proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #23
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d
non issue

air does not stay in the tubing long enough to "heat soak"
Since the length of the charge pipe is longer than the chargecooler the air spends more time in the charge pipe than it does in the chargecooler. And we all know the chargecooler affects the charge air temp. Of course the surface area of the chargecooler is much larger than in the chargepipe. So there is more temperature exchange taking place in the chargecooler than in the chargepipe. But there is no question that a hot aluminium charge pipe transfers more heat to the charge air than what a plastic one does. But under normal driving probably not enough to make a noticeable effect.

Even on a short runner such as on a intake manifold cooling it down, or avoid heat soak, makes a difference:

http://www.chillfactorperformance.co...RAPS_p_51.html

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014...-engine-build/

Here the dyno testing showed a difference of 40+hp between a hot engine and a hot engine with cool intake system. Most of the gain is probably from cooling the intercooler, but every bit of cold part in the intake system helps.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ke-more-power/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
6SPD GOD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieMike View Post
Thanks for all the reply's, its seems like a good debate.

I have asked for date of their findings but haven't been able to get hold of the data.

For the record I am already running ER charge pipes.

this is more to the fact that the said garage started developing their own charge pipes but have since stopped due to insisting they lost 20hp during testing.....

Why would running ER make a difference over for example BMS?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
The thing people dont realize is that the air flowing inside the charge pipes is much hotter than the air in the engine bay. Turbos heat air considerably when compressing air.
      09-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Since the length of the charge pipe is longer than the chargecooler the air spends more time in the charge pipe than it does in the chargecooler. And we all know the chargecooler affects the charge air temp. Of course the surface area of the chargecooler is much larger than in the chargepipe. So there is more temperature exchange taking place in the chargecooler than in the chargepipe. But there is no question that a hot aluminium charge pipe transfers more heat to the charge air than what a plastic one does. But under normal driving probably not enough to make a noticeable effect.
That's not true. When air flows into a much larger opening like the intercooler, the air slows down considerably. Just like when a fast moving stream flows into a large river, the velocity slows down a ton.
      09-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #27
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieMike View Post
So a discussion has arisen here in the UK with performance garage concerning aluminium charge pipes. They're claiming that the aluminium charge pipes heat soak the charge air resulting a loss of power (claiming up to a 20hp reduction) and advise against them.

I've tried to explain that in opinion this couldn't be possible.

So I've decided to bring it to the forum and get everyone's opinions and experience on the matter.

Thanks

Mike

I have install alluminium pipes and they HEAR AS HELL! This is true, i am thinking to go stock one or silicone, i need to investigate more
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #28
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Also after installing this PIPES sometimes if the car stays at the sun sometime after pushing (when is very hot under the bonnet) when i push to all power - i have like misfiring or smth, the car start to struggle, after cool down - it comes ok again...

so my opinion, aluminum pipes take and transfer all heat from the bonnet area to air... especially when the car stays and the temperature is high!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #29
6SPD GOD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Hence the intercooler, and the fact the chargepipes are BEFORE the IC.

I'm going to second guess my previous comments in that the compact nature of everything in this engine bay make for a bit more heat soak than, say, my previous example where I had a nicely vented hood, and much more room around said pipes.

Yeah, silicone will help, so long as they don't actually expand a bit under pressure as a lot do. But for $500 for silicone pipes...what a rip. Do up your own flanges and make your own for something that you won't see anyway. Or wrap your pipes.

What would you recommend other than the ESS $600 silicone pipes? I've blown my stock pipes twice; however, I would like to avoid alluminum
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Hence the intercooler, and the fact the chargepipes are BEFORE the IC.

I'm going to second guess my previous comments in that the compact nature of everything in this engine bay make for a bit more heat soak than, say, my previous example where I had a nicely vented hood, and much more room around said pipes.

Yeah, silicone will help, so long as they don't actually expand a bit under pressure as a lot do. But for $500 for silicone pipes...what a rip. Do up your own flanges and make your own for something that you won't see anyway. Or wrap your pipes.
That is exactly what I did
      09-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #31
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD GOD View Post
What would you recommend other than the ESS $600 silicone pipes? I've blown my stock pipes twice; however, I would like to avoid alluminum
Hey,

* https://maximumpsi.com/product/maxim...arge-pipe-kit/

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #32
Kuucheki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition Packag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD GOD View Post
Hey,

* https://maximumpsi.com/product/maxim...arge-pipe-kit/

Cheers!

I see you don't offer these anymore. Any particular reason?
Appreciate 0