Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
lubricious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F80. MG/SO.

BMW Alarm system question

I've tried to search the forums, but to no avail...

Does anyone know what the car alarm system is set to do once it goes off? Here's my situation...

I parked my car at work today (non-valet). Reportedly, the valet guy was driving a big truck that made a lot of noise and my alarm system when off. He tells me after a minute, the alarm stopped, but the lights kept flickering on and off for 5 minutes. This is when he went upstairs to find me. I couldn't break away from what I was doing and gave the keys to someone to unlock and relock the car... the car is fine now, but my question is do the lights keep turning on and off until the alarm is reset with the key? This seems quite annoying and potentially could drain the battery if I it went on all day/night.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
they will stop blinking after a while...I'm not sure of the exact number of minutes. Mine did the same thing and I allowed them to blink for a good bit and got distracted and didnt see when they shut off..couldnt have been more than 15 minutes though.

The car will auto shut off everything even interior lighting after about 20 minutes so the battery doesnt go dead...it will even kill the USB port and 12v outlets. You really cant kill the battery unless you have something faulty draining it.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
lubricious
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
they will stop blinking after a while...I'm not sure of the exact number of minutes. Mine did the same thing and I allowed them to blink for a good bit and got distracted and didnt see when they shut off..couldnt have been more than 15 minutes though.

The car will auto shut off everything even interior lighting after about 20 minutes so the battery doesnt go dead...it will even kill the USB port and 12v outlets. You really cant kill the battery unless you have something faulty draining it.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

If you hit the BMW logo on the key within 10 seconds of locking it you should see the red alarm light stay on for 2 seconds. This means the vibration/motion alarms have been deactivated. If you're parking in a secure lot (eg work) but there's still a chance of somebody in a loud car driving by you should do that to avoid false alarms.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
lubricious
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
If you hit the BMW logo on the key within 10 seconds of locking it you should see the red alarm light stay on for 2 seconds. This means the vibration/motion alarms have been deactivated. If you're parking in a secure lot (eg work) but there's still a chance of somebody in a loud car driving by you should do that to avoid false alarms.
great suggestion - thanks!
Appreciate 0