ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-01-2022, 10:39 PM   #1
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my brake setup on my 2016 M4.

I'm currently running OEM rotors with Akebono pads as I wanted low to no dust. I've been doing more tracking and the Akebono pads don't cut it and don't have a dedicate track pad setup and would like something that I can keep on all the time if possible that would also perform well at the track. I'm not a track monster, but want to make sure my car can handle the beating on the streets and on the track.

I'm going to need new rotors soon, so figured if I was going to do do pads again, I mine as well upgrade my rotors as well.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5M View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently running OEM rotors with Akebono pads as I wanted low to no dust. I've been doing more tracking and the Akebono pads don't cut it and don't have a dedicate track pad setup and would like something that I can keep on all the time if possible that would also perform well at the track. I'm not a track monster, but want to make sure my car can handle the beating on the streets and on the track.

I'm going to need new rotors soon, so figured if I was going to do do pads again, I mine as well upgrade my rotors as well.

TIA.
I'm not sure on the pads, but I know a lot of people rave about the GiroDisc rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

TIA.
I'm not sure on the pads, but I know a lot of people rave about the GiroDisc rotors
I was thinking about those, but not sure if they work with factory calipers. Do you know?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #4
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

TIA.
I was thinking about those, but not sure if they work with factory calipers. Do you know?
https://girodisc.com/bmw-f8x-m2-m3-m...-front-rotors/

These are for the OEM Blue brakes
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #5
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

TIA.
https://girodisc.com/bmw-f8x-m2-m3-m...-front-rotors/

These are for the OEM Blue brakes
Thank you! I did look at those and was waiting to pull the trigger. Now to find some good pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

I'd highly suggest you buy dedicated track pads. There isn't a great option for a dual street/track pad and you would be leaving a lot on the table on both ends. Swapping pads on these cars is extremely quick and easy. It takes maybe 15 minutes or less for me to swap from street to track pads.

I have the Akebono ceramic pads for street driving because they have zero brake dust, but I can easily fade and overheat them in one hard stop coming off a highway offramp down to a stop light. I can't imagine how terrible the Akebono pads would be on a race track for any skill level person driving even at a slow to moderate pace.

I think Girodisc rotors would be great, but you most likely wouldn't see much benefit from them if aren't using a real track pad or not getting on the brakes super hard. Not sure it would justify the extreme cost of them versus just getting new OEM rotors and some Performance Friction 11 compound pads for the occasional track day.
Appreciate 1
Fred E13.50
      08-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Fred E
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I'd highly suggest you buy dedicated track pads. There isn't a great option for a dual street/track pad and you would be leaving a lot on the table on both ends. Swapping pads on these cars is extremely quick and easy. It takes maybe 15 minutes or less for me to swap from street to track pads.

I have the Akebono ceramic pads for street driving because they have zero brake dust, but I can easily fade and overheat them in one hard stop coming off a highway offramp down to a stop light. I can't imagine how terrible the Akebono pads would be on a race track for any skill level person driving even at a slow to moderate pace.

I think Girodisc rotors would be great, but you most likely wouldn't see much benefit from them if aren't using a real track pad or not getting on the brakes super hard. Not sure it would justify the extreme cost of them versus just getting new OEM rotors and some Performance Friction 11 compound pads for the occasional track day.
I second this; a dual duty pad will be good at neither. DS2500s come close, but they're dusty on the street and will fade rather quickly on the track if you're driving any faster than a beginner pace. PFC 08 or 11 would be ideal for the occasional track day and money well spent instead of upgraded rotors. You could even use the saved rotor money to have a shop swap the pads back and forth for you; it wouldn't be any more than an hour of labor each time.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
What's the benefits of going to Girodisc over OEM? I've found OEM actually to be the cheapest option.
Appreciate 0