Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

GTS Steering + Diff

Coded this on.

This is how car should have come from factory, if you don't do this you are missing out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
ofer1353
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2022 X5 45e

Can I ask a few questions.

1) Did you do the coding yourself?
2) If not, how long did it take?
3) Did you use a battery tender / how long did it take?
4) I have read the forums - what are your impressions of the differences?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I think everyone who does the GTS coding for Diff and Trans, and CS for Steering and EDC is like...

OMG this is Awesome!

Don't ask how the GTS EDC is...
Humdizzle6040.50
      06-04-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer1353 View Post
Can I ask a few questions.

1) Did you do the coding yourself?
2) If not, how long did it take?
3) Did you use a battery tender / how long did it take?
4) I have read the forums - what are your impressions of the differences?
1,2,3) I used the thor app actually, it wasn't bad, the app is super glitchy though, it didn't detect my car for about 15 minutes. The actual flash took 3 minutes because i only did steering and diff, did not need MDM as i drive TC off.

4) I am super sensitive to changes so i may potentially be too ecstatic but the car is transformed

Steering = The steering in comfort is a bit light, the tactility is actually less tactile than stock. I can't feel much of the road but it's alot more direct than stock.

The steering in sport is the best, it's incredibly direct and tactile, it feels like the car lost 600 pounds. That's the only way i can describe it. It's shoot and point go kart style especially at high speed. It brings out the best in the chassis

Steering in sport+ i haven't played around with too much but in my limited opinion it is a bit too direct, great for track use but can be cumbersome in downtown roads.

The Differential = The diff is a massive change, the car hunts traction, it shoots and goes, it doesn't feel lazy. You can feel the cornering G forces. I am absolutely in love with the diff. The biggest suprise was how much it grips, it makes the stock car feel absolutely lazy and asleep.

Honestly I have had tunes, tires, brake upgrades, etc done and this is the best upgrade. The car is complete
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I think everyone who does the GTS coding for Diff and Trans, and CS for Steering and EDC is like...

OMG this is Awesome!

Is the CS steering better than the GTS?

I was thinking of going

GTS diff and steering + CS EDC
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

The steering feels similar and I didn't really notice a difference between CS and GTS. They both feel leaps and bounds better than ZCP. The CS EDC is the cherry on top.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

OMG this is Awesome!

Is the CS steering better than the GTS?

I was thinking of going

GTS diff and steering + CS EDC
Guys who like track like the GTS steering. CS is a little less firm than GTS and I like it for street.

GTS diff for sure.
      06-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Interesting about CS steering being awesome.

Either way the stock car's diff and steering are absolutely horrid compared to the GTS or CS.

Can't believe i drove this car this long without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:22 PM   #9
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

You should try the GTS DCT - very noticeable improvement day to day
      06-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #10
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:

OMG this is Awesome!

What do you mean, the GTS EDC is phenomenal!

JK but the GTS diff is a must IMO, the car feels soooooo much more planted esp in a straight line, even if fighting for traction it no longer feels like it might bite you, feels safer

I only have 6 gears so I can't comment on the tranny flash

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:13 AM   #11
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yup this is one of the best mods. gts diff really helps with powering out of corners, even with a stage 1 tune.

its nice getting all the R&D BMW put into the CS/GTS software for basically free.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Anyone know if CS/GTS code can be applied to a 2020 M4 ZCP that has locked DME?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #13
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

The lock should only be for engine tuning. Coding is a little different.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #14
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Man, i am in love.

I am super sensitive to everything, so the dead spot steering, the lazy diff, etc was really bugging me.

I made a previous thread saying in downtown roads the car is awful and i am certain it was due to the fact that at low speed and constantly having to accelerate in some capacity from a dig while the steering is all over the place was horrid.

I burnt a half tank since last night driving to nowhere.

To anyone getting an M do the diff and steering it is the best money you will ever spend.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I hope bm3 has this option. I plan to go w/ them after my warranty up. Loved bm3 on my 335i, my F30 felt like a budget M3.
      06-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #16
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvckReign View Post
I hope bm3 has this option. I plan to go w/ them after my warranty up. Loved bm3 on my 335i, my F30 felt like a budget M3.
You can have it done now without voiding the warranty, people like kubax86 can do it for you remotely and for a very reasonable price

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #17
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvckReign View Post
You can have it done now without voiding the warranty, people like kubax86 can do it for you remotely and for a very reasonable price
Even if it voids it, it's worth it.

The stock M4 is a Honda Civic. I was actually considering selling mine before this. Now i can't stop leaving the house, power tunes are overrated and high risk of voiding warranty.

This flash is not.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #18
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Man, i am in love.

I am super sensitive to everything, so the dead spot steering, the lazy diff, etc was really bugging me.

I made a previous thread saying in downtown roads the car is awful and i am certain it was due to the fact that at low speed and constantly having to accelerate in some capacity from a dig while the steering is all over the place was horrid.

I burnt a half tank since last night driving to nowhere.

To anyone getting an M do the diff and steering it is the best money you will ever spend.
I'm glad you've sorted the issues out and can enjoy the car now.
      06-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #19
ofer1353
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2022 X5 45e

For people that have used kubax how did you do it? Did you have to have a laptop and a trickle charger?

I have an enet to iPhone adapter but would prefer not having to buy a laptop to flash. Draining my battery is also a concern.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #20
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer1353 View Post
For people that have used kubax how did you do it? Did you have to have a laptop and a trickle charger?

I have an enet to iPhone adapter but would prefer not having to buy a laptop to flash. Draining my battery is also a concern.
Yes you need a laptop and it’s highly recommended for a batt charger esp if you have an older model (I’m on the mobile site so can’t see what year you have).

You can’t remote code with a windows laptop or macbook with paralells/bootcamp.

If you’re not willing to buy the equipment, a lot of bmw shops like EAS can code as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 03:38 AM   #21
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Glad to hear that the coding has worked out well for you.

I, too, just had professional coding done on my 2018 ZCP F83 this past week with the following main tweaks/impressions thus far:

GTS Steering
- I used to always drive in Sport (Sport+ for canyon carving), but I now drive in Comfort. Comfort used to be too light/dead and I almost never used it, but Comfort now seems to be a nice balance of sensitivity and maneuverability.
- Sport and Sport+ seem too heavy for most occasions, whilst they were usable before.
- I wish I enjoyed the new Sport mode

GTS Diff
- The car feels a tad less squirrelly on taking corners, but I can't say it's a very obvious difference from ZCP

CS EDC
- The car seems to handle going over bumpy stretches better than before. It still does the occasional hop when making a turn over a bumpy stretch, but not as easily/readily as it did before

One clear difference, and source of frustration, for me is that my car's throttle now seems less responsive. I understand that it supposedly has nothing to do with the coding, but it's been a marked difference pre and post coding. While I used to be able to get significant pull while in 5th gear (for both Sport and Sport+), I now get very little pull even with WOT unless I downshift to 3rd gear, and when I do so it takes about a second before a sudden rise to 5k RPM and then the power kicks in. Anything above 3rd gear and the car does a very gradual pull in spite of WOT. The car feels significantly laggier as a result, and I no longer have the point and shoot experience as I did pre-coding.

I drive with traction control on - just as I did before.

One plausible explanation is that the throttle adaptations have been reset because of the coding, and so my ECU has to relearn the way I drive. But as RugbyBro pointed out to me, if that were the case then I shouldn't feel any lag in Sport+ since throttle adaptation does not apply to Sport+ mode.

Really frustrating as in spite of some benefits that coding has brought, I'm enjoying my car a fair bit less. I really miss the point and shoot nature of my pre-coding car.

I'm monitoring the car to see if the throttle response improves, but otherwise I'm thinking of either hitting up another coder to see if I can get my car back to the way it was.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Glad to hear that the coding has worked out well for you.

I, too, just had professional coding done on my 2018 ZCP F83 this past week with the following main tweaks/impressions thus far:

GTS Steering
- I used to always drive in Sport (Sport+ for canyon carving), but I now drive in Comfort. Comfort used to be too light/dead and I almost never used it, but Comfort now seems to be a nice balance of sensitivity and maneuverability.
- Sport and Sport+ seem too heavy for most occasions, whilst they were usable before.
- I wish I enjoyed the new Sport mode

GTS Diff
- The car feels a tad less squirrelly on taking corners, but I can't say it's a very obvious difference from ZCP

CS EDC
- The car seems to handle going over bumpy stretches better than before. It still does the occasional hop when making a turn over a bumpy stretch, but not as easily/readily as it did before

One clear difference, and source of frustration, for me is that my car's throttle now seems less responsive. I understand that it supposedly has nothing to do with the coding, but it's been a marked difference pre and post coding. While I used to be able to get significant pull while in 5th gear (for both Sport and Sport+), I now get very little pull even with WOT unless I downshift to 3rd gear, and when I do so it takes about a second before a sudden rise to 5k RPM and then the power kicks in. Anything above 3rd gear and the car does a very gradual pull in spite of WOT. The car feels significantly laggier as a result, and I no longer have the point and shoot experience as I did pre-coding.

I drive with traction control on - just as I did before.

One plausible explanation is that the throttle adaptations have been reset because of the coding, and so my ECU has to relearn the way I drive. But as RugbyBro pointed out to me, if that were the case then I shouldn't feel any lag in Sport+ since throttle adaptation does not apply to Sport+ mode.

Really frustrating as in spite of some benefits that coding has brought, I'm enjoying my car a fair bit less. I really miss the point and shoot nature of my pre-coding car.

I'm monitoring the car to see if the throttle response improves, but otherwise I'm thinking of either hitting up another coder to see if I can get my car back to the way it was.
Anyone else experiencing this throttle response? Was about ready to pull the trigger on the this but this negative feedback on the throttle response has me concern.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0