EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Gran C

Garage List
DIY Clear coating

Please bare with me here as this is my first time…. i have a carbon fiber from lip that had some fogging up bc of damaged clear coat so i decided to give it a shot and see if i can fix it. I sanded the lip down (wet sand) with 2500 grit paper and used some rustoleium clear coat from a hardware store. I sprayed about 2-3 coats of that clear coat all around the lip and now only one side is “smooth” and the rest sounds really rough…. kinda like a car that hasn’t been cleaned in a month. Is there anything i can do to smoothen out the finish? Would i have to sand and re-coat again ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I dont think 2500 was enough to rough it up. You probably want around 800 otherwise the new clear will fail and peel/flake off.

After the clearcoat cures, you can sand the clear smooth with 1500grit. You will need a buffer and compound to get those 1500 grit scratches out.

The best clearcoat in a rattle can is spray maxx(one word, bimmerpost is censoring it) 2k clear. Need to use a mask though since it contains cyanide...
Appreciate 1