European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #23
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Same here... although it’s been almost a month and I haven’t gotten anything showing up on Ka. Been pretty quiet on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:41 PM   #24
VeeralS05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB ZCP ‘17

Love mine! Works great!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #25
jdOTM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Same here... although it’s been almost a month and I haven’t gotten anything showing up on Ka. Been pretty quiet on the freeway.
Would everyone who owns one say that its worth purchasing? and what kind of mounts are you guys using? whats the one where you actually mount on your mirror?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #26
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdOTM4 View Post
Quote:
Would everyone who owns one say that its worth purchasing? and what kind of mounts are you guys using? whats the one where you actually mount on your mirror?
Blend Mount with a hard power wire tapped into the mirror.

I think it's worth it for peace of mind. You also need to have situational awareness and not rely on the radar detector all the time. Use Waze and know the common traps in your area.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
Do you think it's worth the extra $200 over the R3?
$200 is less than 1 ticket.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #28
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

I got an R7 recently for $500. Still got a ticket on the way back from NOLA to Houston in Lake Charles. For some odd reason, radar didn't go off.. the LEO was hidden stationary on a median right before it got into city limits (70mph -> 60mph speed change) before doing a u-turn to pull me over.

Not sure if he used laser or just pacing me after gunning another car next to me.. but I would think the Ka would go off? Any ideas what might have happened? In hindsight, he may have been doing I/O, but wasn't paying attention.

For mounting I do the hardwire via mirror tap and then just use the OEM suction cups.

Last edited by kevolution; 09-30-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 02:42 AM   #29
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolution View Post
I got an R7 recently for $500. Still got a ticket on the way back from NOLA to Houston in Lake Charles. For some odd reason, radar didn't go off.. the LEO was hidden stationary on a median right before it got into city limits (70mph -> 60mph speed change) before doing a u-turn to pull me over.

Not sure if he used laser or just pacing me after gunning another car next to me.. but I would think the Ka would go off? Any ideas what might have happened? In hindsight, he may have been doing I/O, but wasn't paying attention.

For mounting I do the hardwire via mirror tap and then just use the OEM suction cups.
It should be on the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #30
HitemStr8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO F82

Does anyone know if an R7 can be plugged into a V1 SAVY component for a hardwire? Don't need any of the SAVY functionality, just want to use it as a simple power source.
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #31
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

mine arrived the other day along with my blendmount. Just gotta find the time to install it. I literally have a trunk full of parts lul
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #32
jdOTM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
mine arrived the other day along with my blendmount. Just gotta find the time to install it. I literally have a trunk full of parts lul
Would highly recommend updating your r7 and using vortex radar's settings.. youre gonna be so tired of hearing K band after the first two days. https://www.vortexradar.com/2019/04/...adar-detector/
Appreciate 1
Danlnyc88440.50
      10-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #33
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdOTM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Would highly recommend updating your r7 and using vortex radar's settings.. youre gonna be so tired of hearing K band after the first two days. https://www.vortexradar.com/2019/04/...adar-detector/
That's funny I was literally just looking through this last night. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #34
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have a R7 and R3... maybe I am not doing enough driving but Ka band has been almost non-existent for the past month.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #35
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitemStr8 View Post
Does anyone know if an R7 can be plugged into a V1 SAVY component for a hardwire? Don't need any of the SAVY functionality, just want to use it as a simple power source.
Thanks,
Yes it can, my R7 is plugged into my Saavy cable, works fine.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #36
HitemStr8
Enlisted Member
Rep

great info...thanks much!

Presuming you came out of a V1 into the R7? Do you like the R7 as much as the V1/find it to be just as reliable? I've been driving w/ a V1 for the past 15 years....she's been old reliable but all the BSM and other K Band flase alarms are killing me. I also don't want to use my phone as command central for my radar detector.
Additionally, I live in NYC and just got nipped by an MRCD/CT cam and paid a $50 ticket. Time for a detector that provides those alerts. Considered the Radenso, but no directional arrows after driving w/ V1 for past 15 years is too much of a change.
Very interested in any thoughts/feedback you have on the R7 as a replacement for the V1. I've read the reviews and seen Vortex vids, etc., but always like to hear others opinions.
Thanks,
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #37
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolution View Post

Are you running R7 with K-band on? If K band is on do you have it turned down or did you happen to be running city mode (in which case K band sensitivity will be set around 20% of normal)

Are you running with custom Ka band sweeps or just using the default R7 Ka "wide" setting? A lot of Stalker guns get out of tune and their frequency can drift out of bounds if you're running custom Ka sweeps.

Possible he used instant on, but if so the detector would have gone off.

If it didn't go off and he did use K or Ka "Pop" the detector would not have gone off (it's like a 67 millisecond burst), BUT pop mode has a high variance in readings so they can use it to check your speed but cannot write you a ticket based on that and it won't hold up in court. They can check your speed with Pop but then need to turn the radar on to actually check your speed in which case the gun would have gone off.

If he was stationary using laser R7 might not go off at all, it isn't very laser sensitive.

Look on the ticket as well, there should be something like method (stalker, prowler, VASCAR, aircraft, visual, lidar...etc.) which may inform how he gagued your speed. If he used radar on someone close to you R7 would have gone off.

Also stupid but you volume is not accidentally turned down and the area isn't an area you previously "locked out" by gps?

Sorry I know it's a lot but hope some of this helps...

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #38
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
great info...thanks much!

Presuming you came out of a V1 into the R7? Do you like the R7 as much as the V1/find it to be just as reliable? I've been driving w/ a V1 for the past 15 years....she's been old reliable but all the BSM and other K Band flase alarms are killing me. I also don't want to use my phone as command central for my radar detector.
Additionally, I live in NYC and just got nipped by an MRCD/CT cam and paid a $50 ticket. Time for a detector that provides those alerts. Considered the Radenso, but no directional arrows after driving w/ V1 for past 15 years is too much of a change.
Very interested in any thoughts/feedback you have on the R7 as a replacement for the V1. I've read the reviews and seen Vortex vids, etc., but always like to hear others opinions.
Thanks,
I came from 17 years using V1. I've run them side by side on some road trips. R7 kicks ass in sensitivity for Ka and K band. V1 kicks ass for laser. R7 has a LOT LESS falsing on K band as well as Ka band (never realized how much V1 would give a Ka blip that turned out to be nothing and the R7 just remains quiet). R7 doesn't filter out all the K band falses but it's pretty quiet. Love the customizability of the R7. R7 is big. For Ka band the V1 is almost as good as the R7 (it's good enough) if you have custom sweeps set up in the V1 - if you aren't running custom sweeps on the V1 then the R7 is a lot better on Ka (like 1.5 mile detection R7 vs 0.5-0.75 mile V1, still enough to get off the gas).

If you have an android phone and a V1 with the Bluetooth module get the JBV1 app (it's free). It's a ridiculously awesome app that is all about situational awareness - compiling Waze alerts, radar, and potential police airplanes into one app...you can run JBV1 as well without a V1 if you just want airplane and waze alerts. It will give waze alerts 2 miles in advance rather than the 1/4 mile alert standard waze alert. It's a cool app.

In any event 2 of my cars running V1 and I completely trust it and it's still great, except the K falses. R7 is better in every respect EXCEPT laser. V1 supposedly coming out with a new detector next few months (I suspect next year) as they are waiting on getting some patents approved.

Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #39
HitemStr8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for this info. No worries on Laser...i run ALP's up front. Once a radar detector alerts on Laser you're Fu%&ed anyway...i have the laser turned off on my V1.
Not running any sweeps on V1 and don't have an Android so it looks like an R7 for me....maily for the arrows and the MRCD/CT.
If you visit the V1 website, can't order a new V1...only accessories. Maybe Mike V decided to hang it up?
Very helpful that R7 can use the Savvy port for power.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #40
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this info. No worries on Laser...i run ALP's up front. Once a radar detector alerts on Laser you're Fu%&ed anyway...i have the laser turned off on my V1.
Not running any sweeps on V1 and don't have an Android so it looks like an R7 for me....maily for the arrows and the MRCD/CT.
If you visit the V1 website, can't order a new V1...only accessories. Maybe Mike V decided to hang it up?
Very helpful that R7 can use the Savvy port for power.
I think there will be a new V1, they have some new patents filed and not all of them have been reviewed/approved and timeline looks like early next year. So I think (and total assumption here not supported by anything) that once/if those patents are approved, then it will get released. But if they release early they have no patent protection...

I've been saved on 2 occasions from laser by my V1...both times in traffic. R7 going off on laser means pull over I imagine. ALPs way to go there...maybe my next project...

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #41
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Had my V1 since 2008, only got 1 speeding ticket back in 2015 and that was due to negligence. The cop had a laser instead of a radar. Anyway got the R7 last month and it's great so far with the red light camera and speed camera locations. I changed the settings to keep it quiet under 30mph as I do a lot of local, I also turned off X and some K and Ka bands. I got the settings from a radar forums website, one of the users is from NYC and he had the recommended settings.

The only complaint is the suction cups always coming off and there's no way to mount it on the visor like the V1.

If there's an all new V1 coming I'll try it out and see how it compares.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #42
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Man I just read this thread and it’s like you guys are speaking another language. I’ve never had a Radar detector, but I’m considering one. What’s the best one that is simple to use? Do any of these speak to you and just tell you where the radar is coming from? I was considering the r3 but then I saw the r7, then someone just said they got a ticket with the r7 by the v1 does laser better. Sheesh! I’ve been just using Waze. Thoughts? Help?!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #43
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Man I just read this thread and it’s like you guys are speaking another language. I’ve never had a Radar detector, but I’m considering one. What’s the best one that is simple to use? Do any of these speak to you and just tell you where the radar is coming from? I was considering the r3 but then I saw the r7, then someone just said they got a ticket with the r7 by the v1 does laser better. Sheesh! I’ve been just using Waze. Thoughts? Help?!
The best radar detector depends on what threats exist in your area. Where do you live? Some detectors are better than others in certain areas. I’d avoid the V1 since they are outdated and noisy due to blind spot detection systems on most cars nowadays which emit radar.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #44
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
The best radar detector depends on what threats exist in your area. Where do you live? Some detectors are better than others in certain areas. I’d avoid the V1 since they are outdated and noisy due to blind spot detection systems on most cars nowadays which emit radar.
I live in Los Angeles, specifically century city, but commute all over town due to the fact that I’ms Real Estate Broker. I also go to the canyons monthly to let off some steam and I’m sure there are cops with radars there as well.
Appreciate 0