 2nd recently after misjudging my speed while slowing down for a light. It could have been catastrophic but luckily engine speed was low and shot me to 6.5K RPM. That jolted me quite well. Never again.
Sounds like you were doing close to 65mph...little high to be shifting into 2nd gear
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #91
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
The rev match begins before you even put the car into gear. When it happens you immediately know that you are going into a lower gear which can help you avoid going all the way into the gear and releasing the clutch.
This exact thing happened to me. I moved the lever from 3rd to 2nd when trying to grab 4th and heard the engine rev up automatically like crazy which made me realize I had the shifter in the wrong gear and thankfully didn't release the clutch and prevented a money shift.

That split second of hearing the engine screaming as it bounced off the rev limiter gave just enough warning. Yet another advantage of rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #92
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
dont make those statements , it works for me and thats what it counts. The HUD is directly in line of vision and no reason it cannot work , you dont look at the shifter while changing gears but look at the road and cant miss it. The moment u put it in gear its shows up in HUD whether u have released the clutch or not.
Well if it works for you that is what counts
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #93
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
This exact thing happened to me. I moved the lever from 3rd to 2nd when trying to grab 4th and heard the engine rev up automatically like crazy which made me realize I had the shifter in the wrong gear and thankfully didn't release the clutch and prevented a money shift.

That split second of hearing the engine screaming as it bounced off the rev limiter gave just enough warning. Yet another advantage of rev matching.
The rev match doesnt happen in sports plus and most likely OP was driving in Sports plus so he wont get that indication
      05-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #94
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post

Actually you would have been ok releasing the clutch in your situation. You weren't high enough in rpms in 3rd gear when you mistakenly downshifted. The rev matching will only kick in and blip the throttle if it's at or below redline. If it calculates a mechanical overrev it will not blip the throttle at all, at least in my car. I use the rev matching as an indicator on track when braking from high speed going into a corner. Hard on the brakes, downshift and if the rev matching kicks in, release the clutch, if I don't hear the throttle blip then I know I would be inducing an over rev which is rare, but things happen so fast on a track. #RIPHeelToe
      05-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #95
PapaSmurff82
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

quick update for everyone. The car over revved to 9k and the dme was tampered. Car will not be covered under warranty. Drove the car back home. Never died on me or stalled. A few mechanics have said I have bent valves that need to be fixed.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #96
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurff82 View Post
quick update for everyone. The car over revved to 9k and the dme was tampered. Car will not be covered under warranty. Drove the car back home. Never died on me or stalled. A few mechanics have said I have bent valves that need to be fixed.
A very unfortunate situation but I appreciate the update. A few questions:

Can you elaborate on "the dme was tampered"? How did they determine this? Assuming you had a tune of some sort (JB4 or some other tuning box or flash), which did you have?
What's the cost of getting the vehicle repaired?
Final question...couldn't you just have paid closer attention to the HUD to prevent this money shift? If you don't have HUD, would it have prevented this from happening?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #97
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
You should checked if the car has been "flagged".

If the car drives fine and the rebuild is out of pocket anyway, it might make sense to take it to a trusted engine builder, check the valves, do compression test and if all looks good, then keep driving it and save $ for the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #98
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
That sucks to hear. Assume you had a tune?

Maybe you can use this as an excuse to do a sweet engine build.
      05-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #99
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Dang OP flashed his car (BM3) on 4/8 and a little over a month later he has bent valves and left holding the bag because of DME tampering and denial of his warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #100
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Still wondering how you want to go from 3rd to 4th and hit 2nd?
Depends on how you are holding the shifter. Its possible for someone to pull towards the left while shifting fast and end up in second. But still though... would require a hell of an effort since you will encounter resistance at the gate.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #101
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Dang OP flashed his car (BM3) on 4/8 and a little over a month later he has bent valves and left holding the bag because of DME tampering and denial of his warranty.
Did you not flash back to "Stock and Locked" before taking it in for this PapaSmurff82?
      05-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #102
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Did you not flash back to "Stock and Locked" before taking it in for this PapaSmurff82?
You don't really believe they are not able to tell that the DME was flashed do you? There is so much FASTA data they can comb through that they will and can certainly find traces/anomalies of a tune especially in a high value warranty claim. I'm surprised they haven't installed fart sensors on the seats yet.
      05-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #103
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
You don't really believe they are not able to tell that the DME was flashed do you? There is so much FASTA data they can comb through that they will and can certainly find traces/anomalies of a tune especially in a high value warranty claim. I'm surprised they haven't installed fart sensors on the seats yet.
I was just curious to know. I know people who have gotten service done, like a module replacement, without getting automatically flagged, so I assume on a surface level it doesn't get detected. If BMW is really trying hard to deny a claim tho then yeah.
      05-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #104
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Even without a DME tamper code do you think BMW would warranty a money shift? I don't but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #105
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
      05-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #106
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Even without a DME tamper code do you think BMW would warranty a money shift? I don't but who knows.
Highly doubtful. Sorry to hear OP. I'd get it checked out. If you have a bent valve, I think it would be noticeable. Maybe the 9k was brief enough?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #107
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Find your nearest Carmax and pray they give you a good offer. Then go home and drink a beer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #108
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Find your nearest Carmax and pray they give you a good offer. Then go home and drink a beer.
yep
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #109
Agent - ///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Comp; Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
You mean a 12 pack!!!?

OP - Welcome to the "Flagged Club"

Only way out is a new DME, then take the car back to BMW, have them run all there cool little tests, find not tampering, then and only then will they remove the flag.

Until then
      05-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #110
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent - ///M View Post
You mean a 12 pack!!!?

OP - Welcome to the "Flagged Club"

Only way out is a new DME, then take the car back to BMW, have them run all there cool little tests, find not tampering, then and only then will they remove the flag.

Until then
So they'll say, "forget what we saw on your DME before...it's all good now"..
Appreciate 0