BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Flashed the car back to stock and no more misfires

After i gave the OTS map a try i can feel 1 little misfire in 3rd gear... so i will fill up the car with pump gas and put a fuel cleaner in the tank and see if this eliminate all the remaining ethanol into my fuel system
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #24
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85m4 View Post
Flashed the car back to stock and no more misfires

After i gave the OTS map a try i can feel 1 little misfire in 3rd gear... so i will fill up the car with pump gas and put a fuel cleaner in the tank and see if this eliminate all the remaining ethanol into my fuel system
OTSs are very well tuned

Forget the ethanol for now, fill you tank with pump gas all the way till full to minimize the percentage of ethanol as much as possible

Do not refill the car until the low fuel warning shows up then do the same, fill all the way up.

I also use 99.99% blended with pump gas and believe me it's much better than E85 from station. Maybe you miscalculated the mixture witch is fine.

If your stock tune didn't show any sign of misfire then it's a good sign.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
OTSs are very well tuned

Forget the ethanol for now, fill you tank with pump gas all the way till full to minimize the percentage of ethanol as much as possible

Do not refill the car until the low fuel warning shows up then do the same, fill all the way up.

I also use 99.99% blended with pump gas and believe me it's much better than E85 from station. Maybe you miscalculated the mixture witch is fine.

Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. But why would it be a good sign if there was no misfires on the stock tune? Isnt it strange that its the only time i dont feel those misfires?

drained my tank 2 times since friday .. first time i put 6gallons on pump till it drains completely... then added 12 gallons with a lucas fuel system cleaner and now im driving it until its back to empty AND i will try a e70 mixture to see if its any better
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #26
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
OTSs are very well tuned

Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. But why would it be a good sign if there was no misfires on the stock tune? Isnt it strange that its the only time i dont feel those misfires?

drained my tank 2 times since friday .. first time i put 6gallons on pump till it drains completely... then added 12 gallons with a lucas fuel system cleaner and now im driving it until its back to empty AND i will try a e70 mixture to see if its any better
process of elimination. you are getting good advice here.
bm3nyc56.00
      09-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #27
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Just got back from a 200miles trip... still misfires between 4000rpm-5500rpm in 3rd gear and up i will need to change that injector and see if it does the job i will report back tuesday with the outcome
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #28
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep
Drives: non

Quote:
Just got back from a 200miles trip... still misfires between 4000rpm-5500rpm in 3rd gear and up i will need to change that injector and see if it does the job i will report back tuesday with the outcome
Start with simple things first
coil and plugs.
pull out the plugs and see if you see anything.

whats the mileage on car.
not to say it cant happen but the n55/s55 injectors are generally robust
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #29
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Start with simple things first
coil and plugs.
pull out the plugs and see if you see anything.

whats the mileage on car.
not to say it cant happen but the n55/s55 injectors are generally robust
Already gave those information out previously !!

Spark plugs are new from last tuesday NGK gapped to the proper gap... coil have been replaced with a brand new OEM one...

If i dont feel any misfire when flashed to stock tune and every other tune i try (stage 2 pump or stage 2 e85) i feel those misfire kinda strange right?

Car has 50k
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #30
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

You were told to replace the injector by your tuner, and you came on here, got mixed feedback, and are no closer to solving your problem.

In this instance, when a tuner has worked on your car (and seems willing to help you troubleshoot) the best advice anyone can give you is to WORK WITH THE TUNER. Here you are getting feedback from people that have limited information. The tuner has logs for your car and can make a recommendation based on DATA. Not trying to be mean, but someone needed to say it.

Who is installing your plugs and coil? You or a shop? Motor needs spark, fuel, and air to run... you have already ruled out spark, which would lead one to believe its fuel related.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
You were told to replace the injector by your tuner, and you came on here, got mixed feedback, and are no closer to solving your problem.

In this instance, when a tuner has worked on your car (and seems willing to help you troubleshoot) the best advice anyone can give you is to WORK WITH THE TUNER. Here you are getting feedback from people that have limited information. The tuner has logs for your car and can make a recommendation based on DATA. Not trying to be mean, but someone needed to say it.

Who is installing your plugs and coil? You or a shop? Motor needs spark, fuel, and air to run... you have already ruled out spark, which would lead one to believe its fuel related.
How did you even manage to say this nicely without resorting to a single exclamation point?
Appreciate 3
Laoschris491.00
bm3nyc56.00
Xer0449101.50
      09-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #32
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post

Maybe because the tuner isnt 100% sure the issue is related to the injector?

Thats why im here giving the most information out and see what kind of help/feedback i can get.

One more information i forgot to point out is how i did my own mixture after making the calculations i might have fucked up big time..

First mixture to start the e85 base tune map=

3.5gallons of pump gas + 12gallons of e99= Roughly 80% ethanol total in the full tank

2nd mixture=

2.5gallons of first e80 mixture + 2.5gallons of pump gas + 10gallons of e99= e??

3rd mixture=

2.5gallons of the addition of the first 2 mixture + 2.5gallons pump gas + 10gallons e99= e??

Now that my car has been driven on for 250miles and down to its last gallon of pump i havent feel any misfire in 5th and 6th gear mid rpm woot pulls... so this ethanol content is still mixing up my feeling about if its gas related or injector related thats why im writting it all down here to see if maybe some other users have any experience with a similar issue
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #33
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe because the tuner isnt 100% sure the issue is related to the injector?

Thats why im here giving the most information out and see what kind of help/feedback i can get.

One more information i forgot to point out is how i did my own mixture after making the calculations i might have fucked up big time..
Did you miss the part about getting your injectors diagnosed via ISTA?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...10&postcount=9

How about the recommendation about testing your ethanol content?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=12

Quote:
First mixture to start the e85 base tune map=

3.5gallons of pump gas + 12gallons of e99= Roughly 80% ethanol total in the full tank
78.9% ethanol is my calculation with this mix. But unless the engine stalled due to little to no fuel, then you still have to factor in the left over fuel mix in the tank, or as explained in full detail by your tuner: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=13

Quote:
2nd mixture=

2.5gallons of first e80 mixture + 2.5gallons of pump gas + 10gallons of e99= e??

3rd mixture=

2.5gallons of the addition of the first 2 mixture + 2.5gallons pump gas + 10gallons e99= e??
2nd mixture = ~80.7%
3rd mixture = ~81.%

Quote:
Now that my car has been driven on for 250miles and down to its last gallon of pump i havent feel any misfire in 5th and 6th gear mid rpm woot pulls... so this ethanol content is still mixing up my feeling about if its gas related or injector related thats why im writting it all down here to see if maybe some other users have any experience with a similar issue
I hate to be the one to say this, but without access to a reliable E85 source, then it's pretty much pointless to continue on with a custom ethanol based tune. Buying E99 by the pail or barrel isn't exactly cheap, nor is it convenient to continuously figure out the proper mixture.

Get your entire fuel system looked into then figure out what to do from there. You may even have a failing HPFP for all we know.
Appreciate 1
bm3nyc56.00
      09-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #34
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Did you miss the part about getting your injectors diagnosed via ISTA?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...10&postcount=9

How about the recommendation about testing your ethanol content?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=12

78.9% ethanol is my calculation with this mix. But unless the engine stalled due to little to no fuel, then you still have to factor in the left over fuel mix in the tank, or as explained in full detail by your tuner: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=13

2nd mixture = ~80.7%
3rd mixture = ~81.%

I hate to be the one to say this, but without access to a reliable E85 source, then it's pretty much pointless to continue on with a custom ethanol based tune. Buying E99 by the pail or barrel isn't exactly cheap, nor is it convenient to continuously figure out the proper mixture.

Get your entire fuel system looked into then figure out what to do from there. You may even have a failing HPFP for all we know.
Did you missed the part where i say that e85 isnt available at the pump in Canada??

Thats why i need to buy straight e99 and do my own mixture.. but like other suggested i will continue to work with my tuner even if he's 1500miles away hard to figure out the issue when your not a mechanic either.

SORRY TO HAVE BOTHER YOU ALL
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #35
Monteblueem5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 m5

It can be the injection remember when you turn up the boost
It needs more fuel if the injector is lazy it will not be able to pump the fuel that
You need for E85 or upped boost
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #36
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you missed the part where i say that e85 isnt available at the pump in Canada??

Thats why i need to buy straight e99 and do my own mixture.. but like other suggested i will continue to work with my tuner even if he's 1500miles away hard to figure out the issue when your not a mechanic either.

Actually, no, I didn't miss that part at all.

Here, I'll even quote myself and highlight things in bold to make things more obvious!!!

Quote:
Quote:
SORRY TO HAVE BOTHER YOU ALL
/thread

It's clear to me now that you didn't come here for help or advice, but rather to whine and to try to throw shade at your tuner. Most of us can see that at least half of the issue is end user related.
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      09-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #37
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

/thread

It's clear to me now that you didn't come here for help or advice, but rather to whine and to try to throw shade at your tuner. Most of us can see that at least half of the issue is end user related.
Do i really sound like im whining about my tuner?

Lol your funny if i wouldnt need any help or advice i would have never started that thread if you cant handle people asking questions because they are new to ''ethanol using'' you should stop reading/looking at threads in this section because im sure im not the only one who will do so
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #38
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteblueem5 View Post
It can be the injection remember when you turn up the boost
It needs more fuel if the injector is lazy it will not be able to pump the fuel that
You need for E85 or upped boost
Yep that was the latest conclusion before switching to pump gas map and still having the same issue which i didnt had previously on pup gas with the same amount of boost.. im replacing the injector tomorrow should know if it was the issue or not
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #39
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

do keep us posted as this is an unusual problem and valuable info for those switching to full E85 in the future.
      09-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #40
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post
do keep us posted as this is an unusual problem and valuable info for those switching to full E85 in the future.
It's not common on street driving. If on the track/heavy use, you'll see these failing more and more. Always a good idea to have a couple of spares handy.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #41
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Small update;

prior to swapping out the injector my mechanic insisted to perform a compression test (which scared me at first but hey why not) result showed that my cylinder 4 was showing 25psi less than the others.. at first we freaked out and i immediately called Cary.

Cary said that if my injector was faulty it was possible that it could have been stuck in the OPEN position which will cause false low compression test. So he said go ahead and replace that injector.

We did and the OEM one was so dirty we couldnt see all the little holes where the gas sprays so it was for sure not working properly. So we installed the new one in and once done he tried to ''calibrate it'' with a software that he has on a tablet but it was showing that it was already calibrated without him doing anything (maybe his software wasnt good enough for performing the calibration). So he sent me off for a test drive...

When reving on idle car is fine but once i go woot car starts to act weird and i cant go past 4000rpm it just wont go any further and car drives like s*@# and boost value on my datalogs are not going higher than 15psi (usually im at 22.5psi) !!

Heres a little video showing what i just wrote above=

So i took the time to look and see if my issue was related to something else beside injector calibration and found this small crack on one of my charde pipe:

I didnt had any spared CP home so i glued the little crack and put some tape on it once it was properly glued and fixed and installed it back on the car for a test drive... BUT i still have the same issue :/

So now after replacing the injector im stuck with a car that runs even worst then before i have no clue where to go from here.

Do the new injector needs to be calibrated or not? Is my temporary charge pipe fixture didnt worked and its all related to a boost leak? I really lost here and i just want the damn car to drive like it was before
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #42
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

I don't think your charge pipe fixed is going to work at all. The pressure is strong enough to crake the plastic and how can a glue holds up?!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #43
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
I don't think your charge pipe fixed is going to work at all. The pressure is strong enough to crake the plastic and how can a glue holds up?!
To be honnest i dont know i tried with what i had on hands to try and see if it would have helped at all
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #44
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
To be honnest i dont know i tried with what i had on hands to try and see if it would have helped at all
Charge pipe is cracked, showing exact symptoms of such a failure. Change them out, no need to question that part, just do it. To ask any other questions to the fact is not only going to drive you crazy, but us also.

No need to code the injector as I understand from past research, but reseting adaptations is recommended. https://bmwtis.info/removing-and-ins...ngine-bmw-s55/