EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Heritage Edition LSB

Question Looking to buy M4 possibly Heritage Edition, a few quick questions...

I am looking to buy a new weekend car, I went out today and looked at a few different cars, I thought I was set on a 911, but I have twin 14 year old boys that really enjoy my Car Hobby and I want to make sure what ever I get they can both take a ride with me in it at the same time. Today we sat in a 991.2 and it was really tight. It probably could be done, but I am not sure I want to go that route any longer.

I am a prior BMW and Porsche owner, I love both brands, I have also had Audis and many other brands for that matter.

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help answer.

1. We didn't get to test the back seat of an M4 but I have to assume it is bigger then the 991.2. I am not talking about taking road trips with the 2 of them, I am talking 15-20 minute drives. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

2. Any thoughts on the discount I should be looking for, I am aware that there is a $3500 rebate and .9% financing, I also qualify for the USAA $500. I know this is the last year of this M4, but I am also looking at the Heritage which is limited.

3. Last question, how does the DCT compare to the Porsche PDK or the Audi DCT? I am guessing it is somewhere in between.

I will keep you all updated, I really like the LSB, but honestly you can not go wrong with any of these colors, all 3 are amazing!!!

Thank you so much!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

If you buy a new M4 now, you're going to get killed with depreciation I think. If you buy a Heritage I have to imagine you're lighting $25-30k on fire within the first year. You're going to be competing with the CSs, I've seen a pair of 2020 M4 CSs in the past month for $75k with under 5k miles. On money along I'd highly recommend the Porsche.

If you're set on an M4, the backseats are fine. I have a sister whose 6'0 and she's sat in the back multiple times with the front seats pushed up a bit.
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389372.00
      07-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

I can answer the back seat question as that was one of the reasons I traded my M2 for an M4. I have a 16 year old son (5' 11") and a 13 year old daughter (5' 6"). Neither fit in my M2s backseat for more than 15 minutes. We just did a 2.5 hour trip recently and they were both comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
I can answer the back seat question as that was one of the reasons I traded my M2 for an M4. I have a 16 year old son (5' 11") and a 13 year old daughter (5' 6"). Neither fit in my M2s backseat for more than 15 minutes. We just did a 2.5 hour trip recently and they were both comfortable.
Thank you, that is good to know.

I understand this isn’t an investment it will depreciate like cars do. That said I’d rather not buy the first year of a new model and it looks like I’ll be able to get over $10K off sticker plus .9%, that offsets a good amount of depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I got a 14 year old younger brother who's 5 7 and easily fits back there. My friends who weigh 170-180 lbs and are 5 foot 9 ish maybe an inch give or take also fit fine no complaints have driven an hour or so with them.

People 6 foot and above complain tho. I'm 5 10 and I'm fine back there (190 lbs). Barely though if I was slightly bigger I would get annoyed and cramped.

As for discount, 10% pre rebates. I'd lease one though.
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I've had lots of seat time in a 718 Cayman S as well as previously owning an S5, both have a dual-clutch, and now an M4cs. Here are my subjective thoughts..

At a stoplight:

Both VAG products will "creep" forward like a traditional automatic when you let go of the brakes. The BMW will not creep forward until you brush the gas pedal. In this sense, the DCT acts more like a traditional manual and the VAG products are quicker to engage the clutch and take off like an automatic car by design.

Drive mode options:

The DCT gives the driver 3 different settings in D or S, while both VAG products only provide you with one. If you are familiar with the term AMAX (smart software clutch engagement that provides a G-force kick in acceleration post-upshift for maximum acceleration times), VAG products only provide this in launch control mode whereas the DCT gives you the option of this setting in it's highest shift mode. This is why the VAG products have that dual-clutch "fart/pop" noise during an upshift in daily driving, because they are in their more relaxed clutch/de-clutch modes, and they also have the same noise at wide-open because they cannot engage their AMAX modes without using launch control.

In other words, the DCT has the option to provide you with maximum shift mode independent of using launch control, whereas the VAG products don't offer this.

With that being said....

In overall execution, the PDK is the smartest transmission of the 3. It's always in the right gear based on the angle of the pedal, however it still feels like an automatic transmission in how it behaves. The DCT is great and gives you a more traditional manual-like feel in its engagements, but having 3 different shift speed modes means the driver has to actually select what mode is appropriate during which situation, or just set-it-and-forget-it, or use the 2 M-mode buttons as pre-selects. The DSG leans more towards feeling like an automatic in all senses, even with my APR TCU software that made it more of a "performance" TCU tune, it's still a great transmission, it's just not performance oriented in feel.

I will say, the two VAG products are very very reliable. I registered over 1,000 launch controls on my bolt-on/tune S5 can ran 10.8@127mph full-weight without hiccups...
Appreciate 3
c12h231.00
Carnut12137.00
doug_9992542.50
      07-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Regarding the rear seating area in the M4, it is definitely much roomier than the 911, especially a 991. It's not even comparable, adults can fit fit rather comfortable even on longer trips. An M4 is much roomer that a 911, we did multiple road trips in my M4 with the wife, 2 kids and a full luggage load while being plenty comfortable in the car. That being said, one of the drawbacks of the lower coupe roofline on the F82 chassis is limited headroom in the rear. I am 5'9" and my hair brushes the roof liner when I sit straight in the rear seats. Anyone taller will need to slouch a bit in the seat.

The DCT in the F8X is pretty slick in operation. It is much sportier than the DSG in our RS3. I find the DSG slurs the shifts a bit too much when driving leisurely. Plus, I dislike that they programmed the DSG to creep to mimic a traditional automatic. I prefer how you need to tap the throttle on the DCT to engage the clutch. I also like the fact that you can select the shifts aggressiveness in manual mode on the DCT through the Drivelogic settings. I use S1 for the daily drive, S2 for spirited street driving and S3 for DSC-off track driving. I've recently test driven a PDK 922, the PDK is slightly crisper than the DCT on both upshifts and downshifts, but it is not a night and day difference. I mostly drive in manual mode, so I cannot comment much on the automatic mode programming of any of the 3.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

seriously.

How do you incorporate depreciation when your buying an enthusiast vehicle?

Makes zero cents... ( some of you will get the irony)

After $30k on a vehicle your way into excess
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I went to look at it today, the dealership was closed but I got to look at the car and several others like the RS5, C63, and a few others. This area had Mercedes, BMW, Audi all next to each other.

I have to say I agree with those that say you have to see LSB in person, it looks incredible. I am going to try to stop down tomorrow to see what I can do.

I am a little bummed that none of the Heritage cars have executive package, but I am sure I will get over that. I also can not believe these cars do not have adaptive cruise control. That said this wouldn't be a DD, it would be a weekend fun car so its not a deal breaker.

I will keep everyone updated.

Thank you so much!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #10
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
Thank you, that is good to know.

I understand this isn’t an investment it will depreciate like cars do. That said I’d rather not buy the first year of a new model and it looks like I’ll be able to get over $10K off sticker plus .9%, that offsets a good amount of depreciation.
Heritage is a tidy little package, plenty of room on board so no worries. Don't let the "Bad Investment" dudes get in the way. I've narrowed my choices between LSB & Imola with the "CS" very much in play. Here's a tip, don't let your CA bamboozle you with that "collectors" garbage. Shoot for 10-12% and see what happens. Good luck, they're really a nice way to close out the model with a dash of uniqueness.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I went to look at it today, the dealership was closed but I got to look at the car and several others like the RS5, C63, and a few others. This area had Mercedes, BMW, Audi all next to each other.

I have to say I agree with those that say you have to see LSB in person, it looks incredible. I am going to try to stop down tomorrow to see what I can do.

I am a little bummed that none of the Heritage cars have executive package, but I am sure I will get over that. I also can not believe these cars do not have adaptive cruise control. That said this wouldn't be a DD, it would be a weekend fun car so its not a deal breaker.

I will keep everyone updated.

Thank you so much!!!
If it’s a weekend only car, have you considered an M4cs?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

!!![/QUOTE]
If it's a weekend only car, have you considered an M4cs?[/QUOTE]

This
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      07-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #13
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Weekend toy and wanting to reduce depreciation... I think you might be better off with a CS.

While I personally love the styling of the heritage editions, I think the CS will be more of a long term collector car in terms of value.

Heritage will definitely hold some appeal, but not as much because their differences are only cosmetic and they lack the lightweight special components the CS has.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My neighbor has a White M3 CS, nice car, I’m not against those at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I am looking to buy a new weekend car, I went out today and looked at a few different cars, I thought I was set on a 911, but I have twin 14 year old boys that really enjoy my Car Hobby and I want to make sure what ever I get they can both take a ride with me in it at the same time. Today we sat in a 991.2 and it was really tight. It probably could be done, but I am not sure I want to go that route any longer.

I am a prior BMW and Porsche owner, I love both brands, I have also had Audis and many other brands for that matter.

1. We didn't get to test the back seat of an M4 but I have to assume it is bigger then the 991.2. I am not talking about taking road trips with the 2 of them, I am talking 15-20 minute drives. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

2. Any thoughts on the discount I should be looking for, I am aware that there is a $3500 rebate and .9% financing, I also qualify for the USAA $500. I know this is the last year of this M4, but I am also looking at the Heritage which is limited.

3. Last question, how does the DCT compare to the Porsche PDK or the Audi DCT? I am guessing it is somewhere in between.

I will keep you all updated, I really like the LSB, but honestly you can not go wrong with any of these colors, all 3 are amazing!!!

Thank you so much!!!
back seats are perfectly fine. definitely more room than the 911.
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Thank you so much!!!
btw I see alot of people are recommending the CS, just keep in mind, no A/c for the rear passengers, no side storage, no center console storage etc.... one of the reasons I moved away from the CS and went for the Competition pack.

there is a dope violet color being offered with the heritage.. if you can land a manual. your are golden.

good luck
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #17
GerrS65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:

Thank you so much!!!
Weird. I also have twin 14 year old boys. Small world! We went with a 17 M3 comp. Family fits comfortably with the 4 doors. Love the car, no regrets! Picture of my 5 year old in the car as well!
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #18
GerrS65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerrS65 View Post
Quote:

Thank you so much!!!
Weird. I also have twin 14 year old boys. Small world! We went with a 17 M3 comp. Family fits comfortably with the 4 doors. Love the car, no regrets! Picture of my 5 year old in the car as well!
Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #19
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

There is no way a CS is going to hold value better than a 6MT Heritage car. The manuals always win in the long haul. And combine that with a special edition, cosmetic or not... should be a slow burn on money.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #20
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
There is no way a CS is going to hold value better than a 6MT Heritage car. The manuals always win in the long haul. And combine that with a special edition, cosmetic or not... should be a slow burn on money.
Part of me was thinking about going for the Imola Red 6 speed that is local, but honestly I wanted a DCT, I am taking a break from Manuals, I guess I am getting old. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #21
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Part of me was thinking about going for the Imola Red 6 speed that is local, but honestly I wanted a DCT, I am taking a break from Manuals, I guess I am getting old. Lol
The DCT is fabulous. Just saying that the CS cars are money pits because DCT. Just like my 2017 ZCP DCT.

Even the used 6MT ZCP cars are A) holding value like crazy and B) selling instantly while the DCT cars are a dime a dozen and sit. Trust me, I've been watching daily.

My gut says that the 6MT Heritage cars are going to hold value, especially the LSB and IR examples. Could be wrong, but we'll see.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00