EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #89
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_M3 2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritztour View Post
Quote:
Hey guys, have the same problem here.

Could someone who applied the Teflon tape post pictures of where it was applied?

My dealer applied it on the body of the car itself (basically where the doors touch the body when closed) and the rattles were gone for like a week but now they're back so I want to go tell them how they should apply it again.
Show your Teflon lining in a pic.
Let me know if you can see the tape in the body of the car.
Here is the Teflon on my car. Looks like yours. No noise anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #90
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #91
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Could someone who applied the Teflon tape post pictures of where it was applied?

My dealer applied it on the body of the car itself (basically where the doors touch the body when closed) and the rattles were gone for like a week but now they're back so I want to go tell them how they should apply it again.
Thank you, any chance you could take a couple of more pictures and maybe point with your finger at the tape because it's difficult to see the tape with your colors?

Is the tape applied to the body of the car or the seals?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #92
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, any chance you could take a couple of more pictures and maybe point with your finger at the tape because it's difficult to see the tape with your colors?

The tape is very visible on the black shadow line window trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #93
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So the tape is applied on the shadow trim, right? My dealer applied it on the body of the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #94
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So the tape is applied on the shadow trim, right? My dealer applied it on the body of the car itself.
Yes, that's where one of the door seal rubs and makes noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #95
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's where one of the door seal rubs and makes noise.
Thank you! I'll talk to my dealer so they can rework this.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:52 AM   #96
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Can someone point to where the Krytox or tape needs to be installed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #97
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Ugh tried everything. Car still creaks like an old pirate ship. Guess it'll be G80 time when lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #98
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Ugh tried everything. Car still creaks like an old pirate ship. Guess it'll be G80 time when lease is up.
I may be completely a lone in this (not maybe but definitely) but I love the squeaks my car and my wife's F80 make. It feels/sounds like a lot of raw race cars I have had the pleasure to drive or be a passenger in. In my opinion makes it feel kind of authentic and the mid level manager hero car it has always been. If I wanted a truly quiet car, I would have gone for an M5. That's just my take though, and I understand people don't like it and the whole "an $80k car shouldn't squeak" POV. But to me it's just one more thing that makes it feel special and saw.

Rattles on the other hand (depending on the type) I can kind of understand after a while.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #99
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
I may be completely a lone in this (not maybe but definitely) but I love the squeaks my car and my wife's F80 make. It feels/sounds like a lot of raw race cars I have had the pleasure to drive or be a passenger in. In my opinion makes it feel kind of authentic and the mid level manager hero car it has always been. If I wanted a truly quiet car, I would have gone for an M5. That's just my take though, and I understand people don't like it and the whole "an $80k car shouldn't squeak" POV. But to me it's just one more thing that makes it feel special and saw.

Rattles on the other hand (depending on the type) I can kind of understand after a while.
I mean if it were noises coming from bonded carbon fiber body panels or race suspension or something I'd understand but these are noises coming from cheap rubber door seals. Not really acceptable in a first world problem sort of way.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #100
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Can someone point to where the Krytox or tape needs to be installed. Thanks!
Check out post #51. The photos there point out the exact locations.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=51
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      08-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #101
Franco3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This stuff works, mine was creaking like crazy as well, it has been two weeks since I slapped Krytox and the car is silent. Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #102
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean if it were noises coming from bonded carbon fiber body panels or race suspension or something I'd understand but these are noises coming from cheap rubber door seals. Not really acceptable in a first world problem sort of way.
Well you're not acceptable. This whole forum is unacceptable!!!!

Kidding. I feel you, but I like it, even if it comes from a stupid cheap rubber seal. I'm weird, and I embrace it.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #103
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kidding. I feel you, but I like it, even if it comes from a stupid cheap rubber seal. I'm weird, and I embrace it.
Your service advisors must love you lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #104
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Idk what that's supposed to mean? I'm assuming your trying to say that I don't complain about shit in a sarcastic way. Well, when it comes to the issues in the third brake light that I have had and some carpeting/seat issues, I'm a pain in the ass until that shit gets fixed under warranty. But a squeak because of a rubber seal? Not worth it and adds to the ambience. Just because I don't make a big deal of something I could fix myself if I cared to with $10 doesn't mean I'm going to give my dealer the business.

I'm guessing your SA rolls his eyes every time he sees you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #105
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Idk what that's supposed to mean? I'm assuming your trying to say that I don't complain about shit in a sarcastic way. Well, when it comes to the issues in the third brake light that I have had and some carpeting/seat issues, I'm a pain in the ass until that shit gets fixed under warranty. But a squeak because of a rubber seal? Not worth it and adds to the ambience. Just because I don't make a big deal of something I could fix myself if I cared to with $10 doesn't mean I'm going to give my dealer the business.

No I mean a lot of people would go back to dealer repeatedly and insist on getting little rattles fixed, insisting on master techs to go in test drives with them etc. My SA doesn't roll his eyes at me. He gives me crazy eyes when he sees that I cover the seats, wrap the steering wheel, shift knob, brake handle, and door handle pulls in plastic wrap.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      08-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #106
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I mean a lot of people would go back to dealer repeatedly and insist on getting little rattles fixed, insisting on master techs to go in test drives with them etc. My SA doesn't roll his eyes at me. He gives me crazy eyes when he sees that I cover the seats, wrap the steering wheel, shift knob, brake handle, and door handle pulls in plastic wrap.
Lmao I do too. Got the idea from a local performance shop here
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #107
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

I gummi pfleged the hell out of my seals, and it’s quiet as a mouse.... for now.
      08-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #108
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

One week in and I'm getting the same creaks. I'll experiment and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #109
shay2nak
smoke if ya got 'em
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/Lotus Exige/500 Abarth

Haven't had the 1200 service yet, I only notice creaking when I go over speedbumps or a steep driveway.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #110
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

So I took my car in for the 1200 mile service and mentioned the creeks. They lubed the trim and the car is dead silent - I mean the noise(s) is 100% gone - windows up, stereo off, ziltch. I don't know exactly what they did/used (was in a hurry and had to get out of there) but I'll do some digging.

Anyway - point is - I had the opposite experience as OP - car is silent now after 1200 mile service. These are not "rattles", either - thread title is quite misleading.
Appreciate 0