Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Best EDC compatible Street Coilover Setup

Hi All,

I've been running on MP-HAS for about two years now (12k miles in total).
My car currently has about 21k miles on it.

Initially, I absolutely loved them. They were MORE comfortable thank stock ZCP ride, I love the stance of the car lowered and they handled better.

In the past two years, I've already blown one rear shock, however, and I have a suspicion one of my fronts is either blown now, or just vastly degraded. In short, I feel like the shocks are degrading with the MP-HAS, which is messing with at least two of the things I loved about the MP-HAS at the outset - comfort and handling.

Buying new shocks every few months is silly.

So, my question is, what does the community recommend for coilovers.
This car is primarily street and family use (I have two young kids). I may get 3-4 track days a year, if I'm lucky. So, I don't want anything too harsh. Frankly, if they handle just a bit better than MP-HAS, don't degrade so quickly, and still ride comfortable, then I'm good.

I also like EDC and would like an EDC compatible setup.

Thoughts please?

Thanks.

Pic for views!
Attached Images

Last edited by RElias21; 07-11-2022 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
f80tanz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Hey Ragi,

I have the B16 Damptronics on my car, have driven with the setup for about 5-6k miles. It is definitely stiffer than stock (I'm coming from base suspension setup), with comfort mode now feeling like sport mode prior. My criteria was pretty much the same as yours, and at that time there were really only a couple of options to retain EDC:

- Bilstein B16 Damptronics
- KW DDC
- lowering springs on OEM shocks/struts

I had KW HAS initially, didn't particularly care for the setup. When I got the B16 Damptronics put on, I had the car coded to CS suspension as well. Car feels like it's riding on rails, super planted (for my needs and driving style at least). If you're looking for something a bit softer, KW DDC seems to have the advantage of a more compliant ride and ability to lower the car more so than the Bilsteins. The trade off is ride quality at the track, and also the fact that the KW setup is more expensive.

I happened to read also that Evolve is now offering a custom valved Bilstein B6 setup that you can use custom springs for (this will retain EDC as well). Since this is brand new, I would reach out to Imran directly for info.

Happy to talk through it with you if you have any questions on my setup. I'm no expert, but I can tell you that there was a noticeable difference in the ability of the car to soak up high speed bumps in particular as compared to the HAS setup.

Hope that helps!

Ram
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      07-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

KW or B16, the KW is more street friendly. B16 is geared more for the track with a stiffer suspension.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks to both of you. KW would be DDC if I want to keep EDC, or are there other KW, EDC compatible options?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
f80tanz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Thanks to both of you. KW would be DDC if I want to keep EDC, or are there other KW, EDC compatible options?
Yes, the only option from KW is KW DDC for a coil over setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

That Macao blue looks like silk in the sunlight. 😎.
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      07-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #7
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Kw ddc is mostly like stock. Very comfy. They can sort of handle the track but you’ll be riding the bump stops with anything more than a street tire.

Bilstien kit is rough but doable. They are a decent novice/intermediate track setup for the money.

I have both kits. Get the kws
Appreciate 2
RElias21562.50
M2RAW121.00
      07-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

I really like the KW DDC kit as well, I would recommend getting a 5mm spacer in the rear. At it’s highest setting I found it a little too tucked and felt the shock wasn’t working in the optimum range. Had the spacers installed and it’s need perfect every since.
I have them installed in a CS
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #9
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc911 View Post
I really like the KW DDC kit as well, I would recommend getting a 5mm spacer in the rear. At it’s highest setting I found it a little too tucked and felt the shock wasn’t working in the optimum range. Had the spacers installed and it’s need perfect every since.
I have them installed in a CS
Your rear wheels are STILL tucked at the highest settings of KW DDC? That would be too much of a drop for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #10
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

MPERFORMANCE kit should last way longer than 12,000 miles were they installed on the car brand-new.

I have 2020 M4 Heritage edition competition package. I had my brand-new mperformance kit installed on my car around 8200 miles.

Two things when you had your MP kit installed.. did you update the I-level step?? The BMW dealership has to do this.. this ensures that your EDC shocks are compatible with that kit..

Also who did the install?? you want to make sure that they installed the kit per BMW recommended ride height to not risk damaging your dampers.

When this is installed on a brand new car you have a 36,000 mile warranty.

From looking at the pictures it seems like the rear ride height is maxed out which is not what Bmw recommends.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #11
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Also is your MPERFORMANCE kit V1? Or V2?

V1 did not have helper spring installed..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
MPERFORMANCE kit should last way longer than 12,000 miles were they installed on the car brand-new.

I have 2020 M4 Heritage edition competition package. I had my brand-new mperformance kit installed on my car around 8200 miles.

Two things when you had your MP kit installed.. did you update the I-level step?? The BMW dealership has to do this.. this ensures that your EDC shocks are compatible with that kit..

Also who did the install?? you want to make sure that they installed the kit per BMW recommended ride height to not risk damaging your dampers.

From looking at the pictures it seems like the rear ride height is maxed out which is not what Bmw recommends.
No, it was not installed at the dealer.

My ride height is no where near maxed out, but it's also not BMW settings. If the ride height is part of the reason why the dampers are failing, then all the more reason why I need to step it up to full coil overs.

I had CS EDC coded, which I figured was sufficient. Regardless, I would never pay the stealership for anything. I would rather put that money toward fill coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #13
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

OP, its a shame that you had trouble with your MP HAS. however, its likely that not having them properly installed led to your shock failures.

The Daily Driven on YT has a comparison video between the B16's, KW DDC, and i believe a spring kit. he said that the KW's were the most comfortable street setup.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      07-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #14
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:

man, that looks great. do you ever go to Cars and Coffee at Dulles Landing? it would be cool to check out your car in person and maybe get a test drive with the MP kit.
Appreciate 2
RElias21562.50
FrozenGT1116.50
      07-13-2022, 12:26 AM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

KW DDC for a street setup, B16 with CS EDC for a stiffer street setup if you have decent roads.

If your roads are bad, do not get B16
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
ntg442888.50
      07-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #16
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

I have the B16D and going through the motions right now.

I assume if you blew your stock shocks your roads aren't kind and I won't recommend the B16D, they are a passable street coil.

The alternative is to get Bilstein B8 shocks and replace your stock shocks with them. The Evolve custom B6 would work too. Though at that point depending how much mileage you drive you'll probably still need to replace/re&re the shocks every few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #17
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Quote:

man, that looks great. do you ever go to Cars and Coffee at Dulles Landing? it would be cool to check out your car in person and maybe get a test drive with the MP kit.
Yes! I do. I have not been this year. However I will be at Katie's this coming Saturday morning
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #18
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Your rear wheels are STILL tucked at the highest settings of KW DDC? That would be too much of a drop for me.
Yes they were tucked at the highest setting until I installed the spacers. W the spacers I’d say they are at about a 1.5 finger gap in the rear
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clutchdj1872.50
      07-20-2022, 11:09 AM   #19
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Evolve/Bilstein just came out with their own B6 damper, although it will not work with your MP HAS

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1936238
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1872.50
      07-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #20
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

I wanted to blurt out "Go with KW DDC!" But then I got to thinking... KW DDC gives you only 3 different preset stiffness settings to toggle between. Do we know exactly which number of 'clicks' that those 3 settings translate to on the non-DDC shocks? I couldn't find anything specific on the KW website indicating exactly what each setting actually is, and their explanation of how it works is kind of vague.

If Sport+ DDC setting is the equivalent to the shocks turned all the way to the hardest/stiffest setting, and sport was set to middle of the range (6 out of 12 clicks) and soft was set to the softest range, then that might be a good compromise. I'm assuming it is not an 'active suspension' that continuously adapts, but rather allowing or restricting oil movement in the shock creating a faster or slower shaft movement.

What if the DDC doesn't allow you to access the full range of the shock and your settings are only slightly different from each other?

I have KW V3 (the non-DDC/EDC variant) and I think they are fantastic for a 95% street car with a track day or two each year. You get 12 clicks of both compression and rebound adjustment (versus only 3 predetermined settings).

My street setting is the factory setting of 6 clicks from hard compression, 9 clicks from hard rebound and it is great for a street cruiser. Anything softer is just way too soft. My Track setting is all the way hard and it's a little stiff on the street but I kinda like it (wife hates it).

On the street, they are so much nicer and feel better than any spring replacement that keeps the OEM shocks. I've had two F8x chassis and I've experienced several suspension setups in good amounts and KW V3 has been my favorite street suspension.

For the track, the KW V3 (and likely the DDC variant) will feel soft even turned all the way to the hardest settings. It is still better than lowering springs or HAS spring setup on stock shocks, but it still leaves you wanting a stiffer suspension for the track. It's still a fun time, just floaty at high speeds.

Sounds like you will have to compromise on track to have the street car/family car/daily driver stiffness that you will use most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:05 AM   #21
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I wanted to blurt out "Go with KW DDC!" But then I got to thinking... KW DDC gives you only 3 different preset stiffness settings to toggle between. Do we know exactly which number of 'clicks' that those 3 settings translate to on the non-DDC shocks? I couldn't find anything specific on the KW website indicating exactly what each setting actually is, and their explanation of how it works is kind of vague.

If Sport+ DDC setting is the equivalent to the shocks turned all the way to the hardest/stiffest setting, and sport was set to middle of the range (6 out of 12 clicks) and soft was set to the softest range, then that might be a good compromise. I'm assuming it is not an 'active suspension' that continuously adapts, but rather allowing or restricting oil movement in the shock creating a faster or slower shaft movement.

What if the DDC doesn't allow you to access the full range of the shock and your settings are only slightly different from each other?

I have KW V3 (the non-DDC/EDC variant) and I think they are fantastic for a 95% street car with a track day or two each year. You get 12 clicks of both compression and rebound adjustment (versus only 3 predetermined settings).

My street setting is the factory setting of 6 clicks from hard compression, 9 clicks from hard rebound and it is great for a street cruiser. Anything softer is just way too soft. My Track setting is all the way hard and it's a little stiff on the street but I kinda like it (wife hates it).

On the street, they are so much nicer and feel better than any spring replacement that keeps the OEM shocks. I've had two F8x chassis and I've experienced several suspension setups in good amounts and KW V3 has been my favorite street suspension.

For the track, the KW V3 (and likely the DDC variant) will feel soft even turned all the way to the hardest settings. It is still better than lowering springs or HAS spring setup on stock shocks, but it still leaves you wanting a stiffer suspension for the track. It's still a fun time, just floaty at high speeds.

Sounds like you will have to compromise on track to have the street car/family car/daily driver stiffness that you will use most of the time.
Thank you very much for this well thought-out response!

I've been to the track once….ever.
My hope and goal is to go more often, but with young kids I know I will be limited to 3 or 4 track days a year, tops, for the foreseeable future.

So, my target really has to be for street driving (considering it's also my dad car and a car we also use as a family), with any added benefit over MPHAS for the track considered a bonus. I think I'm still a long way away from getting the most potential out of the car as a driver, before I start needing to upgrade components for the track anyhow.

My only issue with V3 is that I don't usually like removing features out of a car. I think it would bug me that the EDC button becomes useless. There is also the obvious advantage of pressing a button to switch modes rather than (I assume) at least jacking up the car and de-mounting and remounting wheels?

Regardless, the KW-DDC is way out of my price range (as are most of the parts I want for this car), so I may need to make some compromises.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #22
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

EDC is crap. Just get a quality coilover.

I ended up deleting the EDC and getting Ohlins R/T. Best decision ever. I have them set at 15 clicks and the car is more comfortable and handles better than it ever did stock or with KW HAS.
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
lavon2.00