EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Just wanted your guys honest opinion. I know this is the F8x sub, so there will be some bias.. but not all situations are equal.

I bought CPO a 340i with msport and thp, for $28.4K last April (got a great covid deal). 30K miles. Im up to 37K. I'v done zero power mods to the car. Ive only done dinan springs + bumpstops, and shockware.... car now handles pretty solid etc, but part of me still wants the M3. Here's where the internal debating begins -

M3C will cost anywhere between $48-60K to buy. I can probably sell my car for the same price I bought it. That means it'll cost $20-32K to upgrade. Honestly, I could buy a whole other car (convertible) with that money and have some left over. The M3 is basically double the cost. Thats not even including tax as well. The $$ is a hard figure for me to swallow off the bat. Idk if the F80 is worth double my car.

The other factor is that I now live in Houston. The roads here fucking suck. Like constant, aggressive potholes, everything's a grid with stop lights and its flat. Zero twisties, zero hills, and zero well paved roads.

Part of me feels like theres little to no point to pay the $$, to ride an M3 over potholes all day, on uninspiring roads. Like, the M3 will handle better than my car, but where the fuck can I even experience that? If I lived in Cali, then i'd probably feel a-lot more inclined to make the trade. Its honestly not the speed of the m3 that makes it more attractive, but the handling + 4 doors.

But part of me still wants the M3c, or even just a more performance oriented kind of car.

What do you guys think? Given what I explained, do you feel it would be worth it to spend that kind of $$ for the F80? I feel a bit torn and find myself checking out CPO models often.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Given that I live in Houston, had a 328i, then 340i (MPPSK/BM3), and now an M3 Comp (MPE/BM3) I feel like I'm qualified for this

If you can afford it and it isn't going to drastically change how you live your life, absolutely get the M3. There is nothing like a proper M car, period.

As for the roads, I live in town (Rice Military area) and yeah, they definitely suck. It's a pain sometimes, but it doesn't make me want to sell the car. And to be fair, you rarely ever use any kind of performance car on the street, it's just not safe or possible. That being said though, within an hour or two drive of Houston there are all kinds of awesome roads. Especially to the west in the Hill Country.

I've had my car for 18 months and regret absolutely nothing about the purchase. I've wanted an M car ever since I saw my first Laguna Seca Blue E46 back 2001. It's been my favorite purchase to date and I enjoy it every time I get in the seat.

Edit: I would also consider the market right now though. COVID made the car market super weird and prices have kind of shot up a bit. I'd be hesitant to buy any car at the moment with the assumption/expectation that the car I'm buying will probably be worth 5-10% less once the market corrects itself. All cars depreciate obviously, but right now they're artificially inflated a bit. My brother is going through the same thing right now switching from his X5 (50i) to an X5M.
jmg18658.50
      03-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
j3n
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Can't make the decision for you if it's worth the money. Budgets are personal, you have to do what you're comfortable with.

I went from a 2013 335xi to a 2015 M3 back in 2018. The M3 is a totally different car. It's faster, handles better, and is crazy fun to drive. If you want to really get the most out of it, find a local track that does HPDE events and register for one. It'll give you a good environment where you can really have fun in the car and can actually drive it like you're not supposed to on the streets. I'm in KC, our roads get pretty crappy as well, and it's not been much of a difference between the 335 and M3. It's a pretty comfortable car if you put it in comfort mode, but can stiffen up if you want to by putting in Sport(+).

Test drive one, see for yourself, but the M3 is an absolute blast to drive.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
EricVR4
Captain
Rep

I should also point out too that despite me living in the city and having crappy roads all around me, I still drive with everything in Sport+ 24/7. The car is just too fun not to.
      03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Given that I live in Houston, had a 328i, then 340i (MPPSK/BM3), and now an M3 Comp (MPE/BM3) I feel like I'm qualified for this

If you can afford it and it isn't going to drastically change how you live your life, absolutely get the M3. There is nothing like a proper M car, period.

As for the roads, I live in town (Rice Military area) and yeah, they definitely suck. It's a pain sometimes, but it doesn't make me want to sell the car. And to be fair, you rarely ever use any kind of performance car on the street, it's just not safe or possible. That being said though, within an hour or two drive of Houston there are all kinds of awesome roads. Especially to the west in the Hill Country.

I've had my car for 18 months and regret absolutely nothing about the purchase. I've wanted an M car ever since I saw my first Laguna Seca Blue E46 back 2001. It's been my favorite purchase to date and I enjoy it every time I get in the seat.
Appreciate the feedback, especially from someone in H town. The $$ wouldnt be a huge issue, but I guess at these numbers i'd be debating getting a 3rd car as a convertible. I need to drive the m3 again, last I drove one was an M4 convertible pre-lci, and my biggest takeway was how jumpy the dct was. I know the lci m3c is a big improvement.

But while I have you, dude WTF is up with these roads?!? Lol, I moved here from the northeast and ive never seen (or felt) anything like it, on such a consistent basis. I constantly feel like im gonna bend a rim lol. The food here is amazing though.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      03-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
EricVR4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Appreciate the feedback, especially from someone in H town. The $$ wouldnt be a huge issue, but I guess at these numbers i'd be debating getting a 3rd car as a convertible. I need to drive the m3 again, last I drove one was an M4 convertible pre-lci, and my biggest takeway was how jumpy the dct was. I know the lci m3c is a big improvement.

But while I have you, dude WTF is up with these roads?!? Lol, I moved here from the northeast and ive never seen (or felt) anything like it, on such a consistent basis. I constantly feel like im gonna bend a rim lol. The food here is amazing though.

The city of Houston is usually about a decade behind on any kind of road improvement or upgrade unfortunately. We have very soft ground thanks to a ton of rain every year, and just a ton of traffic, so it seems to be unavoidable.

Food is incredible for sure!

The DCT definitely takes some getting used to, especially with the engine/throttle in Sport+. The throttle is super twitchy. Getting the GTS transmission flash helps though. The extra clamping force for the clutches makes it a little less jumpy, but to be honest that's also just how the DCT is. These cars are noisy, jerky, rough, and loud. It's all part of the experience to me

With my Comp, I've coded: GTS transmission, CS steering, CS rear diff, and Euro MDM along with the BM3 Stage 1 OTS tune and the car is night and day different from the regular Competition settings. I also just recently put on some Richland Forged GT4 wheels in 20x9.5/20x10.5 with 265/295 tires and the car is an absolute blast to drive.
      03-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The city of Houston is usually about a decade behind on any kind of road improvement or upgrade unfortunately. We have very soft ground thanks to a ton of rain every year, and just a ton of traffic, so it seems to be unavoidable.

Food is incredible for sure!

The DCT definitely takes some getting used to, especially with the engine/throttle in Sport+. The throttle is super twitchy. Getting the GTS transmission flash helps though. The extra clamping force for the clutches makes it a little less jumpy, but to be honest that's also just how the DCT is. These cars are noisy, jerky, rough, and loud. It's all part of the experience to me

With my Comp, I've coded: GTS transmission, CS steering, CS rear diff, and Euro MDM along with the BM3 Stage 1 OTS tune and the car is night and day different from the regular Competition settings. I also just recently put on some Richland Forged GT4 wheels in 20x9.5/20x10.5 with 265/295 tires and the car is an absolute blast to drive.
Sounds like a blast to drive. Really is such a great looking and performing car. Nice build man
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      03-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
EricVR4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a blast to drive. Really is such a great looking and performing car. Nice build man
Thanks!

What part of Houston are you in? My friend just traded in his 2018 M3 Comp for a G80 Comp at BMW of the Woodlands. Might be worth checking their inventory to see if it's there and what the price is. His was really clean and completely stock.
      03-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

What part of Houston are you in? My friend just traded in his 2018 M3 Comp for a G80 Comp at BMW of the Woodlands. Might be worth checking their inventory to see if it's there and what the price is. His was really clean and completely stock.
Interesting, that's good to know. Im in the upper kirby area and was going to the midtown BMW until my wife downloaded the citizen app and we saw like 3 shootings in 5 days 2 streets up from it LOL. So may be looking for a new service dealer as well now
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #10
EricVR4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, that's good to know. Im in the upper kirby area and was going to the midtown BMW until my wife downloaded the citizen app and we saw like 3 shootings in 5 days 2 streets up from it LOL. So may be looking for a new service dealer as well now
I bought my 340i from Midtown and use them for service and it's honestly fine. It's in a crappy part of town thanks to a bus station and a homeless camp but you won't be bothered by any of it at the dealership.

I've also leased and bought from BMW of North Houston (way up 45, but before the Woodlands dealership), as well as used them for service.

Those are my only 2 experiences as far as Houston BMW dealerships go. There's a few others but I haven't ever needed to try them.

I'm in the Upper Kirby area fairly regularly too so if you see a Mineral White 2018 M3 with 763M-looking wheels and M performance crap all over, that's me
      03-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I bought my 340i from Midtown and use them for service and it's honestly fine. It's in a crappy part of town thanks to a bus station and a homeless camp but you won't be bothered by any of it at the dealership.

I've also leased and bought from BMW of North Houston (way up 45, but before the Woodlands dealership), as well as used them for service.

Those are my only 2 experiences as far as Houston BMW dealerships go. There's a few others but I haven't ever needed to try them.
Got ya. Yeah ill probably go back to midtown tbh, wifes just being paranoid haha. Appreciate the info bro, and lets go UofH tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      03-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Adding my 2 cents here.

I am from CA, although more twisties/hills around here, it's hard to find the time to enjoy. Just need to hit the on ramp curve at times to give myself a big smile =)

I recently just bought out my lease F80 M3 comp, I was debating this over the current M340i. Not sure if you have the new M340i or the F30. The F80 honestly sometimes is a bit rough/loud for me. I think it could be worn tires but it did get to me a little bit. However, driving it back to back, it's really no comparison that the F80 is much more solid and the chassis/handling is significantly better (so I bought it out).

Nothing beats a proper test drive =) If you can afford it and is ok with things being louder/rough, definitely go for it. Even though it does cost more, it holds its value better, and from what I hear the F80 has been pretty reliable.

Also, DCT is something quite different, I have that, and before transmission flash it can get quite jerky. If I were to do it again, I probably will choose manual (if that's even your consideration).
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

If the money isn't a big issue and you are just considering buying a third car (convertible) versus one M3, I would say it's better to have one car you love than two cars that you're content with. As others have said, it would be worth taking a longer test drive to see if you truly love the M3. It will be exciting to drive at first but you'll have to decide if that excitement will wear off and whether it is worth it. I personally have no regrets spending more for the M3, but it was mainly because I wanted a car that could take occasional track days with 4 doors.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-26-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
HPD15M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:

Edit: I would also consider the market right now though. COVID made the car market super weird and prices have kind of shot up a bit. I'd be hesitant to buy any car at the moment with the assumption/expectation that the car I'm buying will probably be worth 5-10% less once the market corrects itself. All cars depreciate obviously, but right now they're artificially inflated a bit. My brother is going through the same thing right now switching from his X5 (50i) to an X5M.
I’m in the Rice Military area also. Right off of Shepherd and Memorial. I think I might have seen your car in the Heights. I’ve seen a few F80s around the area but most didn’t appear to be enthusiast owned.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      03-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
EricVR4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPD15M3 View Post
Quote:

I’m in the Rice Military area also. Right off of Shepherd and Memorial. I think I might have seen your car in the Heights. I’ve seen a few F80s around the area but most didn’t appear to be enthusiast owned.
Oh cool, not far from me at all. I'm in the Heights a lot (around Yale/11th) because my gym is over there so that was probably me.

I take Memorial to Shepherd to Allen Parkway a lot too because it's the quickest way to get to my girlfriend's. Give me a honk next time you see me
      03-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #16
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Besides the higher price to buy - insurance will be MUCH higher and maintenance etc.

Cars are a personal decision and not based usually on rational thinking. If you really want an M3 and you can comfortably afford it then you will definitely enjoy it more than the 340i. There is nothing that 340i does that is better than M3.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #17
HPD15M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Oh cool, not far from me at all. I'm in the Heights a lot (around Yale/11th) because my gym is over there so that was probably me.

I take Memorial to Shepherd to Allen Parkway a lot too because it's the quickest way to get to my girlfriend's. Give me a honk next time you see me
My fiancé runs the CareNow urgent care on Yale/11th so I’m over there a lot too. Definitely will be looking out for you from now on.
Appreciate 2
AllaVodka634.00
EricVR4603.50
      03-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #18
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
AllaVodka if budget is allowed go with the last year of F80 ZCP since MFG fine tuned this vehicle.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #19
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Thanks!

Broken nose aside, how is your friend liking the G80 compared to the F80?

Thinking about doing the switch myself from my F82 to a G82, although I might get the xDrive version, living in Colorado.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #20
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Yeah you're probably barely even pushing your 340i on those roads, but maybe you can do some roadtrips, or try some trackdays to put the M3 to use?

Can't say my M4 feels drastically different to my old E92 335i for regular driving, but when I get it on some twisty back roads and the track where I can push it, it's a definite step up in terms of fun.
It's not just the power that makes it so fun vs something like a 340i, but the agility of the chassis and the responsiveness.

There's also the fact an M generally depreciates less, so the cost of ownership may be similar or even less. So it might not be such a bad financial decision in the long term.
At least, that's how I justified my purchase lol.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      03-28-2021, 01:12 AM   #21
Gimlitehdwarf
I wish Tires were cheaper
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2015 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had a 335i 2013 f30 before my m3 and what a huge difference. Just remember it's more than just paying more for the car, it's more insurance, gas, and I go through 2 sets of rears a year and these tires aren't cheap.

If you don't mind the extra cost do it!

2015 Black on Black M3 - Palm Desert, CA
I wish Tires were cheaper!
Appreciate 2
AllaVodka634.00
zamboni1127.50
      03-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #22
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I've done it. I had an M2 then a 18 340i and now the 17 M3 Comp. The 340i was fun as it had the m pack 2 upgrade and it was a 6MT but like the comments above there is nothing like a proper M car and the original M2 wasn't even that. Hands down the M3 all day every day. It's worth it and you can see and feel the difference every time you drive. I really liked my 340i but I love my M3 - big difference.
Appreciate 1