proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & F80 LCI

DIY - F80 Leather Dash and HUD retrofit

I have a “basic spec” 2017 LCI F80, MT and EDC.

When I first looked at F80s, I wanted all the options, exec package, all possible electronics and gizmos available. Then my wife kindly reminded that I’m always working on German cars’ electronics.

Adding my own car problems to the list to fix wouldn’t be good. I didn’t listen to her and kept looking for a fully optioned F80, but I got a good deal on a basic car as I gave up finding an LCI Ferrari red F80.

Did work on several F8x and always liked the leather dash. Found a pristine leather dash w/HUD for sale, bought it and went down the rabbit hole.

Here’s a quick summary of my leather dash and HUD retrofit experience. Refer to the PDF guide attached.

Parts needed:
- Leather dash with HUD
- Leather glovebox
- Trim, Leather Center Stack - Bottom - Part# 51458071513. This one has the front USB
- Head-up display - Part# 62306819695 or compatible part. Check ETK
- HUD <-> instrument cluster cable. Sourced from Lithuania. Check pics for details
- Trim piece for head-up display - Part# 51459239336
- Sound insulation, head-up display - Part# 62309236820
- Combi oval-head machine screw - Part# 11119143167 - Qty. 3
- A-pilar clamp - Part# 07147142116 - Qty. 2
- Sensor rain/light/solar/fogging over HUD - Part# 61359475146
- HUD windshield - S610 option. Check compatible part# on ETK based on car options (S5AD, S5AS, S8TH).
- JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape [1mm thickness felt]: 3/4 in. x 75 ft. (Black) - Amazon
- Super Lube-21030 Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, 3 Oz. or Gummi Pflege - Amazon
- Cable tie for eBrake boot.

Add-ons
- Install the Euro light switch with front and rear fog buttons. Coding required for both options. Front foglight works with LED headlights. Rear foglight works with all types of headlights.
- Install a SLI emulator. Useful if you go out of town and you’re not familiar with the area speed limits.
- Re-route centre console 2nd USB to glovebox if you have the useless OEM wireless charging cradle (6NW, 6WD SA option). I disconnected the center console cradle.
- Install a fast wireless charger behind the cup holders.

Tools needed:
- Trim removal kit
- Torx 20, torx 27, torx 30, 10mm deep socket, 7mm socket, 16mm impact socket
- 1/4 inch ratchet, 3/8 inch ratchet with extensions
- Impact driver
- Scissors
- Gloves
- Beach towels or sheets to protect parts and pieces from scratches and to cover front and rear seats.
- Long nose pliers
- Small flat head screwdrivers. 2mm and 1mm. They come handy to release plugs

Approximate time from start to finish:
Total 12-15 hours
Dash and parts removal took 4-5 hours. Took pictures of where screws came from, how cables were originally routed, clips, plugs and anything that I might need to look back to reasemble.

Leather dash took 6-8 hours to install.
You have to be extra careful to not to scratch the dash and other parts. I also added felt tape to anything that was plastic on plastic, added synthetic grease to parts known to rattle, wrapped some wires with felt tape and used felt tape on anything that might rattle. Check the DIY on interior rattle fix.

Coding, programming and navigation/map update took about 1-2 hours.
Started the retrofit on Black Friday and finished Sunday. Work done from noon until dark each day.

Quick notes on the guide:
- Disconnect battery. Put a rag over the trunk latch to prevent from locking in case the trunk is accidentally closed.
- Before turning off the car, make sure the steering wheel is centered, all the way out, and downwards towards the seat.
- Move the seats towards the back and keep them upright.
- Remove A-pillar clamp - page 4, clamp (3) and replace it with a new one. It’s supposed to be a one time use clamp.
- Steering wheel airbag removal is easy. It takes a couple of tries to unlock each side. Pull gently.
- Remove steering wheel bolt using an impact driver -page 9, bolt (2) 16mm socket. Don’t overdo-it, 1-2 gentle ugga-duggas will suffice.
- Unclipping the steering column shroud is a biatch. Grab the top part wearing gloves for extra grip and pull upwards.
- The steering column switch cluster has four 7mm screws - page 12 (2). Be gentle when reinstalling and don’t overtighten any screws.
- Instead prying the start/stop switch, push it from the back - page 16.
- Be extra careful when removing the rear centre console cover - page 24. I broke the plug for the 2-pin centre console light. Pry it open using a small flathead screwdriver.
- Use a tort 27 to remove the passenger side side panel underneath the glove box - page 26. Tap around and check for rattles. The footwell light does rattle.
- When disconnecting the knee airbags -page 30, unlock the plug using a small flathead - page 31-32.
- You don’t need to replace the instrument panel support beam.
- Once the old dashboard is out, remove the passenger side airbag and check for clips you might need to transfer to the new dash.
- When you install the HUD on the existing instrument panel support beam - page 54 (3), one of the bolts will be really hard to reach - right side, close to windshield. I used 2 bolts/nuts and called it a day.
- Connect the red/yellow HUD <-> instrument cluster cable to PIN 10 on connector A71*1B. 12 PIN connector - Page 56-57. No extra connection to FEM required.
- Follow the screwing sequence to install the glovebox - page 38.
- Transfer the glovebox handle opener.
- Use a leather cleaner and conditioner before installing the leather dash.
- Clear all DTCs when done.

Final thoughts:
My goal was to add the leather dash. Looks great!

HUD was lagniappe. M view on HUD is way too big for regular driving, but will come handy at the track.
HUD with regular windshield works fine at night and shows a vertically displayed double image. The image looks fine and doesn’t bother me. I can barely see during daytime as RLS is not installed yet.

Windshield has ExoShield installed. This was part of a full front and roof PPF installation. Not sure if I will replace the windshield with a HUD compatible one.

PS. Your wife will nag you regardless of whatever you do before, during and after the job is complete. I procrastinated for 3-4 months to do this project as it would be time consuming.
Having a sarcophagus -as she called the dashboard box- the size of an NBA player in my office room annoyed her. Then she got annoyed because I wasn’t available on day 1-3 to do fill-in-the-blank. The she complained it took me 3 full afternoons to do it.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY - BMW F80 leather dash and HUD retrofit.pdf (5.95 MB, 364 views)
Appreciate 14
Pqbrown52.50
smm310.50
hC1001591.00
jfritz271100.50
9M711232.50
mapster37354.00
fabje18.50
RKP114.00
      12-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #2
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow, impressive swap!
More DIYs please and bless you.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Nice write Up
      12-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
beezyM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

could this retro fit be done to a m2 comp?
      12-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcode View Post
- Install the Euro light switch with front and rear fog buttons. Coding required for both options. Front foglight works with LED headlights.

Wait, can you clarify what this actually turns on since we don't have actual front foglights?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Holy hell this is a big'un.... great work. Great resource for anyone else thinking about attempting this.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:37 AM   #7
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Where did you fine a pristine used leather dash? eBay or junkyard? and how much did you pay for it?

You saved yourself like 2 or 3 thousand in labor doing the swap yourself. impressive
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very impressive.

You have tons more patience than I do. I thought about this and now seeing it done, not for me. I will live with my stock dash. HAHA.

josh
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Wait, can you clarify what this actually turns on since we don't have actual front foglights?
Check this thread

It is a really nice feature.
Appreciate 1
Tangent296.00
      12-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #10
thanhsayz
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Thanks for posting this. I have an extra dash and a hud in the garage now. I'm still new to bmw and trying to figure out this coding stuff so I can enable the hud to work with my 2015 base.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:59 AM   #11
beezyM2C
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezyM2C View Post
Quote:
Bump
      01-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #12
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Bump
To make sure we are on the same page and I understood correctly your question. I presume:

- You have an F87 M2C.
- You want to retrofit an F80 leather dash to your F87.

If the above is correct, the 1st thing to do is to measure width on both dashboards.
Other things to consider are A/C ducts, F87 cluster fitting in the F80 dash, passenger side airbag and center console lining up to M2C.

I still have the non leather dash at the house. Let me know if you need some measurements taken.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #13
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Impressive work!!! And especially for taking the time to document this. Kudos.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 11:50 PM   #14
beezyM2C
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bump
To make sure we are on the same page and I understood correctly your question. I presume:

- You have an F87 M2C.
- You want to retrofit an F80 leather dash to your F87.

If the above is correct, the 1st thing to do is to measure width on both dashboards.
Other things to consider are A/C ducts, F87 cluster fitting in the F80 dash, passenger side airbag and center console lining up to M2C.

I still have the non leather dash at the house. Let me know if you need some measurements taken.
Yes sir was just wondering if anyone had attempted it. Also didn't some of the f22,f30 etc have HUD. That's what I'm wanting. And thef22/30 clusters I've seen that have HUD look pretty similar to f87. IMHO F87 LCI looks better than any m3/4 cluster also

Also no I don't even want leather per se my whole entire is custom already pretty much

TIA for any info
      01-07-2022, 11:29 PM   #15
RKP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS (F80)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Awesome work OP! I just listed a full merino dashboard for sale if any one is interested is taking on this retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #16
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

impressive DIY and great write up.

what lights are activated when you turn on front/rear fog lights with euro switch? i have 16 f80 with LED headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #17
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Awesome work OP! I just listed a full merino dashboard for sale if any one is interested is taking on this retrofit
Do you have the front door cards?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #18
RKP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS (F80)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have the front door cards?
I actually do! They are full leather (front + rear) and have some nicks here and there - which should be easily repairable from an leather repair expert
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #19
DailyMsportF31
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

Quote:
I actually do! They are full leather (front + rear) and have some nicks here and there - which should be easily repairable from an leather repair expert
Can you PM me pics of the dash and door cards, and price? Where are you located?

OP Dash looks fantastic. Guessing this was the one on eBay in Michigan from back in December. Thought about it for a few days went back to buy and it was gone. Figured this was a niche market who would consider this swap.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:55 AM   #20
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

I just did this swap - this DIY was a profound help throughout.

I do have one rattle, from the right front of the dash. I securely fastened everything, so a little perturbed it's there. If I hold my hand over the right part of the dash while driving it goes away, it sounds like something is contacting something else or is loose that wasn't before. Not sure how I'm going to dx/fix.

A few notes/tips to anyone who wants to do this:

It is possible to nut and bolt all 3 HUD mounting points, but the one closest to the windshield requires... er... custom tooling (I heated and bent a wrench into an S shape to hold the nut from below).

Coding is straightforward, VO code option 610 to HU_NBT and KOMBI with E-sys or similar and ready to rock and roll. Rain sensor cannot be overlooked! It's necessary for proper HUD dimming.

If possible, I'd recommend getting a complete HUD to cluster harness if possible. I had to do the wiring on mine (connecting two separate cut harnesses from two different eBay sellers) and it was a PITA because of how the harness is composed (braided shielding, hard to strip, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #21
neverhadm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordm4 View Post
I just did this swap - this DIY was a profound help throughout.

I do have one rattle, from the right front of the dash. I securely fastened everything, so a little perturbed it's there. If I hold my hand over the right part of the dash while driving it goes away, it sounds like something is contacting something else or is loose that wasn't before. Not sure how I'm going to dx/fix.

A few notes/tips to anyone who wants to do this:

It is possible to nut and bolt all 3 HUD mounting points, but the one closest to the windshield requires... er... custom tooling (I heated and bent a wrench into an S shape to hold the nut from below).

Coding is straightforward, VO code option 610 to HU_NBT and KOMBI with E-sys or similar and ready to rock and roll. Rain sensor cannot be overlooked! It's necessary for proper HUD dimming.

If possible, I'd recommend getting a complete HUD to cluster harness if possible. I had to do the wiring on mine (connecting two separate cut harnesses from two different eBay sellers) and it was a PITA because of how the harness is composed (braided shielding, hard to strip, etc.).

Hey Bro, Thanks for the additional info. I had a similar concern about the harness. did you find anybody that sold it? I can't find it anywhere. Just normal ones. Was trying to figure out if there was like one suited to a retrofit or if I could just use the ones they sell on ebay? Let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #22
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhadm3 View Post
Hey Bro, Thanks for the additional info. I had a similar concern about the harness. did you find anybody that sold it? I can't find it anywhere. Just normal ones. Was trying to figure out if there was like one suited to a retrofit or if I could just use the ones they sell on ebay? Let me know your thoughts.
I couldn't find any intact one secondhand, unfortunately. There is the option of buying the complete harness for that section of the dash, but it's north of $500. Splicing is the easiest way around it, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0