ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #89
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Why aren't they compatible?

OEM springs/OEM dampers: compatible
MP HAS/OEM dampers: compatible
OEM springs/B6 damptronics: compatible
MP HAS/B6 Damptronics: NOT compatible??
Bilstein doesn't have press fit spring perches and instead they're welded to the strut body, so to use MPHAS you'd have to cut off the spring perch in order to get the MPHAS collar/perch on. Then you'd have to deal with a likely strut body OD difference as spidy512 mentioned.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
ntg442887.50
      09-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #90
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I just tried to purchase them but was told they're out of stock until January.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #91
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
I just tried to purchase them but was told they're out of stock until January.
We have our version in stock. Will make a post about them shortly but they have more difference between the comfort and sport plus settings than Bilstein standard B6 Damptronic.

Appreciate 1
ONEof500165.00
      08-24-2023, 03:11 PM   #92
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I just had these installed on my car a couple of weeks ago and they're amazing. They did raise the car up slightly so I went from Eibach V1 springs to Eibach V2's. Just know that if you do get these shocks, you'll need to account for the added ride height. The v2's with the new shocks are a little higher than my v1's but the ride is outstanding, the handling is very flat and there is a distinct difference between each of the EDC modes. These are a huge upgrade but if you like a more lowered look, you need to go beyond the Eibach's.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:15 PM   #93
adamf2001
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, BMW 320d, Saab Aero

With EDC dampers e.g. Damptronic do they adjust or calibrate to the height of the spring? If you have B6 Dampers and want a lower spring, rather than the lower spring putting the damper under constant strain and shortening it's life can the default position of EDC be calibrated (or is the only option to go for B8's). Reason I ask is there is not much information on this topic other than one video from a guy in Poland I think who mentions his EDC dampers being calibrated to his new lower springs (F30 BMW I think).

Need to be careful lowering xDrives because of the front axel, mine is a F30 335d xDrive and I'd like to pair it with the B6 Damptronics and Eibach springs in the future when I have the money to burn!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #94
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf2001 View Post
With EDC dampers e.g. Damptronic do they adjust or calibrate to the height of the spring? If you have B6 Dampers and want a lower spring, rather than the lower spring putting the damper under constant strain and shortening it's life can the default position of EDC be calibrated (or is the only option to go for B8's). Reason I ask is there is not much information on this topic other than one video from a guy in Poland I think who mentions his EDC dampers being calibrated to his new lower springs (F30 BMW I think).

Need to be careful lowering xDrives because of the front axel, mine is a F30 335d xDrive and I'd like to pair it with the B6 Damptronics and Eibach springs in the future when I have the money to burn!
My understanding of Bilstein product line is B6 is meant to be run with stock springs whereas B8 are designed to run with lowering springs.

B6 and B8 are identical performance wise but the B8 has different dimensions to accommodate a lower height spring.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:02 AM   #95
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Best of luck finding those BMW special tools. Most DIYs don't have a full blown $10k specialized tool supply like the one in this video, quite misleading.

Running the impact driver for a couple seconds probably won't do anything to the shock, these are hardened steel shafts and can take a lot of abuse.
The real issue is that the impact driver can over torque if you're not careful,
so I recommend using it only to loosen the nut and then you can use an open ended socket with a combo wrench to tighten the new nut.

Here are the sockets I used:

for the factory top nut:
Schwaben 003046SCH01A-01 Strut Nut Socket (18Mm)

for the bilstein replacement top nut (it's bigger than the factory
nut).
Schwaben 22mm Strut Nut Socket 1/2" drive
Part #: PEL-003046SCH01A-04
Just as a note:
There is no reason to go and buy a special socket. You can use your regular socket kit. You just use a long socket for the top nut, put a thin extender through it, put on a 10mm socket on that. Then put everything on the strut and hold the long socket with a vise or whatever fits, then turn it and hold the extender with the 10mm socket still on the shock with a small ratchet. Done.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 03:50 PM   #96
adamf2001
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, BMW 320d, Saab Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
My understanding of Bilstein product line is B6 is meant to be run with stock springs whereas B8 are designed to run with lowering springs.

B6 and B8 are identical performance wise but the B8 has different dimensions to accommodate a lower height spring.
Understood thank you - the confusion comes with the "lowering spring" because the Eibach or ACS springs are meant to be compatible with stock dampers so it's only a mild drop - I think these would suit the B6's. For those who want to go even lower e.g. H&R springs then the B8's would be the way to go from what I can tell
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:42 AM   #97
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf2001 View Post

No. Bilstein Damptronic dampers do not know the ride height/lowering from a spring. An electronic damper is the same as a conventional damper - a valve stack is moved thru hydraulic fluid and a pressure differential is created on the two sides of the valve stack (i.e., a force) - except that the electronic damper valving can be adjusted in milliseconds in real time to alter the magnitude of the force. The damper is not under constant strain with a lowering spring; instead, the starting point of the valve stack on the piston rod is at a different starting point with reduced compression travel, increased rebound travel. There’s no strain because a damper develops a force based on the magnitude of the velocity of the piston rod relative to the external body of the damper so no relative velocity means no force = no strain. Using a lowering spring has little effect on damper life as long as the spring rate is +/- ~100 lbf/in stiffer/softer than the original spring rate.

Stock EDC dampers can be recalibrated. EDC has a compensation code (voltage bias) to account for the loss of damping performance over time and it adjusts the valving to increase the damping force so it feels like there is no loss in performance over time. This must be reset every time EDC dampers are changed otherwise the damping will be too high because the control unit thinks it is an old damper still.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:00 AM   #98
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
No. Bilstein Damptronic dampers do not know the ride height/lowering from a spring. An electronic damper is the same as a conventional damper - a valve stack is moved thru hydraulic fluid and a pressure differential is created on the two sides of the valve stack (i.e., a force) - except that the electronic damper valving can be adjusted in milliseconds in real time to alter the magnitude of the force. The damper is not under constant strain with a lowering spring; instead, the starting point of the valve stack on the piston rod is at a different starting point with reduced compression travel, increased rebound travel. There’s no strain because a damper develops a force based on the magnitude of the velocity of the piston rod relative to the external body of the damper so no relative velocity means no force = no strain. Using a lowering spring has little effect on damper life as long as the spring rate is +/- ~100 lbf/in stiffer/softer than the original spring rate.

Stock EDC dampers can be recalibrated. EDC has a compensation code (voltage bias) to account for the loss of damping performance over time and it adjusts the valving to increase the damping force so it feels like there is no loss in performance over time. This must be reset every time EDC dampers are changed otherwise the damping will be too high because the control unit thinks it is an old damper still.
You obviously know more about this than me, but I think part of confusion may be around the fact that, IIRC, the EDC calibration routine within ISTA (can't remember if that is the specific title of it) does involve inputting measurements of the ride height front and rear (When I had stock EDC I remember playing around in ISTA for fun and came across that, and am pretty positive you have to give it those measurements. Though perhaps that is more for calibration of the vertical acceleration sensor specifically...)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:22 AM   #99
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
You obviously know more about this than me, but I think part of confusion may be around the fact that, IIRC, the EDC calibration routine within ISTA (can't remember if that is the specific title of it) does involve inputting measurements of the ride height front and rear (When I had stock EDC I remember playing around in ISTA for fun and came across that, and am pretty positive you have to give it those measurements. Though perhaps that is more for calibration of the vertical acceleration sensor specifically...)
You’re correct. For OEM/stock dampers ONLY, yes, you can input measurements for ride height but that only applies to OEM dampers. BMW doesn’t know how an aftermarket has setup its droop travel and total travel so this ride height recalibration won’t work for aftermarket dampers. However, with/without OEM dampers, this calibration does not alter the damping performance in anyway. EDC and non-EDC dampers work the same way to develop force and it doesn’t change with the relative starting position of the valve stack on the piston rod.

I wonder if BMW does this to protect the valve stack? With the new valve stack location estimated, it could then estimate the max damped displacement due to an input from its control transfer function and estimate whether it’s sufficient for the valve stack to run out of travel (i.e., make contact). If it is then go to max damping to prevent/minimoze contact from occurring.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 02-11-2024 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0