R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Larrikin69
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 F80

Advice on buying F80 with 75km on the clock

Hi All,

I’m close to pulling the trigger on buying a 2018 F80 M3 competition, my only hesitation is it has done 75,000km.

It has good service records (as in it has met BMW’s conservative schedule) and appears to be immaculate and well looked after.

I would really appreciate your views on whether you think I should be concerned about the mileage. My particular concerns are related to upcoming maintenance and resale value in the next five years when the mileage exceeds 100km.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

In my opinion, that's not a lot for a modern engine at all (as long as you aren't overpaying).

If it hasn't been tuned - I don't think I'd worry about the powertrain at this point.

Can you get an extended warranty? If so and you love the car, I wouldn't hesitate.

It's the long term little electrical shit that scares me with bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

I wouldn't worry about the mileage. My 2018 has about the same km and as long as all the service has been done, I wouldn't worry. I'd rather have a car that has been driven than some sunny day garage queen. Make sure you go for a test drive over some bumpy roads, as rattles and buzzing in the interior can be very annoying.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
kwikshift
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
I wouldn't worry about the mileage. My 2018 has about the same km and as long as all the service has been done, I wouldn't worry. I'd rather have a car that has been driven than some sunny day garage queen. Make sure you go for a test drive over some bumpy roads, as rattles and buzzing in the interior can be very annoying.
Agree. More often than not, the garage queens are the ones that have issues from sitting. I'd avoid heavily modded ones and like you, ask for any and all service records.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
dallastide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2019 X3

I just hit 60k and she runs like a top. My car is stock.

Edit: sorry, should have clarified… 60k miles
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
Larrikin69
Registered
Australia
Rep

Good points made about the risk of very low mileage cars (which can be just as bad as high mileage). Cars need to be driven.

The car hasn't been tuned (from what I can tell) and no mods other than factory options.

The service records indicate dealer servicing on time, with oil services at 30,000km intervals (far too long in my opinion). Spark plugs and brake fluid replaced at 60,000km.

There is an optional 3 year warranty (aftermarket, but with a reputable company).

Thanks for the logical advice and comments, much appreciated. Your input has given me the confidence to go ahead!

I am interested to know your oil service intervals? 30,000km between oil changes just seems insane to me. Also, is there any preventative maintenance you suggest I do now or in the near future? I plan on having this car for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Oil change at 10k miles so about 15k kilometers is the standard in the US.
I track my cars so I change oil at 1/2 that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin69 View Post
Good points made about the risk of very low mileage cars (which can be just as bad as high mileage). Cars need to be driven.

The car hasn't been tuned (from what I can tell) and no mods other than factory options.

The service records indicate dealer servicing on time, with oil services at 30,000km intervals (far too long in my opinion). Spark plugs and brake fluid replaced at 60,000km.

There is an optional 3 year warranty (aftermarket, but with a reputable company).

Thanks for the logical advice and comments, much appreciated. Your input has given me the confidence to go ahead!

I am interested to know your oil service intervals? 30,000km between oil changes just seems insane to me. Also, is there any preventative maintenance you suggest I do now or in the near future? I plan on having this car for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:

That service interval sounds more like non M E9X series.

This platform is every 15k kms or once a year with service light coming on at 13k kms (I'm always having service appointment timed out for the light to come on when I'm on the way there and haven't had problems with dealership).

Sparkplugs are every 3rd oil change so it's either every 3 years or every 45k kms or every 39k kms if oil change gets done at 13k kms.

First brake fluid is 3 years from vehicle build date after that every 2 years.

Hope someone else from down under can confirm in case that market has different rules. To me it sounds more like someone changed CBS intervals thinking it's the same as E92 with oil change 30k kms or every 2 years.

Definitely wasn't serviced right and I wouldn't buy that car.

Forgot to mention, with that mileage, if service was done on time, right now it would need differential fluid as well, it's called for at 5th oil change.

Last edited by F82///M; 09-23-2021 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post

Definitely wasn't serviced right and I wouldn't buy that car.
For sure those oil service intervals are too far apart. And was the break in service done?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:

I think this may be influenced by the country of sale as well - depending on environmental regulations or something.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience with oil. My oil service would pop up around 11km. I changed it a bit more often due to significant track use and everytime it came back with lots of life left.

The engine cooling on the F8x is better than any car that I've ever been in by a huge margin. I actually wouldn't be too nervous about a synthetic oil in it for that long with regular use. Especially temperature stable regions. Maybe the owner changed his own oil or did his oil changes at another mechanic too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
rudebwoi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 6MT ZCP Mineral White

First thread I’ve read with people trying to rationalize high mileage over low mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudebwoi View Post
First thread I’ve read with people trying to rationalize high mileage over low mileage
The you should read more and talk less. A three year old 75K km car is not high mileage unless you are talking about a Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #13
Larrikin69
Registered
Australia
Rep

Trigger pulled.

Car is in great condition and drives like new. I'll be changing engine oil and diff fluid right away as preventative maintenance. Such a fun car to drive!

Thank you for all of your input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      09-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
rudebwoi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The you should read more and talk less. A three year old 75K km car is not high mileage unless you are talking about a Ferrari.
You’re triggered. Never did I state 75k km was low or high. You legitimately wrote “ Good points made about the risk of very low mileage cars (which can be just as bad as high mileage). Cars need to be driven.”

Whatever helps you sleep buddy, congrats on the new car

Last edited by rudebwoi; 09-26-2021 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
WhiteF80M3CompCT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Trigger pulled.

Car is in great condition and drives like new. I'll be changing engine oil and diff fluid right away as preventative maintenance. Such a fun car to drive!

Thank you for all of your input!
Heeeeey, I gots one of those
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #16
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudebwoi View Post
You’re triggered. Never did I state 45k km was low or high. You legitimately wrote “ Good points made about the risk of very low mileage cars (which can be just as bad as high mileage). Cars need to be driven.”

Whatever helps you sleep buddy, congrats on the new car
You congrating me? Like I said, you need to read more and talk less. If you didn't get that, read who bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #17
rudebwoi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You congrating me? Like I said, you need to read more and talk less. If you didn't get that, read who bought the car.
Youre right, i stopped paying attention after that asinine high mileage comment.