Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #221
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Thanks. Yes that why I was asking that specific question as the manufacturer requires it to be flat against the back and if the headrest comes in the way we are required to adjust or remove it, neither of which can be done with the m3. BMW needs to fire their seat designer
I don't know of any car seat that will sit firmly up against the seatback in the F80, or any stiff leather backseat in any car for that matter. Agree that the geometry of the backseats is a bit unusual with respect to putting in car seats. The only time I've been able to completely secure a car seat like that has been in a cloth seat that is less rigid.
      04-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #222
morf13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Garage List
2017 BMW  [0.00]
I actually just installed the base and car seat and it fits perfect and has plenty of space. I have the nuna base... with the nuna car seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #223
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Thanks. Yes that why I was asking that specific question as the manufacturer requires it to be flat against the back and if the headrest comes in the way we are required to adjust or remove it, neither of which can be done with the m3. BMW needs to fire their seat designer
I don't know of any car seat that will sit firmly up against the seatback in the F80, or any stiff leather backseat in any car for that matter. Agree that the geometry of the backseats is a bit unusual with respect to putting in car seats. The only time I've been able to completely secure a car seat like that has been in a cloth seat that is less rigid.
I think you overdoing this. This is a standard car seat (from BMW they come with extra pain in the neck when it comes to getting to those anchors) sold on 100's of K cars all over the world and nobody complains. I m on my second bmw and must say f80 vs e90 has improved a bit when it comes to child seat security.
      04-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #224
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Your kiddo will need a helmet for the track too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #225
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Let me know if these pics answer your question...

Do you not use the rear tether for your Diono?

Just picked up Diono Radian 3r and was disappointed to find that it did not have a v-tether but rather a single-point tether which would have to go over the rear head rests... I don't see a tether installed on yours... Do you have a v-tether?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #226
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Diono Radian R120. I'm using two of these forward facing (they dont fit very well rear facing), plus a chicco keyfit 30 (infant) for our kids. The two kids in the dionos are age 6 and 3. Yes, I can fit all 3 in the back seat of the M3. They are designed to fit 3 across, they are only like 17" wide. Great crash test ratings, steel frames, etc.
This. Diono seats are the best. Highly recommended and amongst the safest and well designed seats out there. Oh and actually they fit great rear facing if you use the angle adjuster you can buy from Diono.

Have no idea why people buy shitty, poorly made seats like Recaros...probably just the branding lol.
      09-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #227
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm late to this party and absolutely did not read this entire post.

However, I have a rear facing Chico KeyFit 30 in the back. Fits nicely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MicaCeli186.00
jc05e46m3843.50
      09-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #228
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Have no idea why people buy shitty, poorly made seats like Recaros...probably just the branding lol.
You should know that Recaro has exited the U.S. car seat market as of 2017. From what I’ve read, many recall issues with their Pro Ride and Performance Ride models. Horrendous reviews from Consumer Reports. They offered swaps to new models for a while then just gave up in the U.S.

We invested heavily in 4 Recaro seats and kick myself everyday for following the Recaro brand for car seats.

Diono is cool but the lack of a v-tether kills me going over the built-in headrests on the M3 read seats.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      09-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #229
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I'm late to this party and absolutely did not read this entire post.

However, I have a rear facing Chico KeyFit 30 in the back. Fits nicely.
I second the chicco. My wife also bought some pretty slick seat protectors for both of our vehicles that prevent the imprints/dimples I. The leather.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #230
eRocks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 AW/MT/ZCP

When your kids get a little older/bigger, I think the Maxi Cosi Rodifx booster seats are just about perfect.
Attached Images

Last edited by eRocks; 09-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Adding Pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #231
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:

You should know that Recaro has exited the U.S. car seat market as of 2017. From what I’ve read, many recall issues with their Pro Ride and Performance Ride models. Horrendous reviews from Consumer Reports. They offered swaps to new models for a while then just gave up in the U.S.

We invested heavily in 4 Recaro seats and kick myself everyday for following the Recaro brand for car seats.

Diono is cool but the lack of a v-tether kills me going over the built-in headrests on the M3 read seats.
I have no problems with recarro child seat for the older child. Looks cool; otherwise not any different in function and safety from the rest of the market.
      09-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #232
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Make sure to check with your car seat manufacturer on the car seat protector. If they're not tested with them they might not be safe in a car accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #233
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not surprising. Recaro made terrible car seats. Shame on them for selling such poor products to customers as a branding exercise.

I've never had any issues about the tether on my 1M. Can't you just lift the headrest and slide it underneath? Sorry I'm not well versed on the M3's rear seat setup...
      09-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #234
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You should know that Recaro has exited the U.S. car seat market as of 2017. From what I've read, many recall issues with their Pro Ride and Performance Ride models. Horrendous reviews from Consumer Reports. They offered swaps to new models for a while then just gave up in the U.S.

I have no problems with recarro child seat for the older child. Looks cool; otherwise not any different in function and safety from the rest of the market.
Recaro seats are poor. Loads of warnings about them online. Use something else. They pulled out of the business because it became well known they are NOT selling safe car seats. Forget the brand name and design and focus on the safety of your kids..
      09-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #235
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not surprising. Recaro made terrible car seats. Shame on them for selling such poor products to customers as a branding exercise.

I've never had any issues about the tether on my 1M. Can't you just lift the headrest and slide it underneath? Sorry I'm not well versed on the M3's rear seat setup...
They got in over their head. Looked cool and that's about it. They caught the wave of folks who knew them from racing seats and nothing else. I had called them repeatedly to swap my recalled seats, they gave me new ones, and then those were also recalled. When I called to swap again they said - sorry, we don't sell in the U.S. anymore, can't help.

Yeah, the M3 rear headrests are fixed and not possible to slide underneath... v-tether is only possible option for compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #236
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I'd look to get new seats. They may look cool but not worth my kids' safety. There's a reason why they exited the U.S. market seemingly overnight after many recalls and advisories. I'll gladly keep buying the best and safest seat for my kids' weight before I keep one that just looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #237
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRocks View Post
When your kids get a little older/bigger, I think the Maxi Cosi Rodifx booster seats are just about perfect.
I like these! Need to research. I have a 30 and 40 pounder so teetering in between seat-types and don't trust them outside of a 5-point harness quite yet (they'd purposefully squiggle out).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #238
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRocks View Post
Are they able to fasten the seat belt without moving the base? I currently have a booster for my 6 yr old son, but it is too close to the seat belt and he can't fasten it without moving the whole thing way off to the side. I almost got this because it looks much more narrow at the base, but I didn't want to drop 2 hundo on something that had the same issue as the one we have now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #239
eRocks
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitToDeChoppah View Post
Are they able to fasten the seat belt without moving the base? I currently have a booster for my 6 yr old son, but it is too close to the seat belt and he can't fasten it without moving the whole thing way off to the side. I almost got this because it looks much more narrow at the base, but I didn't want to drop 2 hundo on something that had the same issue as the one we have now.

Thanks
Here is a picture of the fastener with the seat fully latched with the isofix attachments (yellow bar going into the seat latch). I have the lionheart seat protectors which I have the fold over so it doesn't cover the seat belt fastener, but no big deal.

Also, it plays nice with the headrests, especially if you stuff a small pillow or cushion back there like you see in the second pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #240
eRocks
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like these! Need to research. I have a 30 and 40 pounder so teetering in between seat-types and don't trust them outside of a 5-point harness quite yet (they'd purposefully squiggle out).
I hear ya, they are all such squiggly little fellas. The seat design keeps my 5 year old pretty snug as long as you do a belt check and make sure it's tight before driving off.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #241
Bonziii82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White 24 M3 CS

I have the city view by baby jogger - good safety ratings and is relatively slim. I'll post a few pics of it later.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/pro...r-seat/5170578
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #242
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

best infant seat for M3?

Sorry if this has been covered before, looking for the best infant seat and ideally stroller combo that would easily fit in the rear seat of my M3. My baby is 5 months old

thanks
Appreciate 0