EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
KW springs are also known to collapse or lose free length over time that can contribute to the lower ride height as well.

A minor deviation in spring length and height isn't going to be an issue at all. Larger deviation will have to take compression and droop travel into consideration.

Does anyone know if the DDC rear dampers are much shorter than OEM?
DDC dampers are the same height as V3's and are shorter than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #24
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Is this issue on f82 as well?
Also is it the same kw v3 for f80 and f82?
Appreciate 1
F80JUL-1.00
      04-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppjev View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Justin.AutoTalent answered this question on my build thread. It involves some factors but he has known me since I had my M4 (3+ years now) and would know what I like so he ordered meatier tires for me.

KW suspension always sit low. I'm almost certain the way DDC comes from factory are the highest they can go. You might be able to change the springs and push them up but I wouldn't recommend doing so as KW didn't design them that way. It's just like shoving aftermarket springs to lower your car on stock suspension. You aren't supposed to change the spring rate on stock suspension, it messes with how the car feels.
KW springs are also known to collapse or lose free length over time that can contribute to the lower ride height as well.

A minor deviation in spring length and height isn't going to be an issue at all. Larger deviation will have to take compression and droop travel into consideration.

Quote:
Quote:
Justin.AutoTalent answered this question on my build thread. It involves some factors but he has known me since I had my M4 (3+ years now) and would know what I like so he ordered meatier tires for me.

KW suspension always sit low. I'm almost certain the way DDC comes from factory are the highest they can go. You might be able to change the springs and push them up but I wouldn't recommend doing so as KW didn't design them that way. It's just like shoving aftermarket springs to lower your car on stock suspension. You aren't supposed to change the spring rate on stock suspension, it messes with how the car feels.

I just talked to KW about my issue. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong if I will use longer spring, 2cm longer, but with the same force. They are sending me such spring next week. Also, spring with higher force would work, but they decided to go this way.

So problem is solved. 120nm/220mm spring will be used, instead of 120/200. Which will solve all the problems.
Hey , did you buy these "longer" springs from KW? Are they available on their web?
Or was is a special request manufacture spring?

How's your rear wheel gap now?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
ppjev
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I just talked to KW about my issue. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong if I will use longer spring, 2cm longer, but with the same force. They are sending me such spring next week. Also, spring with higher force would work, but they decided to go this way.

So problem is solved. 120nm/220mm spring will be used, instead of 120/200. Which will solve all the problems.
Hey , did you buy these "longer" springs from KW? Are they available on their web?

Yes, from KW. I managed to make a deal and exchange the one that came as a bundle to the "higher" ones. They have them in their HAS model I think. Not custom, but they fit "mathematically", so the home system acts as expected with the lower ones.

My gap is perfect to use it with 4 people with no problem. Daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
Machinist
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, from KW. I managed to make a deal and exchange the one that came as a bundle to the "higher" ones. They have them in their HAS model I think. Not custom, but they fit "mathematically", so the home system acts as expected with the lower ones.

Thanks for the quick reply mate!

How is the front rear wheel gap? Are they all the same gap ?

Would you say more or less than a finger?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #28
ppjev
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Front is higher, but I made it so, but it can be lowlowlow ) at the moment, two fingers maybe? Used it during the winter, and we have snow ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
Machinist
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Front is higher, but I made it so, but it can be lowlowlow ) at the moment, two fingers maybe? Used it during the winter, and we have snow ...
Very nice! I would need to check with KW on the longer rear springs

Currently my rear fenders are covering the rear tyres and that is the highest I can go.

Makes the car look really weird
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

I understand the drop is .8 to 1.8 front and 1 to 2 inches rear.
1 inch minimal drop in rear seems too much.
Not sure why the they'd have less minimal front drop.
To maintain balance it should have been. 8 rear too
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
Machinist
Private
Rep

Yes I totally agree! Now I'm just waiting for KW to reply
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #32
ppjev
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
I understand the drop is .8 to 1.8 front and 1 to 2 inches rear.
1 inch minimal drop in rear seems too much.
Not sure why the they'd have less minimal front drop.
To maintain balance it should have been. 8 rear too
I can go lower with my front. Just in case.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #33
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Why do you bought a KW coilover kit if you don't want to lower your car? The kits always do a nice drop ...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:05 AM   #34
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 x-drive

This is what you need if you're too low with KW.
Attached Images

09-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #35
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
Link?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #36
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Quote:
Link?
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/kw-sus...-65030046.html
      09-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #37
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Link?
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-65030045.html
ptper589.00
      09-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #38
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

fyi, I emailed KW for their recommendation spring or spacer. Will post up what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

fyi, I emailed KW for their recommendation spring or spacer. Will post up what I find out.
I've used it on my E93 with KW and my 435d with KW. Does the job.
FreeDarko217.00
      09-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #40
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just got my KW DDC for my M4 after waiting 3,5 months for it.

I ordered the small spacers for the rear because I read here that rear was too low. Don't know if they have made other springs but it's not too low at the highest setting at all. Guess I'm driving at half the tread (lowering) the rear.

Car was a nightmare to drive with M Performance suspension, bouncing all over.
Now it's like a go-cart, 1000 times better than before.
      09-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #41
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:

I ordered the small spacers for the rear because I read here that rear was too low. Don't know if they have made other springs but it's not too low at the highest setting at all. Guess I'm driving at half the tread (lowering) the rear.

And how is the ride quality with the KW DDC in comfort on bad roads?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #42
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

KW got back to me...they want me to fill out a checklist/tech sheet with measurements from the bottom of the spring before giving me a recommendation. So, I'll have to get under the car this weekend, sigh.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #43
MartinS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickologic View Post
Quote:

And how is the ride quality with the KW DDC in comfort on bad roads?
Here it's fine. But the roads aren't really bad here.

It's hard to explain. Even though the car is firmer, the ride feels much more comfy and smooth than before. It not as bumpy as with MPS.
      05-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #44
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just wanted to chime in as I installed the DDC kit this week. In order to ensure my M3 had enough rear adjustability I bought (2) 15mm spacers (part# 65030045) and I can confirm that they fit and give you plenty of height in the rear if you so desire. With the spacers installed you can still slam the rear height in the M3 so don’t worry about being too high.

I specifically mention buying 2 of them because they are sold individually even though the picture description on KW’s site shows 2 spacers. Quantity = 1. 1 spacer? 1 pair? The answer is 1 spacer. This clever bit of marketing held up my build for a couple days but Mike at XPH sorted me out in no time.
Appreciate 2
ptper589.00
zorrro436.00