Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #89
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
M3 no way is a downgrade. It's a different type of car (4dr 5seats).

M4 or M2, I'd personally take a Porsche of some sort any day over those (sedan based 2 dr vs purpose built sports/gt car)
Agree! However who puts five people in a M3? I never would do five in my M5 not a good experience. Actually I love the Panamera because you can only seat two so no one will ask to pile in 3
Ummm, I do it all the time. It's called having a family.
      09-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #90
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Duh bro. I have three kids .....I asked because I have not seen 5 people in a M3. I track my fun cars from time to time, and move my family in a bigger vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #91
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Duh bro. I have three kids .....I asked because I have not seen 5 people in a M3. I track my fun cars from time to time, and move my family in a bigger vehicle.
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why transporting 5 people in a 5 seater seems foreign to you. :

Should a vehicle have a 7 passenger limit to be acceptable as transportation for 5 people to you?
      09-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #92
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why transporting 5 people in a 5 seater seems foreign to you. :

Should a vehicle have a 7 passenger limit to be acceptable as transportation for 5 people to you?
Bro, I will leave it at this not trying to have a debate with you. Let me be clear when I drive a so called five seater the one seat behind me is eliminated because of my seat position. Now it's a 4 seater hope you can follow. Next if (we) the family take a across the state trip with 2 kids it will not happen in the M4. We will take the SUV for comfort. My point is it's not optimal, and not a knock on anyone. Lastly, I personally have not seen anyone with 5 people in a small sports car such as a M3 because it has 5 seats. My family would not go 5 deep in my M5, and as I said my experience is why I asked. Hope that was crystal clear, and next time you drive 6 hours in a car let me know how that works with five people all over the age of fifteen.

Last edited by Bimmer6; 09-06-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrtyJrze707.00
      09-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #93
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Hah, someone with low reps asks a very vague question, bails from the thread and members rip each other apart. Even experienced ones... a troll just brought the house down!

Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #94
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I have to move people in the M I would have kept the M5. I just curious about moving 5 people in a sports car the size of a M3 that's all.
Are many of your family / friends tall or "heavyset"?

J/k

I always considered f80 to be a fairly roomy car, but maybe because I previously had an e89 z435 as my daily before the f80

Back to OP, original question, a lot of here have been talking about TT or GT 911. There are older base, S, 4s 911 or 986/987/981 that I think would be a downgrade relative to f80.

981S PDK just had too little straight line punch (especially for the price) for my taste, for example.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer6631.50
      09-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #95
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Are many of your family / friends tall or "heavyset"?

J/k

I always considered f80 to be a fairly roomy car, but maybe because I previously had an e89 z435 as my daily before the f80

Back to OP, original question, a lot of here have been talking about TT or GT 911. There are older base, S, 4s 911 or 986/987/981 that I think would be a downgrade relative to f80.

981S PDK just had too little straight line punch (especially for the price) for my taste, for example.
That was funny. . Nope daughter cheers and very long legs, and son basketball. Me ex-hooper, and baseball ..........6'3 long legs 201lbs. Wife 5'8 and wants space. Happy family happy daddy. All good man. Commence with car talk ....honestly my question was sincere when I asked the question. Enjoy your cars all.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #96
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bro, I will leave it at this not trying to have a debate with you. Let me be clear when I drive a so called five seater the one seat behind me is eliminated because of my seat position. Now it's a 4 seater hope you can follow. Next if (we) the family take a across the state trip with 2 kids it will not happen in the M4. We will take the SUV for comfort. My point is it's not optimal, and not a knock on anyone. Lastly, I personally have not seen anyone with 5 people in a small sports car such as a M3 because it has 5 seats. My family would not go 5 deep in my M5, and as I said my experience is why I asked. Hope that was crystal clear, and next time you drive 6 hours in a car let me know how that works with five people all over the age of fifteen.
Trust me, I'm not pressed about this it's just a convo

You did some clear some things up for me and now you've added qualifiers to your original statement.

FYI, I actually have taken a 6 hour trip with 4 other people (and a dog) for a week long beach vacation in an M3.
      09-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #97
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
The problem with the Panamera is it's super FUGLY. I know I know. This generation is better. Not really.

How could Porsche make a car so hideous? Better question is how do people pay 100k+ for that thing?
We actually like the way ours looks. It drives incredibly, it just feels like a much smaller car, very tight. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in the back too. We traded a one year old E90 M3 for a two year old Panamera with CPO and have been very happy. It was a great value used, I think we paid about 40% less than MSRP.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #98
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
We actually like the way ours looks. It drives incredibly, it just feels like a much smaller car, very tight. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in the back too. We traded a one year old E90 M3 for a two year old Panamera with CPO and have been very happy. It was a great value used, I think we paid about 40% less than MSRP.
The old gen was funky in the rear but does drive so well. M and AMG could learn a lot from them in terms of saloon dynamics.

The new Panamera is stunning looking, delivers even better performance and is still in a class own on quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #99
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

I have owned a Boxster S and a C4S. I would say NO. I have also had a MZ3, e46 M3 and now my M4. I think the M cars are superior, especially when you consider I can actually live with my M4 for a daily as well as a sports car. In addition, I find (maybe not in the brand new P's) the interior on BMW to me way beyond Porsche, the interior of my 03 C4S was a joke. I also find the M cars more enjoyable to drive.... I know a lot of people would disagree on that, but I have been way more impressed with my M3 and M4 than the P cars. Also, I couldn't imagine paying $30k more for a 911 S than a fully loaded M4.... that's crazy
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #100
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

The interiors in Porsches vary greatly, those with full leather and other added trim make them so much nicer. Mine has two tone leather with deviated stitching and the carbon fiber package as well as the adaptive sport seats and it's way nice than the M3 I had.
On the other hand, my '12 Cayman with basic interior was not as nice as the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #101
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The interiors in Porsches vary greatly, those with full leather and other added trim make them so much nicer. Mine has two tone leather with deviated stitching and the carbon fiber package as well as the adaptive sport seats and it's way nice than the M3 I had.
Porsche is definitely a better level of quality overall. Even the most luxurious 7 is nowhere in the realm of luxury a Panamera is. My m4 IMO doesn't feel like a very quality car when you feel the materials. Mine also had a significant number of pieces that were very sub par and rattles galore.
While you can go crazy on a Porsche (my 911 has full leather interior and optional leather wrapped sport seat backs) even without going to full leather the Porsche's are still put together better, along with better paint and panel fitment and hold up better over time where they are the more optioned or basoc dash. In fact, they have the highest percentage of cars still on the road since like 1970 or something like that.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 09-07-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #102
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, I'm not pressed about this it's just a convo

You did some clear some things up for me and now you've added qualifiers to your original statement.

FYI, I actually have taken a 6 hour trip with 4 other people (and a dog) for a week long beach vacation in an M3.
All good bro for sure! Enjoy the M3. I didnt want to sound stogy, in the M3 now my seat it's literally 3 inches from the rear seat. With a rear passenger the wheel is in my chest! I use to live in Long Beach NY.

Last edited by Bimmer6; 09-07-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrtyJrze707.00
      09-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #103
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Sorry M4. Was typing on iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #104
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Here we go again - head of Porsche internet trolling/marketing dept.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Porsche is definitely a better level of quality overall. For the price - it should be better - even though M is still pretty damn good - almost zero issues with mine after 3 years and nearly 60,000 miles. Even the most luxurious 7 is nowhere in the realm of luxury a Panamera is. Yeah right. Oh - nevermind - because you said so it must be true. My m4 IMO doesn't feel like a very quality car when you feel the materials. Maybe not compared to an over $100k USD Porsche - but again - for such a huge price premium, it should be better, right? Mine also had a significant number of pieces that were very sub par (which pieces?) and rattles galore. Never had a single rattle on mine - again - 3 years, almost 60,000 miles, multiple all-day long track events, daily driven including brutal Chicago winter snowstorms and subzero temps.
While you can go crazy on a Porsche (my 911 has full leather interior and optional leather wrapped sport seat backs) even without going to full leather the Porsche's are still put together better, along with better paint and panel fitment and hold up better over time where they are the more optioned or basoc dash. No kidding - to approach the same level of performance in a Porsche and still have the degree of luxury you're talking about - there is a huge price premium to pay. And while Porsche's build quality is no doubt top-notch - how many people daily drive 911's through winter snowstorms and subzero temps? I'm sure the answer is nowhere near as many people who do that in M cars - all while holding 4-5 passengers and their belongings in complete comfort. Do you think that if you have two different otherwise identical Porsches - one that was daily driven through multiple harsh winters and with way more miles than the other is going to "hold up" as well? The whole appeal of an M car is getting close to or the same performance as a comparably-priced Porsche, but with a billion times more practicality. In fact, they have the highest percentage of cars still on the road since like 1970 or something like that. Right - when a car is either a pure weekend car or a garage queen with incredibly low miles vs. a daily-driven car- that tends to be the case.
And while the Panamera I'm sure has great driving dynamics, you have to consider which trim level you're talking about and price. A base Panamera with no options starts at $85,000 USD, has 330 horsepower and weighs just over 4,000 lbs. Comparing stripper model to stripper model - a base M3 can be had for $65,000 USD, has almost 100 horsepower more, weighs over 400 lbs less, is smaller, has way more sporty/aggressive styling and will blow the doors completely off the base Panamera whether in a straight line, the track, or anywhere in between. Oh - and in case I forgot to mention, all while being able to hold the same number of passengers as the Panamera, without the hideously-styled back end of the Panamera, and with an extra $20,000 (before taxes) that can be put toward your multiple kids' college tuitions and other more essential family expenses. M car is looking pretty damn good now, isn't it????

Bottom line - you should be fired as Porsche's head of internet forum trolling/marketing and replaced with someone who actually understands the concept of "apples-to-apples" comparisons...
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #105
REDEV217342
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (sold)

Quote:
Porsche is definitely a better level of quality overall. Even the most luxurious 7 is nowhere in the realm of luxury a Panamera is. My m4 IMO doesn't feel like a very quality car when you feel the materials. Mine also had a significant number of pieces that were very sub par and rattles galore.
While you can go crazy on a Porsche (my 911 has full leather interior and optional leather wrapped sport seat backs) even without going to full leather the Porsche's are still put together better, along with better paint and panel fitment and hold up better over time where they are the more optioned or basoc dash. In fact, they have the highest percentage of cars still on the road since like 1970 or something like that.
from a multiple Porsche car owner myself (and general car enthusiast, non badge whore ambassador).....you are nauseating. Absolutely nauseating dude.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #106
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEV217342 View Post
from a multiple Porsche car owner myself (and general car enthusiast, non badge whore ambassador).....you are nauseating. Absolutely nauseating dude.
Thank you so much for adding that. I have nothing against Porsche cars themselves - in fact - I think the 911 GT3 is one of the most amazing cars out there - but this Motorsporttrollingporschefanboypukefestenterprise is out of control...
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #107
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Doesnt Subaru actually hold that honor re percentages of cars still on the road? I smell BS. But I could be wrong
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #108
Fatandre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Hah, someone with low reps asks a very vague question, bails from the thread and members rip each other apart. Even experienced ones... a troll just brought the house down!

No troll. Just been observing and reading.
I think I will go with the BMW as I like to drive my cars all the time and its good to have the practicality
      09-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #109
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Doesnt Subaru actually hold that honor re percentages of cars still on the road? I smell BS. But I could be wrong
The thread came from Bimmerpost. More than 85% of Porsche still on the road.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849082
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #110
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

I've owned and loved multiple M cars including Z4M's , M3,S and M6's . I now daily drive a 991.2 Turbo S and it is better in every way that matters to me , I.e dynamically . Has better steering feel , wayyy better acceleration 2.5 0-60 stock 10.49@131mph , much greater cornering grip , less body roll , less understeer, transitions better , stops better , much faster on track , and more fun to drive . That being said the negatives are less trunk space , and much greater up front cost . Interior quality is right there with my M6 but I prefer the ergonomics in the Porsche slightly . BMW makes damn good looking cars that's personal preference . No need to degrade someone else choices to make you feel better about your own . All cars are stupid investments , do it because it's what you want and can afford .
Appreciate 1