Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-18-2018, 03:56 AM   #23
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Having recently had a 36 hour test drive of a C63 coupe (non S) I have to admit I came away wanting to make the switch.. like you say, the front end is super aggressive and wide, the rear is a grower but definately not bad looking.

My only criticism was the gearbox, nowhere near as good as M-DCT, I found it jerky even in auto and comfort mode. When driving properly it was fine but not when cruising, oddly enough.

I’m still wanting to jump across, but I’m finding even a non S coupe working out much more expensive than the M3/4. Plus APR is almost 6%

My current plan is to wait another 6 months and try for a facelift.
Here’s the car I had, I quite liked the 18” wheels, they had a decent concave.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Having recently had a 36 hour test drive of a C63 coupe (non S) I have to admit I came away wanting to make the switch.. like you say, the front end is super aggressive and wide, the rear is a grower but definately not bad looking.

My only criticism was the gearbox, nowhere near as good as M-DCT, I found it jerky even in auto and comfort mode. When driving properly it was fine but not when cruising, oddly enough.

I'm still wanting to jump across, but I'm finding even a non S coupe working out much more expensive than the M3/4. Plus APR is almost 6%

Here's the car I had, I quite liked the 18" wheels, they had a decent concave.

[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/xew8ffto5/4_A7...7_E7_C9_C4.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/4chyclzol/7023...4026397_D6.jpg[/img]
Yes, the gearbox is definitely not as good as the DCT. I'm also noticing some minor creaks inside the car, which is odd as the finishing it top notch, maybe the build not so much? Or it could just be a one off thing on mine. A non issue though, the exhaust noise takes care of it.

I definitely had the sticker shock for sure! I negotiated pretty hard on this one because I knew it has been sitting on their lot for a couple months and was the last 18 before they got the face-lift allocations. The price came down to just about 2 grand over my M4, and yet, my monthly went up by about 400 - that's like adding another nice car in there! They just don't budge on the APR, which is horrendous.

That being said, I definitely think that at least in Seattle, the C63s are definitely much rarer. I see at least 1-2 M3/4 on my way to work everyday. I've seen 2 other C63s this entire year. Not that it matters too much, but you can definitely see the effects of them not being aggressive with their offers. I do think though, that both Merc and Audi are using these cars as their halo, rare cars to sell the C43 and the RS3s like hotcakes.
JTO245274.50
      08-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
So, my 2015 M4 lease was up this month and I had a couple of options:
  • Buy my own M4 -- Considering that the expectation was to have 36K miles @ lease end, and I only had babied it with 13K miles, that wouldn't have been a bad option
  • Get a new M4 -- The LCI update isn't that much better, and there were other issues I had with getting another F82. More on that later.
  • Some other car

I seriously considered purchasing my own car because of the low miles, how well it was taken care of, and well, because I also really loved the damn thing. But what really bugged me a lot was how ancient the car felt in interior quality, design and technology every time I got in it. I know, I know, it's supposed to be a drivers' car, the fancy cabin stuff doesn't matter, yada yada … but really, when you are shelling out that much money on a massively depreciating asset, I think it matters. (And well, I am also an engineer, so I love having the tech).

Update to a newer M4 also wouldn't have solved anything because nothing has really changed. So that was out of question. Looked into M5, felt too executive. Looked at M6, beyond budget.

That left me with either the new RS5 or the C63S Coupe. I actually really liked the new RS5 in Nardo Grey. Looks sick, and is really, really fast. And man, the cabin tech is just another level! But when I drove it, it lacked 'soul'. It was fast, it handled well, but it felt that the car just took care of everything, and I was just a passenger. And not to mention, the Audi salesmen (in 3 different dealerships) were all jerks. One even asked me "do you even know how much this costs? You sure you can afford it?" when I asked for a test drive. F them! Went to the Mercedes dealership instead.

Right of the bat, those guys were awesome. I spent 7 hours with this awesome sales guy driving various cars, even considering ED. Somehow, I was convinced that the C43 Coupe (yes, 43) was the right car for me. Got a great deal, drove it home. Over the next week, and about 300 miles later, I was certain I made a mistake. Nice car, quick and stuff, but it really is just a glorified C400 in AMG sheepskin. Now this speaks volume about the dealership, they took the car back, no costs to me, and still gave me a great deal on the 2018 C63S Coupe!

It's been 3 weeks, and I can confirm that I picked the right car, and could not have been happier!

Few early observations on the C63S vs the M4:
  • BMW *seriously* needs to up its interior game! I've seen some of the newer cabins (M5), and they are still, meh!
  • The power delivery on the C63S is much more immediate and harsher than the M4. That is, when the gears shift properly. I have witnessed it hesitate a bit unless you smash it, and when you do smash it, it goes like bat out of hell. M4's DCT was much better, and quicker! I hear the 9-speed auto in 2019s are much better for the C63S.
  • Not much comparison between the looks, that's mostly a subjective thing. I personally love the front of the C63S, but the rear of the M4.
  • Oh and the audio. The standard Burmester in the Merc is miles above the H/K we got as a 900 dollar option in the M4. Take notes, BMW, take notes.
  • Now to the meat: The damn exhaust! No comparison, period. The AMG is mad, just mad. It's the kind of sound that you scare little children (and possibly adults) with. It's just pure joy. You put it on Sports+ and drive spiritedly, and I will guarantee you everyone looks at you -- amazed, happy, shocked and terrified! That being said, no artificial sound piped in, and isolation is pretty damn good. So if you close all windows, you really don't even hear the madness, which is good, I guess?
  • It feels surprisingly nimble. I always remember the C63s being big German muscle cars (although, aren't they all muscle cars now?), that would happily kill you. But that was probably during Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear era. This feels a lot more refined, and surprisingly, even more assured at higher speeds in some rough roads than my M4. I remember how my M4 got pretty unsettled at times when the road was irregular.

All-in-all, I am happy with the car. I think it is fast, aggressive and a beautiful thing to be in. And no, I have not sold my soul to Mercedes The M3 had been my dream car since I was 14, and almost all my recent cars have been BMWs. So count me in as a fanboy. Recently though, I feel BMWs have wavered a bit, so I am just taking a break waiting for the next M3/4. I am reading good stuff on the G20 3 series, and if that is any indication of the next M3/4, it would just be epic!

That's all. Wanted to share this here as I don't see this kind of stuff quite often.

Cheers, and I will be back to the family very soon!

Oh, and pics (I will add more soon)

This was a fun post. It's well written, detailed and enjoyable to read. Enjoy your new c63s. It's an impressive car to be sure, and it has a v8. Mercedes AMG deserves credit for sticking with the v8 in the c63.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post

I’m still wanting to jump across, but I’m finding even a non S coupe working out much more expensive than the M3/4. Plus APR is almost 6%

Here’s the car I had, I quite liked the 18” wheels, they had a decent concave.

Beautiful car and agree those wheels look great
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
CommonProject
Rep
Drives: None

Yet fanboys still come out and say BMW interiors are better. They're so behind in this category
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Thank you for the detailed post.
I know the C63 S is a phenomenal car! However, I personally think the M4 is soooo much better looking and more aggressive looking as well . (That's a personal opinion, just a reminder! Lol) - The rear of the C63 is such a turn off. However, its front is really awesome.
Regarding the interior, I love mine. I have only seen pics of the interior of a new C63 so I can't really comment on that.
Anyway, enjoy your new ride.

Ps: Yes, I've heard the exhaust on the C63 is awesome. i wish the M4 sounded like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #29
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: I swapped out my '18 C63S Coupe with a '15 M6 GC
      03-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #30
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
bought and sold my 17' C63S in 7 months, cool car, but some stuff on it seemed cheap(my other Mercedes were a 16' AMG GTS and still have a 14' SL65). I had to replace MULTIPLE interior pieces at the dealer. I just bought an 18 ZCP M3 and am WAY happier with the car.
      03-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Welcome back..I had 2017 M3..then 2017 Amg C63s..now M3cs
Appreciate 1
Gtracer53.50
      03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #32
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
Welcome back..I had 2017 M3..then 2017 Amg C63s..now M3cs
What is it about the C63 that you didn't like? On paper it seems amazing. Killer motor, great interior, solid handling. I currently have an M2 and I'm considering an M4 or a C63 or possibly a Dinan stage 4 tune on the M2. Thanks for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #33
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
What is it about the C63 that you didn't like? On paper it seems amazing. Killer motor, great interior, solid handling. I currently have an M2 and I'm considering an M4 or a C63 or possibly a Dinan stage 4 tune on the M2. Thanks for any feedback
The new C63S coupe is much improved. That is the car to have IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #34
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Explain.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #35
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Quote:
Well let talk about the interior..if you do not have full leather in the M3/M4
Then yes the AMG seems a little nicer..but I have had full leather in my cars so I think they are on the same level. I had the 2door and it did handle good..but it is a heavy car
I have not driven the 2019 yet with the new transmission..but I did not like the 7 speed
The sound was amazing compared to the Mcars..but in the end I like the way
The Mcars drive..and the CS is on a different level..but in the end it is all
A personal thing..both cars are great and most people would be happy to
Have either one..if I would get another Merc..it would be from the GT line
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #36
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Explain.
Well, most of it is non-tabgible. I never got the feels from the car. But for more tangible stuff:

- The transmission had a mind of its own. Nearly crashed twice entering the HOV lane quickly when the transmission was still making up its mind on which gear to shift to (I think 2019 models fix this)

- Overall handling and feel was very springy. I know most modern cars with turbos are going towards the torque numbers and feel big and bloated, but this felt much less connected than my M4

- The interior, while it looks nice, was falling apart. Had more rattles and creaks than my 8-year-old X5 which barely has any, even with my 100 lb German Shepherd running havoc inside

- Online community sucked. The AMG private lounge. Oh boy! They make it so you NEED to have a damn AMG to join, and that is supposed to make you feel more elite? Lol. No wonder no one there had any sense of humor.

As far as non-tangibles go, I grew up loving the e30 M3. I've been an M guy for the longest time. I switched to AMG because I was waiting for the next M3/4 and I thought the AMG would fill that void -- I was wrong.

I got the M6 because it's depreciated enough where I can afford it. And it just worked out where someone wanted my C63S and I wanted their M6.

Credit where it's due though — that AMG performance exhaust noise was just epic.
Thescout134944.00
      03-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #37
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
Quote:
Well let talk about the interior..if you do not have full leather in the M3/M4
Then yes the AMG seems a little nicer..but I have had full leather in my cars so I think they are on the same level. I had the 2door and it did handle good..but it is a heavy car
I have not driven the 2019 yet with the new transmission..but I did not like the 7 speed
The sound was amazing compared to the Mcars..but in the end I like the way
The Mcars drive..and the CS is on a different level..but in the end it is all
A personal thing..both cars are great and most people would be happy to
Have either one..if I would get another Merc..it would be from the GT line
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to look at a few C63S this weekend. I have now driven a M4CS and was smitten. I have become obsessed. I think it is the most beautiful car I have ever seen, the interior is great, I think it sounds amazing, and I just love everything about it.

Before I bought the M2 I had a 2015 Audi RS5. I didn't have it for very long as I purchased it for the motor. Being my first "performance" car I thought everything was about the motor. Unfortunately it's heavy, understeers, doesn't brake well, and the interior rattled so badly.

From this I have learned that a car is more than just a motor. The M4 seems to have it all where my concern with the C63 is I'm only interested in the motor. The M2 is a complete package. I think the M4 is the next step. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #38
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
03/06/2019 UPDATE: I swapped out my '18 C63S Coupe with a '15 M6 GC

-------------

• Buy my own M4 -- Considering that the expectation was to have 36K miles @ lease end, and I only had babied it with 13K miles, that wouldn't have been a bad option
  • Get a new M4 -- The LCI update isn't that much better, and there were other issues I had with getting another F82. More on that later.
  • Some other car

I seriously considered purchasing my own car because of the low miles, how well it was taken care of, and well, because I also really loved the damn thing. But what really bugged me a lot was how ancient the car felt in interior quality, design and technology every time I got in it. I know, I know, it's supposed to be a drivers' car, the fancy cabin stuff doesn't matter, yada yada … but really, when you are shelling out that much money on a massively depreciating asset, I think it matters. (And well, I am also an engineer, so I love having the tech).

Update to a newer M4 also wouldn't have solved anything because nothing has really changed. So that was out of question. Looked into M5, felt too executive. Looked at M6, beyond budget.

That left me with either the new RS5 or the C63S Coupe. I actually really liked the new RS5 in Nardo Grey. Looks sick, and is really, really fast. And man, the cabin tech is just another level! But when I drove it, it lacked 'soul'. It was fast, it handled well, but it felt that the car just took care of everything, and I was just a passenger. And not to mention, the Audi salesmen (in 3 different dealerships) were all jerks. One even asked me "do you even know how much this costs? You sure you can afford it?" when I asked for a test drive. F them! Went to the Mercedes dealership instead.

Right of the bat, those guys were awesome. I spent 7 hours with this awesome sales guy driving various cars, even considering ED. Somehow, I was convinced that the C43 Coupe (yes, 43) was the right car for me. Got a great deal, drove it home. Over the next week, and about 300 miles later, I was certain I made a mistake. Nice car, quick and stuff, but it really is just a glorified C400 in AMG sheepskin. Now this speaks volume about the dealership, they took the car back, no costs to me, and still gave me a great deal on the 2018 C63S Coupe!

It's been 3 weeks, and I can confirm that I picked the right car, and could not have been happier!

• BMW *seriously* needs to up its interior game! I've seen some of the newer cabins (M5), and they are still, meh!
  • The power delivery on the C63S is much more immediate and harsher than the M4. That is, when the gears shift properly. I have witnessed it hesitate a bit unless you smash it, and when you do smash it, it goes like bat out of hell. M4's DCT was much better, and quicker! I hear the 9-speed auto in 2019s are much better for the C63S.
  • Not much comparison between the looks, that's mostly a subjective thing. I personally love the front of the C63S, but the rear of the M4.
  • Oh and the audio. The standard Burmester in the Merc is miles above the H/K we got as a 900 dollar option in the M4. Take notes, BMW, take notes.
  • Now to the meat: The damn exhaust! No comparison, period. The AMG is mad, just mad. It's the kind of sound that you scare little children (and possibly adults) with. It's just pure joy. You put it on Sports+ and drive spiritedly, and I will guarantee you everyone looks at you -- amazed, happy, shocked and terrified! That being said, no artificial sound piped in, and isolation is pretty damn good. So if you close all windows, you really don't even hear the madness, which is good, I guess?
  • It feels surprisingly nimble. I always remember the C63s being big German muscle cars (although, aren't they all muscle cars now?), that would happily kill you. But that was probably during Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear era. This feels a lot more refined, and surprisingly, even more assured at higher speeds in some rough roads than my M4. I remember how my M4 got pretty unsettled at times when the road was irregular.

All-in-all, I am happy with the car. I think it is fast, aggressive and a beautiful thing to be in. And no, I have not sold my soul to Mercedes The M3 had been my dream car since I was 14, and almost all my recent cars have been BMWs. So count me in as a fanboy. Recently though, I feel BMWs have wavered a bit, so I am just taking a break waiting for the next M3/4. I am reading good stuff on the G20 3 series, and if that is any indication of the next M3/4, it would just be epic!

That's all. Wanted to share this here as I don't see this kind of stuff quite often.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Great review! There is a dark grey C63s up street from. Car looks awesome. I love my M3 but if we are honest with ourselves the C63s is a step above the M3/4

Only negative I've ever heard was the quality of the ride but that was years ago;early 2000's

What a great buying experience as well.
Congratulations on the car.

That thing looks Boss 👍🏾

Wait; your back in an M👍🏿
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #39
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Added some pics, will add more soon.
You haven't found a Mercedes C63 forum yet?

Don't care...
Quote:
Quote:

Don't care...
Whaaaat 🤷*♀️
Your comment makes no sense 👨🏿*🎓
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #40
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
  • Some other car

This was a fun post. It's well written, detailed and enjoyable to read. Enjoy your new c63s. It's an impressive car to be sure, and it has a v8. Mercedes AMG deserves credit for sticking with the v8 in the c63.
Quote:
Quote:

Don't care...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
  • Some other car

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Absolutely; great write up!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #41
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Just came out.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #42
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

Just came out.
Not bad, only 2sec behind sport auto’s time with the M4 CS.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #43
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

donovanluong worth a read.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #44
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Not bad, only 2sec behind sport auto’s time with the M4 CS.
True, however the M4 CS was wearing Michelin Cup 2 tires and the C63S only had Michelin Super Sports. On equal tires the C63S would be faster.
Appreciate 0