Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #23
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Do you guys think a transmission fluid flush would help with the situation?

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #24
Gojira
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm so glad I'm not the only person experiencing this. This happens occasionally when I try to go into 1st from neutral and the car is stopped, getting into 1st gear feels as if something is blocking it. I will try the slight rev while pushing the shifter into 1st and see if that helps. Otherwise I move the shifter to 2nd and then back to 1st and while this helps slightly, there's always some resistance and I feel as if I'm forcing it. Never had this happen on my 135i.
      09-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #25
9M4N71U
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Same issue on 18 f80, non zcp. Usually have to wiggle it into 2nd or neutral then back into first. Annoying cause it catches you by surprise and traffic behind you starts getting antsy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #26
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

is it just tight or it literally won't go in? seriously?

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #27
ADAY18
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AY BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
is it just tight or it literally won't go in? seriously?

Literally won't go in haha. You try to go into first and it goes about half way, feels like something is just stopping it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #28
icegrill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just pump it a few times. 😉 I mean the clutch duh.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #29
Paisano
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I would recommend having the gearbox fluid swapped as a first step in the diagnosis.

If the problem persists it's most likely either a synchro ring gear that is beginning to wear out or potentially a shift fork.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #30
Remonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Avus Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
Anyone have trouble getting into first at times? I only have 17k miles on my car and recently I've have trouble getting into first gear at a dead stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAg View Post
Wonder if switching to a high quality transmission fluid (Redline or Amsoil) would help to smooth things out?
I know this is an old thread (I even replied to it back in 2018) but wanted to share that yes, changing to a better transmission fluid did 100% eliminate this issue for me. I use a lot of Motul, Torco, Redline, and others' fluids at work so I talked to their US offices about the right fluid selection - I initially thought the problem was that our cars use DCT fluid in a manual gearbox so my plan was to switch to a traditional MTF or something like Redline D4 ATF that has always been a popular choice in BMW manual transmissions. They educated me a bit and convinced me to stick with a DCT fluid. The short version is this: ATF is thin and doesn't have as many additives designed to protect gears like an MTF does, MTF is much thicker. DCT is kind of a middle ground between these two, it's thin for good efficiency and great cold shifting characteristics but it protects your gears nearly as well as a traditional MTF.

I tried Motul DCTF in my car since we had a bunch on our shelf, huge improvement. Even first thing in the morning after leaving my car parked outside all night (not that San Diego ever gets cold...), shifts are nice and smooth and I haven't once had an issue shifting into 1st gear in about 7,000 miles.

My car only had 10,000 miles on it when I switched, it's not like my OEM fluid was old by any means and now I'm getting close to that same mileage on the new fluid and it's markedly better than it was on stock fluid. You only need 2 quarts of fluid so whatever brand you choose, it's a cheap swap.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #31
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

The other option to get it in is to drop into neutral, quick rev with clutch out, then clutch in and ease the shifter into first. Once the rev's match (as they drop) and it synchronizes it slips into gear nice and easy.

Fresh fluid helped for me though (OEM at 40k miles).
      09-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #32
Kilabyte
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I know this is an old thread (I even replied to it back in 2018) but wanted to share that yes, changing to a better transmission fluid did 100% eliminate this issue for me. I use a lot of Motul, Torco, Redline, and others' fluids at work so I talked to their US offices about the right fluid selection - I initially thought the problem was that our cars use DCT fluid in a manual gearbox so my plan was to switch to a traditional MTF or something like Redline D4 ATF that has always been a popular choice in BMW manual transmissions. They educated me a bit and convinced me to stick with a DCT fluid. The short version is this: ATF is thin and doesn't have as many additives designed to protect gears like an MTF does, MTF is much thicker. DCT is kind of a middle ground between these two, it's thin for good efficiency and great cold shifting characteristics but it protects your gears nearly as well as a traditional MTF.

I tried Motul DCTF in my car since we had a bunch on our shelf, huge improvement. Even first thing in the morning after leaving my car parked outside all night (not that San Diego ever gets cold...), shifts are nice and smooth and I haven't once had an issue shifting into 1st gear in about 7,000 miles.

My car only had 10,000 miles on it when I switched, it's not like my OEM fluid was old by any means and now I'm getting close to that same mileage on the new fluid and it's markedly better than it was on stock fluid. You only need 2 quarts of fluid so whatever brand you choose, it's a cheap swap.
Our cars use DCT fluid? Did not know that

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #33
Kilabyte
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

^can anyone confirm this?

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #34
agentrnge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Interested in this info as well. First I have heard it, and any quick search/shopping for fluids does not confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #35
ShoNufff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I've been having the same issue with it going into 1st gear like something is blocking it also. I just go back into neutral and go back to 1st gear and it slides right in. I'm currently at 48k miles on a 2015. I did flush and change the tranny fluid with Redline MTL Manual Transmission Fluid 75w80 recently and didn't fix that issue. And I thought I was the only one having this issue!
Appreciate 0