European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #23
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
I've had many different helmets over the years but I prefer Arai because of the fit. I've had bad accidents in both Arai and Suomy so I know a thing or two about how they work.
This helmet was a Christmas gift from the wife (after I destroyed my last helmet thanks to Chuckwalla) and it fits and feels very comfortable like a typical Aria.
Most important bit of advise I have is to go full face, I know many drivers that don't.
The full face is the best advice in this entire thread. I always run with my visor down also for good measure. It only took one godshot for me to appreciate a full face with a visor. I had my visor up on a session at Buttonwillow and had a small piece of tire come flying through my driver window and hit right at the edge of the helmet opening closest to my eye. An inch over and it would've hit me right in the eye. Small chance of this happening again, but always better safe than sorry.
I echo this sentiment. Had a wasp fly in my helmet once when I had the visor up. Fortunately I wasn't stung but it hit my face at speed and crawled around the inside of my helmet. A little distracting to say the least!
      11-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I echo this sentiment. Had a wasp fly in my helmet once when I had the visor up. Fortunately I wasn't stung but it hit my face at speed and crawled around the inside of my helmet. A little distracting to say the least!
Not to mention if you have a huge off into a wall, debris will be all over the place, and if you have an off into gravel, sand and stuff everywhere.

No reason not to use closed faces
Appreciate 1
Harpinc94.00
      11-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #25
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Stilo ST5 recommended by a few people on this site. Fits perfectly on my head. Purchased from Simpsons World.

I would recommend you try out the helmets in store. I spent two hours trying out a few helmets and making sure they fit comfortably on my head for at least 15 minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #26
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
The full face is the best advice in this entire thread. I always run with my visor down also for good measure. It only took one godshot for me to appreciate a full face with a visor. I had my visor up on a session at Buttonwillow and had a small piece of tire come flying through my driver window and hit right at the edge of the helmet opening closest to my eye. An inch over and it would've hit me right in the eye. Small chance of this happening again, but always better safe than sorry.
Definitely agree, and I had a very similar experience. I started out with an open-face helmet, but bought a closed-face model when I signed up for an HPDE at NJMP since it was required by state law there. I always ran with the visor up and sunglasses on if necessary, but coming around the hairpin at Barber in 2012 a rock or marble or something came in through the open window, through the open visor, and hit my cheek just below my sungasses hard enough to leave a mark. Visor down from then on no matter how hot it was.

That wasn't the only time something's come through the window, either, as a small object struck my left shoulder on the front straight at VIR. Never found out what it was, but it stung!
      11-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #27
danimal87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_stinsson View Post
I decided to stick to the M theme
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
I've seen that helmet online and thought the same thing. Had a Shoei in the past for my bike and loved the fit. Do you have any issues at the track, since it's a motorcycle helmet?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #28
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_stinsson View Post
no problems whatsoever. this is a Snell M2015 so most clubs allow it. although there might be some out there that require strictly SA2015, not that I've ever driven with.
On the west coast I've never been with a club that allows motorcycle helmets. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a motorcycle helmets in a car. Totally different design uses.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #29
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I just use a cheap SA2015 certified Conquer helmet that I got on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Conquer-SA201...conquer+helmet

As far as visors. At Laguna, the workers in the pit ask you to put the visor down as you head out. There is a ton of crap in the air at the track events: bugs, chunks of tires, and small stones. It is best to keep your eyes protected.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #30
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Just an FYI. If you helmet size is on the larger side, Simpson makes some that will fit. I have the Super Bandit SA2015, for me there were few options.

Seconding the full face note, get that. It is required, or highly advised, on some tracks.
      12-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
20181101_0921 - Willow Springs - 6D - IMG_8976_100 by JMG, on Flickr

Brand/ model: G-Force REVO Carbon
Pros: Comfortable for my giant melon head. Not too expensive for a Carbon Fiber helmet.
Cons: Fogs easily for me. It's carbon fiber, which is a little overkill for me, but it was the most comfortable helmet I tried on that day.
Cost:$475
Where you bought it (website): windingroad

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #32
slowpoke247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: daily

Garage List
2016 BMW/M3 F80  [0.00]
another +1 for the HJC.
I assumed my helemt was just fine for an upcoming event, only to find out it wasn't! Had to find a helmet at the last minute, and found myself running around in the rain (who knew water falls from the sky in CA) trying to find somewhere to try on helmets. Wound up at WRR in fountain valley and was helped by Peter, pretty cool dude. Tried on the different brands that were there and wound up with the HJC, it just felt right when I put it on, and it felt even better when I found out the price
I think the g force helmet was also priced well, but my head was much happier with the shape of the HJC.
After 1 weekend of driving, I have no complaints and looking forward to more seat time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
+1 i have this helmet too. Got it as part of WRR "starter" bundle. I like it and used hjc for MC in the past also.

Unfortunate, I never got super comfy in Arai or Shoei helmets. I do think that fit aspect is super important, OP

Hjc ar10 III for $300 is 3.6lb vs 3.2lb for a Stilo ST5 Gt carbon fiber helmet for $1.9k

Lighter is better and CF is cool, but at this time, I spent the money on other stuff.

I used to have a ZAMP helmet for $150, OP and it was fine for me. It had the same SA2010 sticker as everyone else and I haven't seen data that protection is better the more $$ you spend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
On the west coast I've never been with a club that allows motorcycle helmets. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a motorcycle helmets in a car. Totally different design uses.
I looked into it a while ago and SA means it can take multiple hits against a roll bar.

i guess another key thing is the SA helmets have the hans posts pre drilled, but for stock 3 point street car belts and no roll cage street cars these wouldn't be key factors.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #34
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I looked into it a while ago and SA means it can take multiple hits against a roll bar.

i guess another key thing is the SA helmets have the hans posts pre drilled, but for stock 3 point street car belts and no roll cage street cars these wouldn't be key factors.
SA is meant for multiple impacts which may or may not be a rollbar. Whether its relevant in a non-caged car doesn't matter. SA helmets are also tested for different types and speeds of impacts. Motorcycle helmets typically don't have fire retardant materials incorporated either. But maybe thats not relevant in street car cause they never catch on fire?

Recommending people use motorcycle helmets for track days is plain irresponsible. Maybe you should recommend using expired helmets too?

You know what they say, its always best to cheap out on safety gear! You have your $80k M3 but you want to save $100 buying a cheaper helmet....
Appreciate 3