Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #265
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

This generation M4 is definitely stiffer, probably from the direct bolted subframe and the extra chassis bracing. It handles great, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, with the same tire size / setup as my 550i, and both the M4 / 550i riding on Bilstein coils, the M4 transmits much more tire noise from the road. Expansion joints, raised asphalt transitions, railroad transitions and grooves in the road transmit much more sound and vibration into the cabin. You can't have it all.. otherwise theres the non-M cars with more bushings / dampened ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #266
Fefe_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Aren't this guys the same guys that measured the M3 against the ATS-V and C63? The M3, which won that comparo, is now a "non-favorite"?

I don't understand these reviews. If the car magazines are going to hire nannies and pussies that only complain about the noise and ride, then let them test a camry instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #267
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Well now........terrible C/D review, I'll agree.

They do have a couple of good points.

--The tire noise is RIDICULOUSLY high. None of my Mustangs or other sports cars were quite this bad, no matter what super wide low profile tires I put on them. Kind of crazy.

--I still don't like the steering one bit. All 6 of my prior BMWs had fabulous, wonderful, responsive and intuitive hydraulic steering. I am still baffled as to why BMW would change that for Ms just to save a 1/4 mile per gallon on gas mileage. The feel is completely gone.

--I have a 2016, so the exhaust sounds much better than 2015, but it still does sound DREADFUL on startup. Just DREADFUL.

Other than that, I love my M3! It's a great car for the money, stinking fast, solid, safe, has a GREAT 6MT, and looks awesome. Definitely the fastest and most solid car I've ever owned.

I have been a subscriber to Car and Driver for 20 years, and I have to say, this review is simply THE WORST and the MOST NEGATIVE article I've ever read. Sounds like the author woke up on the wrong side of the bed, got a case of shingles, and had his dog die the day he wrote it. For them to even consider the $8,000 carbon fiber brakes in making their evaluation was absurd. If they didn't want to track the car, why in heaven's name did they add it to their order sheet. That's THEIR fault, not BMW's. Kudos to BMW for providing that option to those who actually want it.

Shame on Car and Driver.
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #268
ENVē
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 911 Turbo AWE 700R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post

--The tire noise is RIDICULOUSLY high. None of my Mustangs or other sports cars were quite this bad, no matter what super wide low profile tires I put on them. Kind of crazy.

--I still don't like the steering one bit. All 6 of my prior BMWs had fabulous, wonderful, responsive and intuitive hydraulic steering. I am still baffled as to why BMW would change that for Ms just to save a 1/4 mile per gallon on gas mileage. The feel is completely gone.

--I have a 2016, so the exhaust sounds much better than 2015, but it still does sound DREADFUL on startup. Just DREADFUL.

Other than that, I love my M3! It's a great car for the money, stinking fast, solid, safe, has a GREAT 6MT, and looks awesome. Definitely the fastest and most solid car I've ever owned.

I have been a subscriber to Car and Driver for 20 years, and I have to say, this review is simply THE WORST and the MOST NEGATIVE article I've ever read. Sounds like the author woke up on the wrong side of the bed, got a case of shingles, and had his dog die the day he wrote it. For them to even consider the $8,000 carbon fiber brakes in making their evaluation was absurd. If they didn't want to track the car, why in heaven's name did they add it to their order sheet. That's THEIR fault, not BMW's. Kudos to BMW for providing that option to those who actually want it.

Shame on Car and Driver.
Two bolded items are the reasons I am likely not going to pull trigger on a new M and may end up going GT350 route (first american car).
      07-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #269
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENVē View Post
Two bolded items are the reasons I am likely not going to pull trigger on a new M and may end up going GT350 route (first american car).
You mean the GT 350 with the electric steering rack? Good call. Can tell you've done your research.
Appreciate 3
      07-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #270
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
You mean the GT 350 with the electric steering rack? Good call. Can tell you've done your research.
Appreciate 2
psedog482.50
      07-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #271
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I can't believe they are complaining about the sound Of rain on the cf roof hahahaha wth?!
Attached Images

07-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #272
Wobba
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
I have been a subscriber to Car and Driver for 20 years, and I have to say, this review is simply THE WORST and the MOST NEGATIVE article I've ever read.
Perhaps, but Motor Magazine Australia may pip C&D for worst review ever:

http://www.motormag.com.au/events/14...-bmw-m4-video/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #273
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

It's an odd review no doubt, I find the stand out feature IS the ride/handling balance, I find the car very compliant over the rutted, rippled and pot holed scarred roads we have in my part of the world.
      07-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #274
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam

Shame on Car and Driver.
I hope they don't consider carbon fiber brakes. They would then complain about the fact they melt after one use. That would be so silly!

:
      07-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #275
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Steering - comfort steering has way more feedback than either setting. The other modes hide feedback with a constant high level of resistance. I thought the steering was numb until I gave comfort mode a chance. Now I love it.

Chassis dynamics - with DSC-off, they are fantastic. In the other modes they suck. It's a shame they didn't program a more permissive MDM mode. Basically you never have full control of the throttle unless your in DSC-off mode. Thus, the car can feel unnatural at times. I fix this by driving with DSC off when it's warm and dry. The car is a blast this way.

Suspension - it's crashy.... in all modes. I've driven a lot cars with stiffer suspensions that were less crashy. I drive in sport+ when alone and it's about 20% more crashy but 100% less bouncy. I feel compelled to address this issue via the aftermarket unfortunately.

Exhaust - I actually like it. Burble is cool but contrived. I would only want it if were a natural byproduct of performance, which it isn't. Concordantly, unplugging the ASD is also a must.

Conclusion: The car is a hodgepodge of legit driver oriented features, and stupid bullshit. Fortunately the stupid stuff can fixed, but it requires time and money.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #276
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

I have approx 40k miles now, and I completely disagree. I did opt out of the CCBs, but my M3 is just as amazing as it was when I picked it up. I recently had my software upgraded and the stock exhaust sounds beefier on cold starts. Meh.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #277
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Steering - comfort steering has way more feedback than either setting. The other modes hide feedback with a constant high level of resistance. I thought the steering was numb until I gave comfort mode a chance. Now I love it.
Yep, I pretty much use comfort mode for steering all the time now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #278
ejonsson90
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
2006 S4 25th Anniversary - #116/250
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #279
Fefe_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
...Chassis dynamics - with DSC-off, they are fantastic. In the other modes they suck. It's a shame they didn't program a more permissive MDM mode. Basically you never have full control of the throttle unless your in DSC-off mode. Thus, the car can feel unnatural at times. I fix this by driving with DSC off when it's warm and dry. The car is a blast this way.
I completely agree with this. I try to use DSC-off all the time, since the other modes makes the car feel artificial, and you can feel the TC is interfering with the power delivery. Your right foot should be the TC!
Appreciate 0