European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Alcon BBK Girodisc Group Buy?

After speaking with Girodisc this past week, I'm looking for 10 people to commit to a group buy for Girodisc rotors for the Alcon BBK. Or 5 who are willing to purchase two sets.

From what they tell me, they do not offer a rotor for this kit and are unwilling to dedicate the resources to producing one until they have enough interest, which is apparently 10 people.

If anyone is interested, please respond below so that we may perhaps get something going in the near future.

6 month lead time should we commit.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

but why? The Alcon rotors are top notch, not expensive and come prebedded

Girodisc rotors are high quality as well, but not better than the Alcons. And I say this having a set of Girodisc CCB rotors and Alcon rotors on my garage wall

This isn't the same situation as the AP Radical BBK, where the rotor (at least the v1 we used) was made of playdough. In that case, there was a lot to gain from the Giro version
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
MaX PL
Major
Rep

The reason why is that my two day old Alcons are entirely covered in micro cracks. Can't imagine what they'll look like at day ten.

They obviously perform well as you mention, and I did run dust shields which may not be ideal and plan to remove in the next week or two, but if I can get 20 days out of Girodiscs versus 10 to 15 out of Alcons, it's worth a try. But maybe that's not possible and not worth the attempt. I've read many comments about Girodiscs "superior metallurgy" and why I decided to pursue this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 03:03 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
The reason why is that my two day old Alcons are entirely covered in micro cracks. Can't imagine what they'll look like at day ten.

They obviously perform well as you mention, and I did run dust shields which may not be ideal and plan to remove in the next week or two, but if I can get 20 days out of Girodiscs versus 10 to 15 out of Alcons, it's worth a try. But maybe that's not possible and not worth the attempt. I've read many comments about Girodiscs "superior metallurgy" and why I decided to pursue this.
Like for like, we got 12 days out of pfc rotors which are dry cut and use usa iron and 17 days out of the alcons.

Microcracks don't dictate when rotors are replaced. They are replaced when a crack gets through the rotor face after reaching the edge.

At 17 days, the alcons still haven't cracked through but that's plenty of durability for our tastes.

Get rid of your dust shields front and rear. They are not doing anything useful at the track. That will help
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #5
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Thanks for the info on the micro cracks. I guess I'm jumping to conclusions as I don't remember how this played out on my first set last year. Perhaps with the the dust shields removed I'll be able to hit 17+ days.

Ultimately, more options is a positive and perhaps we'll get something from Girodisc whether thru a group buy or general release.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11482.50
      05-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
Tonba
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition

Hmm if only it was an AP racing group buy…
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #7
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

No need to do any group buying, talk to paragonbrakes, they make any discs without having to buy XXX units, and also from what I've seen they come out of the same oven as giro, they just wear their hats.
Appreciate 0