Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #133
escobedo
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Has anyone been able to find out how to consistently replicate the issue?
Dealer wants to be able to replicate in order to know what to fix. I know that even if this is replicated... they will just have like 1min with the noise and it will go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #134
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobedo View Post
Has anyone been able to find out how to consistently replicate the issue?
Dealer wants to be able to replicate in order to know what to fix. I know that even if this is replicated... they will just have like 1min with the noise and it will go away.
I have experienced this only after the car sits for a day or two. But it doesn't happen often for me. It seems as if it only occurred when the car went into some kind of sleep mode. Maybe ask the dealer to see if they can put the car into sleep mode and see if it happens. It may be worthwhile to ask if they can run a diagnostic on the valvetronic. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #135
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Valvetronic stepper motor diagnostic error was found by my dealer. Of course my check engine light was on too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:08 AM   #136
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Got my car back. Dropped it off last Thursday, picked it up yesterday. They didn't end up replacing anything, here is what they wrote on the service invoice :

"I Level attempt to duplicate concern. Not successful. Based on video* noise sounds like VVT motor ticking. TSE advise to create TSARA case. Created case #####. TSARA advise to program vehicle to update ILEVEL. After programming allow vehicle to enter sleep mode. Check for noise again. Good. Release vehicle at this time."

*I showed the tech the video from this thread when I first dropped it off.
So I went to the dealership again and asked them about the ilevel update for this. They had the car for a week and couldn't get it to make the clicking sound. They used your case number and contacted bmw about the clicking. They were told to replace the valvetronic motor so they did that. I guess I was lucky they had the video I made and took my word for it. Thanks jpsimon for the help with this! I hope I don't hear the clicking anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #137
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Conveniently a month after my warranty has expired, it's back. I still don't understand how using my case # they replaced the part on your car StanislavK82, but my dealer didn't. Fucking annoying.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #138
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Conveniently a month after my warranty has expired, it's back. I still don't understand how using my case # they replaced the part on your car StanislavK82, but my dealer didn't. Fucking annoying.

Mine came back as well although different - before it was like a jackhammer banging metal together and very loud. Now it just sounds like a motor actuating over and over and over. My plan is to have them look again next time I'm in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #139
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
Mine came back as well although different - before it was like a jackhammer banging metal together and very loud. Now it just sounds like a motor actuating over and over and over. My plan is to have them look again next time I'm in there.
I'm going in tomorrow, the person I talked to said if they can replicate it maybe they'll be able to cover it since it was documented that I came in for it while I had my warranty... I highly doubt that will actually happen, but it's worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #140
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm going in tomorrow, the person I talked to said if they can replicate it maybe they'll be able to cover it since it was documented that I came in for it while I had my warranty... I highly doubt that will actually happen, but it's worth a shot.
Quote:
Quote:
Can't you take a video and show them as well? I would hope that would be enough. The first time I went it was actually bad enough to have tripped the CEL and they had a log of the issue. No CEL this time though.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #141
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't you take a video and show them as well? I would hope that would be enough. The first time I went it was actually bad enough to have tripped the CEL and they had a log of the issue. No CEL this time though.
When I went in the first time I showed them a video I found because I couldn't replicate it at the time any more. In the end they didn't replace it, just updated the software. But what's funny is my friend who went in to a different dealer showed them the same video as me and showed them my TSARA case # and BMW told them to replace his (even though they also couldn't replicate the sound in person).

I'll definitely show them my new video from yesterday, and documentation from my friend's dealer visit where they literally reference my case #.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #142
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When I went in the first time I showed them a video I found because I couldn't replicate it at the time any more. In the end they didn't replace it, just updated the software. But what's funny is my friend who went in to a different dealer showed them the same video as me and showed them my TSARA case # and BMW told them to replace his (even though they also couldn't replicate the sound in person).

I'll definitely show them my new video from yesterday, and documentation from my friend's dealer visit where they literally reference my case #.
Yeah, if you can have a video you took yourself it seems like would be much more convincing to have them replace it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #143
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Just got a call from the dealer. They reopened my case, yadda yadda yadda.. Now they're going to replace the parts at no cost to me even though my warranty has expired.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #144
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Congrats. Glad to hear they’re going to take care of you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #145
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got a call from the dealer. They reopened my case, yadda yadda yadda.. Now they're going to replace the parts at no cost to me even though my warranty has expired.
Great news! Glad it worked out and they took care of you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #146
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #147
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any updates here? The noise came back tonight.

Anyone have the VTT motor replaced and still experiencing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #148
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Any updates here? The noise came back tonight.

Anyone have the VTT motor replaced and still experiencing this issue?
Yes, I have. The first time I had it, the noise was a lot worse though - like a jackhammer inside my engine compartment and it triggered a CEL. This time, it just sounds like a solenoid firing over and over again. And no CEL. I'm going to mention it when I go in for my next service and have them look at it.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      11-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #149
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP 6MT M3

I just experienced the wonderful sound......I scheduled appointment with dealer this Saturday. I had my car sitting for 24 hours when it happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #150
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1773 View Post
I just experienced the wonderful sound......I scheduled appointment with dealer this Saturday. I had my car sitting for 24 hours when it happened.
It does seem to happen more often than not on a cold engine that has been sitting a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #151
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
They absolutely should if it was reported and documented before warranty ends. They are legally obliged to.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #152
motosportm4
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

I replaced the vvt engine. the click is gone but the chack is holy any tips what should I do?

Appreciate 1
_robert_108.50
      11-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #153
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

problems like this are just going to keep happening
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #154
motosportm4
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

what are these mistakes? What should I mention?
Appreciate 0