Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
JrStig
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Coded this on.

This is how car should have come from factory, if you don't do this you are missing out.
I have Bootmod3 and Bimmercode as well as a Veapeak Adaptor

How do i code the GTS steering on ? I already have the GTS trans coded since it came with bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #24
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Glad to hear that the coding has worked out well for you.

I, too, just had professional coding done on my 2018 ZCP F83 this past week with the following main tweaks/impressions thus far:

GTS Steering
- I used to always drive in Sport (Sport+ for canyon carving), but I now drive in Comfort. Comfort used to be too light/dead and I almost never used it, but Comfort now seems to be a nice balance of sensitivity and maneuverability.
- Sport and Sport+ seem too heavy for most occasions, whilst they were usable before.
- I wish I enjoyed the new Sport mode

GTS Diff
- The car feels a tad less squirrelly on taking corners, but I can't say it's a very obvious difference from ZCP

CS EDC
- The car seems to handle going over bumpy stretches better than before. It still does the occasional hop when making a turn over a bumpy stretch, but not as easily/readily as it did before

One clear difference, and source of frustration, for me is that my car's throttle now seems less responsive. I understand that it supposedly has nothing to do with the coding, but it's been a marked difference pre and post coding. While I used to be able to get significant pull while in 5th gear (for both Sport and Sport+), I now get very little pull even with WOT unless I downshift to 3rd gear, and when I do so it takes about a second before a sudden rise to 5k RPM and then the power kicks in. Anything above 3rd gear and the car does a very gradual pull in spite of WOT. The car feels significantly laggier as a result, and I no longer have the point and shoot experience as I did pre-coding.

I drive with traction control on - just as I did before.

One plausible explanation is that the throttle adaptations have been reset because of the coding, and so my ECU has to relearn the way I drive. But as RugbyBro pointed out to me, if that were the case then I shouldn't feel any lag in Sport+ since throttle adaptation does not apply to Sport+ mode.

Really frustrating as in spite of some benefits that coding has brought, I'm enjoying my car a fair bit less. I really miss the point and shoot nature of my pre-coding car.

I'm monitoring the car to see if the throttle response improves, but otherwise I'm thinking of either hitting up another coder to see if I can get my car back to the way it was.
Anyone else experiencing this throttle response? Was about ready to pull the trigger on the this but this negative feedback on the throttle response has me concern.

Thanks!
Funny enough i took the car out to some backroads today.

The throttle response is now insane, the car before would hesitate when pinning it as the diff was trying to figure out how to deal with the power.

Now it feels like I am launching from a roll. I am not sure how the throttle response got neutered in this case.

I suspect that if coded on by someone else there may have been an update done, i.e. later year models have a more linear torque curve which can be misconstrued with a negative throttle response.

I have read this happen multiple times with remote coding but i honestly don't know.

For me the car became unleashed, throttle steering now is a work of art, any hint of understeer in a sweeper you can just lay into the throttle and the back end comes swinging around.

The car is so changed that my 62 year old father who doesn't know anything about cars + my sister who both had been in my car prior to coding mentioned:

"why is the back swinging, this car feels weird, did you do something to it?"

"Be careful, it feels kind of weird and twitchy"

Then after i mentioned i had the coding done, so this isn't a placebo from my end, we weren't even talking about the car and they felt the need to talk about how it felt weird.

Truthfully super excited again about owning it, feels like day 1.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #25
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
The throttle response is now insane, the car before would hesitate when pinning it as the diff was trying to figure out how to deal with the power.
This is what I'm feeling from my car now. When I pin it, even when on the freeway and downshifting to 3rd or 4th gear (in Sport+), it stays in the same lower RPM range for a second, and then the RPM jumps to 5k+, as if the car finally figured out what to do with the input.

Quote:
I suspect that if coded on by someone else there may have been an update done, i.e. later year models have a more linear torque curve which can be misconstrued with a negative throttle response.

I have read this happen multiple times with remote coding but i honestly don't know.
Hm, what is updated in such an instance, specifically? So that I can go back to the coder and ask if that was done. Would a non-dealer coder do any major software updates beyond what's being requested?

Quote:
For me the car became unleashed, throttle steering now is a work of art, any hint of understeer in a sweeper you can just lay into the throttle and the back end comes swinging around.

The car is so changed that my 62 year old father who doesn't know anything about cars + my sister who both had been in my car prior to coding mentioned:

Then after i mentioned i had the coding done, so this isn't a placebo from my end, we weren't even talking about the car and they felt the need to talk about how it felt weird.

Congrats on having your car's abilities unleashed, must feel great. Funny that you mention your car feeling kinda weird and twitchy to your family - one reason I wanted to code for GTS Diff and CS EDC was that I read accounts of cars becoming less twitchy. There must be a significant level of subjectivity in perceptions (and preferences). Does GTS Diff make the car less or more twitchy in the rear? Is twitchy good or bad? Haha
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 06:29 AM   #26
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Quote:
This is what I'm feeling from my car now. When I pin it, even when on the freeway and downshifting to 3rd or 4th gear (in Sport+), it stays in the same lower RPM range for a second, and then the RPM jumps to 5k+, as if the car finally figured out what to do with the input.

Quote:

Hm, what is updated in such an instance, specifically? So that I can go back to the coder and ask if that was done. Would a non-dealer coder do any major software updates beyond what's being requested?

Quote:

Congrats on having your car's abilities unleashed, must feel great. Funny that you mention your car feeling kinda weird and twitchy to your family - one reason I wanted to code for GTS Diff and CS EDC was that I read accounts of cars becoming less twitchy. There must be a significant level of subjectivity in perceptions (and preferences). Does GTS Diff make the car less or more twitchy in the rear? Is twitchy good or bad? Haha
So if remote coding is done i have heard of multiple instances of needing certain updates to bring the car into a position where it could have the coding done, i.e. firmware to a later year. If yours was an early model car it may have been done. I think the best way to check is either bring it into a dealer if you are out of warranty and don't care or ask the person if they coded it or had to update the car before flashing. Also please try resetting your adaptations.

In regards to feel:

This is coming from 2 people who don't understand cars or sensation though. The car is definitely not "twitchy".

What has changed is that it has become direct instead of vague, i.e. a certain amount of steering angle or throttle in a corner does x amount of movement.

Previously it was like give it 15% gas, feel a bunch of slip, feel the diff all confused, and then when steering the dead zone would show up and you just never knew how much to steer. It was not confidence inspiring, as a driver i don't like vagueness.

The car is now simply very direct, and hunts for traction, can power out of corners, and the rear end finally feels like it is stuck to my gas pedal so i can do with it what i please.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #27
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
So if remote coding is done i have heard of multiple instances of needing certain updates to bring the car into a position where it could have the coding done, i.e. firmware to a later year. If yours was an early model car it may have been done. I think the best way to check is either bring it into a dealer if you are out of warranty and don't care or ask the person if they coded it or had to update the car before flashing. Also please try resetting your adaptations.
Thanks, mine is an LCI (2018) so I'm guessing it falls into the later year category. Coder said he did nothing except code for the specific items, but let me double check. If things don't improve in the near future, I'll reset the adaptations, then see if I should hit up another coder, or get the thor app like you did

Quote:
The car is now simply very direct, and hunts for traction, can power out of corners, and the rear end finally feels like it is stuck to my gas pedal so i can do with it what i please.
Just what I'm looking for My car felt closer to this description in terms of it being stuck to the gas pedal. Have fun with yours!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #28
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

This is one of my favorite things I've done too. There is definitely that directness you describe where it doesn't feel confused and when you want to rotate it more just give it a little more throttle. The way I would describe it is the car just feels so much more predictable around corners and less confused as you said. One main thing I've noticed is before when doing a pull in a lower gear in a straight line the back end would kick out whenever you spin the tires and the car would want to get completely sideways on you. But now whenever you spin the tires the car stays completely straight it's amazing!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #29
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
This is one of my favorite things I've done too. There is definitely that directness you describe where it doesn't feel confused and when you want to rotate it more just give it a little more throttle. The way I would describe it is the car just feels so much more predictable around corners and less confused as you said. One main thing I've noticed is before when doing a pull in a lower gear in a straight line the back end would kick out whenever you spin the tires and the car would want to get completely sideways on you. But now whenever you spin the tires the car stays completely straight it's amazing!
I have not tried this yet, if so i would be super happy, rolling burnouts ahhaah.

I was actually scared to pin the car in lower gears previously due to the car getting sideways.
Appreciate 1
HyeM3464.50
      06-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #30
stealthm4f8x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

What more direct/raw ? CS or GTS steering? I don't care about tightness I just want it to feel the least artificial as possible
Appreciate 0