proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Elusive B55 Ferric Grey II for 437M wheels

Went to my local BMW dealership today to try to purchase B55 Ferric Grey II and I was told that this color is now discontinued. I asked if there is something new that replaced it and was told no it was just discontinued.

Due that unfortunate news, called a few places to see if they can mix me a touch up paint and was told by multiple places that they just turn people to the dealership. When I told them that the color is discontinued still wasn't able to help.

So because of that, I placed an order on Ebay from Myldan Auto Design for the 3 bottle set, the paint, the lacquer, and the primer. There was 453 sold from the seller so I hope it's pretty good. 100% buyer satisfaction and 99.4% positive feedback. I had an ebay coupon which basically made it 50% off so I wouldn't be losing out too much. BMW Dealership told me they typically charge 33.98 for a touchup stick.

The forum will finally have a picture of B55 Ferric Grey II!

ETA of Delivery is May 13th~May 26th.

Stand by for pics.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
swagon13506.50
      05-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Let's see then...

and now to find the colour code of CCB calipers
      06-06-2021, 02:11 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Please don't pass judgement on my painting skills. LOL.

For the most part, it looks okay. You don't really notice it unless you're looking for it.

What I ended up doing was applying 3 layers of primer to kind of fill the chips, and then 2 layers of paint, and then applying the clear coat. I did try to wet sand it but all it ended up doing was taking off the paint and revealing the primer again. So I had to apply another layer of paint. It looks blotchy because of the deep chips. I probably should have used some sort of wheel filler, but if I was going to go through all of that effort, I might as well just get it professionally done. Buying materials like sand paper and paint was already like 50 dollars.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

Good write-up and photos. Just ordered the same kit from eBay. BMW sure does make it hard to touch up/repair the 437Ms. Hopefully I can sand everything down smoothly and use filler if needed before beginning to touch it up with the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoynt View Post
Good write-up and photos. Just ordered the same kit from eBay. BMW sure does make it hard to touch up/repair the 437Ms. Hopefully I can sand everything down smoothly and use filler if needed before beginning to touch it up with the paint.
Highly recommend using some sort of body filler and sand prior. HOWEVER! Be extra careful while sanding or else you'll have spots where its not shiny anymore due to the sanding and I am not sure how to really "fix" that, other than preventing it.

Appreciate 1
Jjoynt15.00