ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
freeguac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CS

M3 CS steering wheel slightly jittery/shaky

I have a M3CS (no lane keep assist) at around 1000 miles. I notice at highway speeds, the steering wheel could be jittery/shaky. The best way to describe is most like jittery than periodic (left-right) shaking. It does come and go depending on the road surface.

It doesn't seem consistent as unbalanced wheels where the shaking is magnified at a certain speed. And when it was shaking the most, it's like maybe 1/2 inch left/right.

Overall, it feels the very first degrees of steering wheel rotation is very sensitive at any speed.

Is this normal for an M3? Is this the road feel I am supposed to get? I don't have a lot of experience with performance cars. My GTI's steering wheel is fairly stable for comparison.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

No, not normal.

Some people have had factory alignment issues with their CS. That would be the first and easiest thing I'd check.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
freeguac
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did have an alignment issue at 800mi and the shaking seems to start showing after the alignment. The alignment is definitely better now.

anything I should ask the dealership to check? I am going in for 1200 mi break-in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
No, not normal.

Some people have had factory alignment issues with their CS. That would be the first and easiest thing I'd check.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeguac View Post
I did have an alignment issue at 800mi and the shaking seems to start showing after the alignment. The alignment is definitely better now.

anything I should ask the dealership to check? I am going in for 1200 mi break-in service.
Let them know what's going on. Do you have your report from the alignment.

I've heard some people have issues with the knuckle from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
freeguac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I am letting them know.

quick question, for your CS model, does the steering wheel stay stationary on freeway? Or you could still have some movement. The car does seem to be very sensitive to unevenness of road even at slow speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeguac View Post
Thanks. I am letting them know.

quick question, for your CS model, does the steering wheel stay stationary on freeway? Or you could still have some movement. The car does seem to be very sensitive to unevenness of road even at slow speed.
Nope, straight as an arrow. Definitely sounds like your alignment is at play here.
Appreciate 1