Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Unlocked notification

Does anyone know if its possible to have a 2017 F83 notify you if it's unlocked for a period of time?

Owned since new, 3.5 yrs, problem since day 1 I go out to the car and occassionally it's unlocked... for the first couple of years I thought I was just being an idiot and forgetful but now I'm not so sure. Its not a fob battery issue, whether its unlocking itself or the fob is just not sending the signal when I press it, tbh I don't care I just find it astounding with having had all this 'connected' BS for 3 years my car was incapable of notifying me that it was sat for days unlocked. Some scroat noticed last week and got into it whilst it was sat unlocked. Just hoping there's something in either the apps or coding I can do send a notification when this happens.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFI View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to have a 2017 F83 notify you if it's unlocked for a period of time?

Owned since new, 3.5 yrs, problem since day 1 I go out to the car and occassionally it's unlocked... for the first couple of years I thought I was just being an idiot and forgetful but now I'm not so sure. Its not a fob battery issue, whether its unlocking itself or the fob is just not sending the signal when I press it, tbh I don't care I just find it astounding with having had all this 'connected' BS for 3 years my car was incapable of notifying me that it was sat for days unlocked. Some scroat noticed last week and got into it whilst it was sat unlocked. Just hoping there's something in either the apps or coding I can do send a notification when this happens.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFI View Post

Cheers

Have you tried the "My BMW" app?

FYI - Changed recently and used to be "BMW Connected"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Same here, if Im unsure if car is locked, I have a look to the app.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

If you use the "app" (either previous or current), you can always see whether it's locked or unlocked with just a click.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

As far as I know, there is no way to receive a notification. As others have suggested, you can check the app but that’s about it. Also, the app is now called MyBMW. (All of this is in the U.S., not sure if there is something different available in the UK.)
      08-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Code in locking mirrors, so if your mirrors are folded, that means your car is locked. If your mirrors are deployed, it's unlocked.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 4
      08-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Code in locking mirrors, so if your mirrors are folded, that means your car is locked. If your mirrors are deployed, it's unlocked.
This is exactly my favorite aspect of having the auto-folding mirrors coded.

For everyone mentioning the app, where do you find the current "locked" vs "unlocked" status?
I can use the app to lock/unlock the car, but don't see an indication of the car's current state.
      08-03-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post

For everyone mentioning the app, where do you find the current "locked" vs "unlocked" status?
I can use the app to lock/unlock the car, but don't see an indication of the car's current state.
On opening the app, if you see "All Good", that means the car is locked, among other things. And then if you touch (the image of) the car, a new page will explicitly confirm that it's locked.
However, on opening the app, if something is not quite right, there's no "All Good" to greet you. Then touch (the image of) the car to see what's wrong, or touch "Doors & Windows".
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      08-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post

On opening the app, if you see "All Good", that means the car is locked, among other things. And then if you touch (the image of) the car, a new page will explicitly confirm that it's locked.
However, on opening the app, if something is not quite right, there's no "All Good" to greet you. Then touch (the image of) the car to see what's wrong, or touch "Doors & Windows", all will be revealed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
However, on opening the app, if something is not quite right, there's no "All Good" to greet you. Then touch (the image of) the car to see what's wrong, or touch "Doors & Windows", all will be revealed
Does this also monitor the hood and trunk? The old app did.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cheers for the replies, appreciate the suggestions but the app isn't the answer in this situation, this is for whilst I'm at home... if I get a conscious trigger to open the app to check the status of the car I might as well grab the keys and go check to see if the car is locked. I've done 10k miles in 3.5yrs so the car sits idle for long periods, long periods where I'm just not thinking about it and it could be unlocked, 99% of the time it is but that 1% is super frustrating.
I don't ever use that BMW app tbh, the new or the old one, the fact that it can detect the car is unlocked but nobody at BMW thought it would be useful to send a device notification about that, speaks volumes to the usefulness of the app itself imo. I can see how it's useful if you're checking from a remote location and you trust the feedback you're getting from it though, which I don't. But thanks.
Was also curious to hear if anyone else has this issue of the car not locking, I've had fobbed cars for 20 odd years so it's second nature now to lock them, and I just find it really odd that the car will then just happily sit powered off for days/weeks unlocked without any notifications or horn beeps, it's all a bit archaic and not very connected.
But I guess the answer is a resounding no thanks for the confirmation! I'll just have to try and remember to do more sweeps to see if its locked.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #12
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Does this also monitor the hood and trunk? The old app did.
Yes, and "Doors & Windows" covers all.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #13
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
However, on opening the app, if something is not quite right, there's no "All Good" to greet you. Then touch (the image of) the car to see what's wrong, or touch "Doors & Windows".
Unfortunately, this is all I see on the initial app page. Tapping the car image also does nothing. I'm guessing the advanced features are model year dependent (I have a MY2016 M4).
Attached Images

08-04-2021, 04:06 AM   #14
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

This my initial start page, find the lock status within the red circled area, LCI, 2017.
Attached Images

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
FrznM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The Connected app showed a lot more information including fuel etc. The MyBMW app is honestly worse than the old app. Sure, it may look better, but a lot of the functionality and info pieces are gone. I would like to at least be able to see that info since we know it's available, just not shown on the screen.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410971.00
TideMD291.50
      08-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #16
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamirani View Post
The Connected app showed a lot more information including fuel etc. The MyBMW app is honestly worse than the old app. Sure, it may look better, but a lot of the functionality and info pieces are gone. I would like to at least be able to see that info since we know it's available, just not shown on the screen.
Agreed. Don't understand why there have been 3 apps and they never seem to improve functionality. If anything they go backwards. What's the point?
      08-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
If you hit check status in top left of the mybmw app it shows status for locks and windows along with other information selectable on the top bar. If you run home assistant you can run the app as an integration and have an alert but it's hard work.

I made a screen that shows our 3 M's with status, fuel range etc and a nice picture of each grabbed from the connected drive website but it took me hours and hours….. a determined to succeed moment!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #18
FrznM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
If you hit check status in top left of the mybmw app it shows status for locks and windows along with other information selectable on the top bar. If you run home assistant you can run the app as an integration and have an alert but it's hard work.

I made a screen that shows our 3 M's with status, fuel range etc and a nice picture of each grabbed from the connected drive website but it took me hours and hours….. a determined to succeed moment!
Do you have a screenshot? I don't see this in my app... Maybe I am just not looking in the right place or something. Or maybe the UK version is different than US.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:29 AM   #19
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
It's at the top left above "all good"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #20
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Depending on your MY, or version of iDrive, the app will have different functions. There is more functionality in the app for my wife's 2018 M3 than my 2016 M4. Same app, both cars in the app, I can check her current mileage, fuel level, and range, and it shows "All Good" if the car is locked, otherwise it will show "Vehicle Unlocked". Clicking on the "All Good" will show a different screen that says "LOCKED" (if the car is locked, otherwise it will say "UNLOCKED"). The main screen also shows the time and date of the last update from the car. It also shows "All doors and windows closed". Other features include Control Messages such as the status of engine oil, and the status of Vehicle Services, including when the next oil change, brake fluid flush, and vehicle check are due. None of that is available for my car.

As for the OP's problem with finding his car unlocked, there have been numerous threads about trunks mysteriously popping open on their own, doors being unlocked, and windows being rolled down. On the F3x forums, this also includes sunroofs being opened. In nearly every instance, it appears it was from the key fob being in the driver's pocket and being accidentally triggered.

To the OP: When you drive your car and park it at home, make sure it's locked. Then carry the key into the house and hang it on a hook, out of the way. If you throw in on the counter or in a bowl, for all you know, your cat (if you have one) could be stepping on the remote and opening/unlocking things!

Also, if you don't see the "All Good", as I don't for my M4, you can always just press the lock icon to make sure that it's locked.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #21
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Depending on your MY, or version of iDrive, the app will have different functions. There is more functionality in the app for my wife's 2018 M3 than my 2016 M4. Same app, both cars in the app, I can check her current mileage, fuel level, and range, and it shows "All Good" if the car is locked, otherwise it will show "Vehicle Unlocked". Clicking on the "All Good" will show a different screen that says "LOCKED" (if the car is locked, otherwise it will say "UNLOCKED"). The main screen also shows the time and date of the last update from the car. It also shows "All doors and windows closed". Other features include Control Messages such as the status of engine oil, and the status of Vehicle Services, including when the next oil change, brake fluid flush, and vehicle check are due. None of that is available for my car.

As for the OP's problem with finding his car unlocked, there have been numerous threads about trunks mysteriously popping open on their own, doors being unlocked, and windows being rolled down. On the F3x forums, this also includes sunroofs being opened. In nearly every instance, it appears it was from the key fob being in the driver's pocket and being accidentally triggered.

To the OP: When you drive your car and park it at home, make sure it's locked. Then carry the key into the house and hang it on a hook, out of the way. If you throw in on the counter or in a bowl, for all you know, your cat (if you have one) could be stepping on the remote and opening/unlocking things!

Also, if you don't see the "All Good", as I don't for my M4, you can always just press the lock icon to make sure that it's locked.
This!

One of the reasons why these key fob covers are so popular.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.57.58 PM.png
Views: 1386
Size:  538.0 KB

Stop wearing tight jeans....

Last edited by GearRex; 08-05-2021 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #22
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post

I figured the capabilities for features/monitoring in the new app were MY dependent (have a MY16, although head unit is retrofitted to touch screen and ID6).

What I do find frustrating with the new app is that many of these features were functional with the old Connected app. All I had to do was get in the car and let the phone connect over WiFi or BT, and the app would sync with latest info (mileage, fuel level, range, etc).

So, the functionality/capability is obviously there, just not active in the app for whatever reason. Really takes the shine off the "new, improved" app update.