Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #45
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
8276
Rep
8,441
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/M4GTSx2/MiniS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

For example, you pay 8k for a dry sump system from VAC

What arrives has a different oil pump than the pics.
The new oil pump mounts in the way of the engine mount.

You call them and they say that yes, that's the new design, they are sorry if you have to fabricate a new solution to attach their dry sump to an engine in a car.

They are unbelievable
Appreciate 1
JamesGames1268.00
      09-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #46
Lienrocs
Captain
Lienrocs's Avatar
593
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Encinitas

iTrader: (3)

VAC is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #47
TopJimmy
Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1788
Rep
2,226
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (2)

Yeah, Schrick needs a new distributor. I sent a built-motor form to VAC and they never responded. That was $20K they ignored…and good for me they did.

Back to the cam talk…
Increased lift or duration can only help if the head can make use of it. All the builders that I've spoken with say that a race cam comes AFTER head work, or you're wasting effort. The MILV is the older solution for increasing lift a tiny bit, but Schrick does it without altering the VANOS geometry (better solution IMO).

Also I'm told by a builder who's installed it that the S55 idles terrible on the Schrick even though there's a 50HP add at the mid to top end. There were 2 of our big name tuners who worked on it, but it still almost stalls out. This part is NOT for the daily driven car.
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | Kies Hub | FBOs | 7sec 60-130 | 11.7sec 1/4mi@124
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #48
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
8276
Rep
8,441
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/M4GTSx2/MiniS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Yeah, Schrick needs a new distributor. I sent a built-motor form to VAC and they never responded. That was $20K they ignored…and good for me they did.

Back to the cam talk…
Increased lift or duration can only help if the head can make use of it. All the builders that I've spoken with say that a race cam comes AFTER head work, or you're wasting effort. The MILV is the older solution for increasing lift a tiny bit, but Schrick does it without altering the VANOS geometry (better solution IMO).

Also I'm told by a builder who's installed it that the S55 idles terrible on the Schrick even though there's a 50HP add at the mid to top end. There were 2 of our big name tuners who worked on it, but it still almost stalls out. This part is NOT for the daily driven car.
My E90 on 292 cams needs an idle around 1k rpm so it doesn't stall. Before that, it wouldn't stall often but it felt like it was trying to stall all the time.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy1787.50
Lienrocs592.50
      10-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #49
m140guru
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: bmw m140
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: belgium

iTrader: (0)

If its properly mapped it idles fine. Adds 50-60whp 5k rpm onwards!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #50
Avto
Private
Avto's Avatar
57
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Georgia ,Tbilisi

iTrader: (0)

I have installed them on my M3 this summer, unfortunately, we have not tested them before and after dyno. But based on our 100-200kph tests on the road we shed off our 100-200 times by 0.3s which significant gain with just the bolt-on part. I was amazed how high stft went up on the idle and the car felt very torquey on 80-120% engine loads 20-40% pedal. Fuel consumption goes up by 15-20%, thanks to BMW Valvetronic system stock smooth idle and fuel efficiency is achievable without any performance drawbacks.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by Avto; 10-01-2021 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #51
Bluer2
Captain
444
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avto View Post
I have installed them on my M3 this summer, unfortunately, we have not tested them before and after dyno. But based on our 100-200kph tests on the road we shed off our 100-200 times by 0.3s which significant gain with just the bolt-on part. I was amazed how high stft went up on the idle and the car felt very torquey on 80-120% engine loads 20-40% pedal. Fuel consumption goes up by 15-20%, thanks to BMW Valvetronic system stock smooth idle and fuel efficiency is achievable without any performance drawbacks.
Are you on stock motor and stock turbo? Did you upgrade the valvesprings and valves? I'm trying to find out if it is necessary to upgrade the valvetrain to run this cam.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #52
Avto
Private
Avto's Avatar
57
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Georgia ,Tbilisi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Are you on stock motor and stock turbo? Did you upgrade the valve springs and valves?
Carbahn Valve Springs , pauter rods, and wiseco pistons, also Deka dct clutch and our own hybrid turbos
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #53
TopJimmy
Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1788
Rep
2,226
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Are you on stock motor and stock turbo? Did you upgrade the valve springs and valves?
Carbahn Valve Springs , pauter rods, and wiseco pistons, also Deka dct clutch and our own hybrid turbos
Avto, who does your tuning?
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | Kies Hub | FBOs | 7sec 60-130 | 11.7sec 1/4mi@124
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #54
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
chetrickerman's Avatar
United_States
9968
Rep
1,593
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 YMB
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Avto, who does your tuning?
He tunes his car and many others on BM3
__________________
Quote:
Torque is a measure of an engine's ability to do work; Power is the rate at which work is done
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #55
TopJimmy
Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1788
Rep
2,226
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Avto, who does your tuning?
He tunes his car and many others on BM3
I was thinking he might be ABP.
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | Kies Hub | FBOs | 7sec 60-130 | 11.7sec 1/4mi@124
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #56
MJ6
Lieutenant
MJ6's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I was thinking he might be ABP.
Your thinking would be correct.
__________________
2018 F82 ZCP 6MT: FBO, Kratos KRAS55Bi, EU5 Injectors, Dorch HPFP Lift Kit, Stage 3 LPFP, Bend Calibration Zeitronix ECA-2, BM3 Flex-Fuel Tune from ABP
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #57
m140guru
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: bmw m140
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: belgium

iTrader: (0)

We did before and after dyno. As said adds 50-60whp 5k rpm onwards. Ported head, fully built engine and ps2+ turbos.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy1787.50
      10-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #58
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
8276
Rep
8,441
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/M4GTSx2/MiniS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Can someone try this on stock turbos?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #59
Bluer2
Captain
444
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Can someone try this on stock turbos?
I need someone to try this on the stock valvetrain so I don't have to pull the head to change out the valve springs.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow8275.50
M3ZCPNYC239.50
      10-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #60
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
61
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
subbed
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #61
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
chetrickerman's Avatar
United_States
9968
Rep
1,593
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 YMB
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Can someone try this on stock turbos?
Not much point. OEM cams can max the stock turbos no problem.
__________________
Quote:
Torque is a measure of an engine's ability to do work; Power is the rate at which work is done
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST