Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-18-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
f80phan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Bad Wheel Bearing

Recently my car has been making a humming noise at acceleration and the higher the speed, the louder it is. The car drives perfectly fine but I'm guessing it's a bad wheel bearing? Every shop that I've gone to has told me that it's weird for it to be going out this early at 63k miles but they suspect it's that so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Ive seen them fail with less mlileage. Dont go just by mileage there are other factors to consider
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #3
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I've had my wheel bearings go bad twice now. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the horrible dealers out here to replace them when I was both under warranty/just out of warranty.

Finally got feed up and had them replaced at an Indy shop…now I'm having the same issue again. Luckily there's a 2 yr warranty on the part so just need to make another appointment.

I'm only at 56k miles. Originally noticed the issue maybe around late 30k early 40k miles.

Wheel bearings go bad on this platform, it's not totally mileage dependent.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

Get your wheel bearings from FCP Euro. Lifetime warranty on every part they sell. Once you purchase your part from FCP Euro, when your part needs replacing, you purchase the replacement and send your old part back to them. They inspect it (confirming it was purchased from them) and then refund your purchase price.
Appreciate 1
phefner366.00
      07-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
f80phan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
I've had my wheel bearings go bad twice now. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the horrible dealers out here to replace them when I was both under warranty/just out of warranty.

Finally got feed up and had them replaced at an Indy shop…now I'm having the same issue again. Luckily there's a 2 yr warranty on the part so just need to make another appointment.

I'm only at 56k miles. Originally noticed the issue maybe around late 30k early 40k miles.

Ahh that's so annoying, at least you have a 2 year warranty on them. Makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one, I thought something was wrong with my car cause every shop that I went to said they don't really do wheel bearings for f8x's cause it doesn't happen.
      07-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80phan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post

Ahh that's so annoying, at least you have a 2 year warranty on them. Makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one, I thought something was wrong with my car cause every shop that I went to said they don't really do wheel bearings for f8x's cause it doesn't happen.
Yeah from what my shop has said and from what I've read it's certainly not uncommon. Slightly odd, to me at least, that those shops aren't at least aware of it but it is what it is.

I'd definitely go the FCP Euro route as markw10702 mentioned. I buy as much as I can from them. Found out about them after I'd already done my bearings but will go through them in the future since I seem to be lucky enough to have this as a recurring issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
f80phan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10702 View Post
Get your wheel bearings from FCP Euro. Lifetime warranty on every part they sell. Once you purchase your part from FCP Euro, when your part needs replacing, you purchase the replacement and send your old part back to them. They inspect it (confirming it was purchased from them) and then refund your purchase price.
Will keep that in mind for next time, I believe the shop I went to got the parts from bmw but if it occurs again I'll for sure do that. Thank you!
      07-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #8
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

@ 115k miles, my front wheel bearings had some play but no noise. I swapped out one side because a lug hole was stripped by someone with an impact gun who didnt thread in the lug bolt b4 tightening.

It was still fine but very loose like it didnt have enough bearing grease. It spun very easily compared to the replacement. Will probably replace the other side soon. Rears probably need replacing as well but thats a much tougher job.
Appreciate 0